Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi all,
Posting this here as didn't get much of a reponse on the kayak building forum. Maybe a Feathercraft owner can talk from experience in surf?

I've put my Cape Falcon F1 on a strongback and added jigs for where I'll be adding hdpe cross sections for the alloy tube folding replica I want to build. Photo at link below (double click to see the whole kayak) https://picasaweb.google.com/103530664582188195084/F1?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOiAxqOCq6ykUA&feat=directlink

Cross section positioning mimics the original cross members, which define the abrupt curves on the F1 gunwales, apart from number 3 cross section, slightly further back to support a slightly smaller coaming (very short legs).
However, the spacing between cross sections in the bow seems quite big, up to 26". Should I add a couple of extra cross sections between 2/3 and 3/4? I won't be using it in more than 3 to 4’ breaking surf if I can help it (I've side surfed stuff this big but it was a bit scary) and it'll be for day use only, but I like a rigid hull.

PS Brian Schulz was OK with my telling him I was going to do this (there won't be any dimensions as the jig should take care of all of that)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:47 pm 
Sinon,
I love the idear of an F1 folder the F1 is the best kayak iv ever paddled, I youse mine for 5 day trips, fishing, surfing and general muking about. Being a relative new cumer to folders im realy interested in your progect, I have a fethercraft cahuna ,I went for it becos it closly fited the length of the F1, I wold consider plasing an extra station in the bow end to help stifen it up as the cocpit is back a bit. It wold also be an advantage to have the secondery gunnal, I think its one of the secrits of the design. Also look at the Mariner Coaster, its the kayak the F1 was modeld of. Are you going to youse sponsons? Or make it like the trek folder? I have a mate working on replasment pump arms for the trek that youse a screw, cold be a good way to tention your frame, i will send sume pics when I see how he has made them.
Best regards
Mick
Flat earth kayak sails

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Hi Mick,
I want to build a folding version for pretty much the same reasons as you. Even though my F1 skin is too loose as our group ended up using a heavier fabric that Brian doesn't like as it's hard to stretch tight, my F1 is still the easiest kayak I've experienced to paddle up to 4 knots (mine hits a wall at 4.5 knots) and is completely neutral in side winds
I don't get much free time so haven't got far with the folding replica yet. So far I've just got the female/negative finished https://picasaweb.google.com/103530664582188195084/F1?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOiAxqOCq6ykUA&feat=directlink
Tom Yost thought I probably won't need a 4th cross section in the bow section - it's a deep kayak in the bow section after all, and I'm including the secondary gunwales, which will also stiffen it up a bit. I wasn't thinking of using sponsons but just Feathercraft style extenders in the cockpit, but if screws make it easier without adding much weight I'd be very interested!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:59 pm 
recent arrival

how did this project turn out? I'm planning on building one from scratch . going to attempt to take the lines off the little info that's on the f1 site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:07 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I abandoned the project when I bought my Quest 135. It's easier to paddle than my F1 and surfs better. The F1 is a bit better in really rough seas and top speed in a sprint is a bit higher but other than that the Quest is hands down the better kayak for me at least