Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Falco Folding Kayak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:57 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Here's pics of the nearly completed "Falco" .... Named after my Aprilia, not the bird :D

The Falco is an easy to build and assemble , inexpensive folding kayak that weighs under 25lbs.

It uses inexpensive big box store 5mm plywood side panels covered in PVC ... in lieu of expensive aluminum framing and sponsons.
The panels connect with PVC hinges for folding and the hinges are covered on the inside with 5mm ply sliding plates that provide
rigidity and strength to the folding joint. Hull bottom and deck are PVC skinned.

The plywood cross sections are PVC hinged on one side with Velcro closures on the other. These and the sliding panels make assembly
very fast ... under 5 minutes. I'm adding the deck and folding coaming today but pics make more sense before the deck is attached.
There will be no zippers or other deck closures for simplicty and a dry ride. Assembly, or should I say unfolding takes place through the coaming.

A wood keel can be substituted for the aluminum keel and HDPE snaps to lower costs even more. I prefer aluminum.

The "Falco" is 12' X 24". Folded size is 48" X 12" X 4" and weight will be about 22lbs. Cost of materials is under $100.00US.
After testing ( when the ice melts), I'm going to make a 16ft Greenland, a small double, and possibly an 8' childs version.

The links/pics below provide more detail into the construction and assembly process.

Quote for the day ..... "It easy to design a complicated folder, but very difficult to design a simple one" :mrgreen: ... Regards, Tom

http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoCompleteAll1.jpg - The completed kayak

http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoSkin3B.jpg - PVC Skin

http://www.yostwerks.com/AssyC.jpg - Assembly process

http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoDeckridgeSeat.jpg - Folding deckridge and seat plate. The seat plate can be used alone or with a
foam or inflatable cushion.

http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoDecksAll.jpg - Cutouts for coaming and deck hatches.

Last edited by Yostwerks on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Falco Folding Kayak
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:11 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The pvc hinge for the deck ridge is a nice touch to an already fascinating project, Tom :-)

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Last edited by siravingmon on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Most interesting. I look forward to reading about water trials. :-)
Thanks for sharing. All the best,
Ian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:29 pm 
forum fan

Smart, smart, smart... thanks for sharing the pictures here.
I already bought a full roll of pvc. Tomorrow I will go to buy the velcro. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:18 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks everyone for your comments. It will be a while before testing due to the lakes being frozen,
followed by the usual mods, and then plans being made available on my website. I hope to have three
designs available.

Today is a ski day, so the finishing touches will have to wait until tomorrow. This folder is as inexpensive and
easy to build as my non folding wood frame SOF's ... and that's something I never would have thought possible.

Regards, Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 pm 
forum fan

I've been thinking it over... you likely won't need full lenght ply for the gunwales. Imagining to use your ordinary ½ inch stringers, you'll need a small rectangular plate just to keep the stringers on their positions and provide strenght.
And to block the joints you could simply slid small ½ ply rods (the brown rod is lashed to the plate) inside of a couple of small ½ aluminum sleeves (in red).
The aluminum sleeves will keep in place the plate, the stringers and the rods.
The pic is just a basic draft... of course you have to use more aluminum sleeves than I painted.
I didn't paint the pvc hinges that will lash the plates together.
It's just my contribute, though the Falco project doesn't really need it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Lodeon on Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Yostwerks wrote:
<snip> It will be a while before testing due to the lakes being frozen, ... <snip>

Regards, Tom

I guess there are some advantages to Britain's temperate climate then. I'd forgotten how cold it gets over there ... :D
Guess I'll just have to be patient ... maybe go for a paddle to keep myself busy. :wink:

Happy skiing, and designing.
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Lodeon wrote... I've been thinking it over... you likely won't need full length ply for the gunwales. Imagining to use your ordinary ½ inch stringers, you'll need a small rectangular plate just to keep the stringers on their positions and provide strenght.

Nice drawing. The stringer / plate technique has been used as long as there have been commercial folding kayaks, and I've used it myself on a couple of occasions.
I don't need ply panels, I want them :D

Tom

Last edited by Yostwerks on Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:38 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
idc wrote ... I guess there are some advantages to Britain's temperate climate then. I'd forgotten how cold it gets over there ...
Guess I'll just have to be patient ... maybe go for a paddle to keep myself busy.

Oddly enough, I paddle and bicycle over half the year all the while wishing winter would return so that I could get back to my first love,
Nordic Freestyle (skating). I skied over 60 days last season, and have already skied 15 days so far this season. I build boats in winter to pass the time between ski days :D

My only regret in winter is that I can't do much motorcycling :cry: ... I'll make up for it in Spring !

Tom

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:02 pm 
forum fan

What keeps the keel from unsnapping from the cross sections, once the paddlers weight is loaded?

It seems as though the weight of the paddler would unsnap the keel from the HDPE connections on the cross section.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:49 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
It seems as though the weight of the paddler would unsnap the keel from the HDPE connections on the cross section.
What keeps the keel from unsnapping from the cross sections, once the paddlers weight is loaded?

It's because the water is pushing up as the paddler's weight is pushing down. It's more or less a standoff :D
This is no different than any of my aluminum frame / HDPE boats, or a Feathercraft for that matter.

Here's a pic of the Falco with it's aluminum folding coaming and 9" roll-up dry bag style hatches. I made the hatches from clear vinyl
to let in more light during assembly and also to allow easy access to cross sections 1 and 4. I still need to add buckles or
velcro to them for closing as well as attaching the deck rigging, plus a couple other minor things.

It always seems like the last 10% always takes 90% of the time :mrgreen:

I saw a small section of ice free water on a lower elevation lake yesterday ( 5,800ft), so I might get in a short test ride later this week. Brrrr !!

Tom

http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoDryBag5.jpg - Falco nearing completion

Last edited by Yostwerks on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:40 pm 
paddler

Tom, that's really elegant. Folds flatter, assembles faster, cheaper to build...

Can't wait to see the Greenland version :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:09 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Tom, that's really elegant. Folds flatter, assembles faster, cheaper to build...
Can't wait to see the Greenland version

Thanks... The Falco 16 (Greenland) will be 16' X 21" / 488cm X 53cm.

http://www.yostwerks.com/Falco16All.jpg - Falco 16 drawing

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Very nice Tom, can't wait! Looks just like a Sea Rider :-)

Simon

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:23 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Quote:
Very nice Tom, can't wait! Looks just like a Sea Rider

Simon

... Similar yes, though modified / simplified in several respects. The sliding plywood plates will ride on
1/4" (6.35mm) aluminum channel rather than hardwood rails. This is both simpler and more compact.

I proclaim that the Falco 12 is finished, or stated another way .... I quit :mrgreen:

Tomorrow is officially a ski day !

Tom

The coaming and deck rigging fold with the boat, so no setup time is required for either one.
http://www.yostwerks.com/FalcoRiggingN.jpg

Last edited by Yostwerks on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next