Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:06 pm 
paddler

I recently ran across this folding kayak designed by Anton Willis and constructed from a single sheet of 12' x 5' corrugated plastic (aka coroplast or corflute).

I thought it looked really interesting considering he is using only folds to strengthen the kayak longitudinally. The guy who created it has a patent pending on the concept and I ran across his patent application which included a layout.

Looks like an interesting project. Almost certainly not as seaworthy as the inflatable folder designs Tom has provided, but might be a fun flatwater boat for small waterbodies.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:07 am 
Site Admin

Very interesting. But I wouldn't get in in unless I filled it with float bags ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:13 am 
paddler

Agreed, it would need supplemental floatation. I'm certain it isn't as strong as Tom's folders, but again I think this is just for near-shore paddling in flatwater rivers and small water bodies. Anton has posted photos and videos on facebook (under Civil Twilight) with him paddling in calm conditions. He has the annoying habit of not wearing a lifejacket when doing so. I saw a series of pictures where some San Francisco Bay Area Sea Kayakers climbed in with spray decks, life jackets and helmets and did some eskimo rolls with it. Another set of pictures has him paddling around Treasure Island in the SF Bay. I'd really want to see what this thing can withstand before I'd want to trust it to such a large body of water. Seems like it would be fine for the tidal influenced rivers of the Sacramento delta.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a bit concerned about the material strength, too. The Foldlite boats were made of Coroplast, and they were frightening to paddle. Of course, that was a different construction.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:11 pm 
paddler

https://picasaweb.google.com/billv999/OutTheGate15ft16secAndAGaleWarningAndFoldUpBoat#

I found the pictures of folks rolling the fold-up kayak. I made an 8' model out of a scrap of campaign sign to see how it works. It is interesting. It might even be big enough for my 10-year-old to paddle around in. I haven't put it into the water yet, but just from moving it around it seems a lot sturdier than I expected.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

It's an impressive design- much more so than the Foldlite. What would concern me is the possibility of a failure of one point leading to a complete collapse. Still, unlike the Foldlite, you wouldn't find yourself trapped inside.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:33 am 
recent arrival

oninesm wrote:
https://picasaweb.google.com/billv999/OutTheGate15ft16secAndAGaleWarningAndFoldUpBoat#

I found the pictures of folks rolling the fold-up kayak. I made an 8' model out of a scrap of campaign sign to see how it works. It is interesting. It might even be big enough for my 10-year-old to paddle around in. I haven't put it into the water yet, but just from moving it around it seems a lot sturdier than I expected.

Hey there, that's an awesome idea. I'd like to try making an 8 footer as well. Would you happen to still have your design plans or rough dimensions for it? Do I need to do anything special to make the folds on corrugated plastic? I'm guessing I can't just cut one surface like the way normal folds are done since that might make it leak.