Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:14 pm 
faltbootemeister

This question doesn't fit here, squarely.

That said -

Boat designs generally have a definite scope and purpose.

With that in mind, what sort of trouble would a builder get into if s/he deviated from a basic design to add, say, more volume to the superstructure, but kept everything from the gunwales down untouched?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:51 pm 
Quote:
what sort of trouble would a builder get into if s/he deviated from a basic design to add, say, more volume to the superstructure, but kept everything from the gunwales down untouched?

The was a TV documentary - on Discovery channel I think, about few big crab or shrimp boats capsizing because of high superstructure. It had too high superstructure already, but it was alright until storm hit them while they had added sort of superstructure - tall stacks of heavy crab traps on deck. Happened very fast, they didn't even have time to send SOS signal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:16 am 
faltbootemeister

Alm wrote:
Quote:
what sort of trouble would a builder get into if s/he deviated from a basic design to add, say, more volume to the superstructure, but kept everything from the gunwales down untouched?

The was a TV documentary - on Discovery channel I think, about few big crab or shrimp boats capsizing because of high superstructure. It had too high superstructure already, but it was alright until storm hit them while they had added sort of superstructure - tall stacks of heavy crab traps on deck. Happened very fast, they didn't even have time to send SOS signal.

I watched that same television piece. Very interesting detail they shared.

My grandfather was a British Ex-Patriot. Before moving to the States he spent eight years in His Majesty's Royal Navy during WWI and immediately after. He wove stories of huge seas and having to pull watches in the Crow's Nest. He claims to have been in the Crow's Nest some 40-or-so feet above the deck looking up at the crest of swells which he estimated at being another 30-odd feet above where he was positioned. As a young teenager I thought he was a nut just telling "fish stories." Evidently not.

Anyway, I ask the original question because some of the designs on Tom's site, for instance, are quite low profile - something he states clearly in the text of the manuals. I know that I'd need greater volume under deck and a larger coaming opening (primarily fore and aft , but laterally to a lesser degree as well) .