Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Alternatives of hh-66...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:25 pm 
paddler

Hello Friends,
I am from europe region, and I have some problems for finding hh-66. Do you know any alternative adhesive of hh-66? For instance 3M or loctite productions which have large distrubution network... There are some products having similar strength levels but especially fast cure is also important for us.
Thank you for all,
Gokhan Altintas
www.mekanik.net

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

According to the MSDS for HH-16, it's 46% MEK, 21.5% Acetone, and 19% Toluene, which leaves 13% dissolved solids. I'd suggest looking for a urethane or vinyl adhesive locally with a similar ingredient list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:29 pm 
forum fan

We can't get H66 here in New Zealand,but a good alternative is Bostik 999HV or HR,if it is available in Europe.
You could contact a firm who makes truck curtainsides,or a PVC Boat Builder,and see what they use.
Best of luck with the hunt!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Where are you in Europe? Turkey? I've had similar problems in Italy. The NZ Bostik alternative isnt sold here. If you are in the Uk then a google search for infatable castles will produce something similar. Export is not possible though and it wasnt cheap. I eventually found a shoe sole glue in a Naples chemical factory which is the same but it was sold to me as a one off personal favour in a quantity I needed (less than 1000 litres!). Stay clear of non heat activated contact adhesives as they dont allow repositioning of the pvc in the gluing process. The Italian Kayakinlegno forum has some good pictures of poor results with contact adhesives on Yost folders. Happy Googling in your language for heat activated adhesives :-)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:07 am 
paddler

Thank you for all replies,
I have found some adhesives with similar ingredients of hh-66 in my country from local suppliers. I have also found bostik but they accept to sell only large amounts. I bought ems multibond with similar ingredients of hh-66 but I did not test it. Recently I have met a different skin material as pvc based heavy sheet with 1.5 mm thickness. You can see it image below. In this image you can find green colored pvc tarpaulin, and under it my new thick pvc with one face yellow and other black. I know that thick pvc heavier than 1100 dtx tarpaulin. But I think thick pvc is safer than tarpaulin in the sea with sharp rocks. I will do two skin for my kayak.
In this stage, I have extra questions. Can I use CYANOACRYLATE based adhesive with thick pvc? Is there any problem with usage in sea environment?
I have tested CYANOACRYLATE in hot water, but I do not know time dependent behavior. I know, It is not flexible like hh-66 but after large number of bending with hand it stands in its original form.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:07 pm 
forum fanatic

This is the Pattex glues http://www.pattex.co.za/en/glue-finder.html (click plastic , then imitation leather PVC on glue finder )

The flexible leather glue featured was used to build this folder http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/projects/folding/ and purchased in France .

Then there is this stuff in the UK (not tried it yet -I have a Bostik 2100 glue used for truck tarpaulins/curtain walls )

http://www.diy.com/nav/decor/tiles/adhe ... d=11039380

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:41 am 
In Germany you can get Tarpo-S at Planenwelt.de. It cost about 30 Euro's for a can of 750mL. I used it to build my Sea Cruiser, which took 1.5 cans.
Attachment:
P0014493.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.