Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

"Roll" yer own? No pun intended with the title.

I've become intrigued with some of the Kayaks I've seen around the Web, not least of which those that we find on Yostwerks.com -

I haven't played with any sort of power tools for years and years. Apart from two drill motors that somehow survived me, my wife, my children and neighbors borrowing, I have no such tools any longer - and I'd like to build a list of must-haves.

What tools/power tools would I ( or anyone, really ) need to have on hand to build Tom's boats ... especially the wood frame designs?

Drill and Table Saw come to mind immediately. Yet even that's a rather plain and unspecific way to identify a tool; and I'd want to know in detail. :( Also how accurate/precise should each unit be for this sort of thing (put differently, what 'grade' tool would be warranted) ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:40 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'm first to respond to my own post :shock: But ...

Before I started the thread I searched for a reasonable list of workshop tools and found some here, some there and felt that was non-responsive .

All it took was a re-phrasing of my search to yield a fairly complete list of tools. These are just woodworking tools, however. No metalwork or electrical :

Power Tools -

Cordless Power Driver / Screw Driver
Dremmel Tool
Heat Gun
Hot Glue Gun
Right Angle Grinder
Sander – Belt Sander
Sander – Detail Sander
Sander – Random Orbital Sander
Saw – Band Saw
Saw – Circular Saw w/Rip Gauge Attachment
Saw – Jigsaw
Saw – Saber Saw
Saw – Table Saw
Saw Dust Control System
Shop Vac

Non-Power Tools -

Awls
Bevel Gauge
Block Plane
Chisels
Clamps – Quickform, Spring, Block, Wide-mouth Block
Combination Square
Combination Waterstone/Wetstone
Hammer
Hand Saw - Med Kerf
Hand Saw – Japanese Pull Saw
Hand Saw – Thin Kerf
Hand Saw – Wide Kerf
Jack Knife
Pliers
Pockethole Jig
Punches
Safety – Disposable Gloves
Safety – Dust Mask
Safety – Goggles/Face Shield
Safety – Painting Respirator
Sanding Blocks
Saw Horses
Sewing Needles, Various
Sharpening Jig
Spoke Shave
Stapler
Vice(s)
Work Bench/Surface
Wrenches

Of course, I'm the only one who asked.

Too much stuff, or just the wrong stuff on the lists ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:41 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

If I wanted to get into make-my-own kayak, I think I'd read the instructions on Tom's website very carefully, and make notes as I went along about what tools are needed for what jobs. For example, you've listed sewing needles, but I have the impression that most of Tom's designs glue fabric rather than sewing. (I could be wrong.) And all those different saws...? I don't even know what they all do, but are they necessary? Might be worth reading reports from people who have done self-build, because you could pick up some ideas there about what tools were necessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:44 am 
Although there is no complete list on Tom's site of tolls required many of the sections begin
with a list of tools and materials required.

ie. http://www.yostwerks.com/HDPE0.html

On the HDPE cross sections

Tools Required

Drill Press - Since the holes need to be precision cut, a drill press is recommended. A 3/4" Forstner bit is used.

Jig Saw - A standard jigsaw with smooth cutting "wood" blades are used to cut out the sections.

Blades and bits last a long time when used for cutting and drilling HDPE.

or here http://www.yostwerks.com/SBStringersA.html

for advice on making strings with a electric hand saw. I'm sure you
could use a hand saw if you wished.

Add to that the comprehensive collection of photos for most stages of construction which
often shows the tools being used you should be able extract a list of tools required which
I'm guessing won't be a huge list.

Tim W

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

maryinoxford wrote:
If I wanted to get into make-my-own kayak, I think I'd read the instructions on Tom's website very carefully, and make notes as I went along about what tools are needed for what jobs.

He's been very good about that .

Tom's "style" - if that word is appropriate in this context - is to show what's going on in a photo. It seems to be his own flavor of the 'Wordless Instructions' technique . His projects, however, do require some explanatory notes; but he's got it down close to the minimum.

Quote:
For example, you've listed sewing needles , but I have the impression that most of Tom's designs glue fabric rather than sewing. (I could be wrong.)

Right.

He actually has touched on stitching up SOF frame coverings and sealing. I picked up the reference from another source. The list I supplied is a compilation of what I've seen on Yostwerks along with one or two other small boat building sources.

Quote:
And all those different saws...? I don't even know what they all do, but are they necessary? Might be worth reading reports from people who have done self-build, because you could pick up some ideas there about what tools were necessary.

Aha !! You're on to me now :wink:

Actually, I posted the list hoping to get a Tug-O-War of input to ultimately arrive at a trusted list of core tools. Mind you, not the greatest number, nor the fewest possible; just the smallest set of the best tool types that would get the job done ably - lacking few things that could potentially frustrate the home-based builder .

The tools I list wouldn't handle metal fabrication, per se. There are other aspects to building that these tools won't address, or rather - won't address 'properly.'

SOF, Plywood { Stitch-and-Glue } and Strip Building are possibly the only build methods my tool list would apply to.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:43 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks for responding, Tim -

I should've addressed your post simultaneous with my response to Mary in Oxford. It applies equally well to your thoughts .