Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:48 pm 
I would like to know if the kayaks hydrodynamic properties are changed if I would enlarge a Sea Rover to 18 Ft by scaling up all the dimensions by 18/17 (17 Ft being the original length). I'm about 200 Lbs, need a somewhat bigger boat. I've already build a Sea Cruiser folder and now looking for something quicker in wood, ballistic nylon skin and non folder. Hope you have some answers out there.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I think you might get more help on this from experienced skin on frame builders over at QajaqUSA

http://www.qajaqusa.org

Responses to such inquiries seem to be plentiful and prompt.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 10:25 am 
Quote:
I would like to know if the kayaks hydrodynamic properties are changed if I would enlarge a Sea Rover to 18 Ft by scaling up all the dimensions by 18/17 (17 Ft being the original length). I'm about 200 Lbs, need a somewhat bigger boat. I've already build a Sea Cruiser folder and now looking for something quicker in wood, ballistic nylon skin and non folder. Hope you have some answers out there.

It's certainly a possibility, but there is no need to strech / widen the Sea Rover as there are other designs available.

It would be easier to stretch a Sea Rider to 18ft by extending the stems only ( shallower slope) a few inches fore and aft while retaining the original cross section width and spacing.
If it's a roller you're after, the Sea Rider is actually better than the Sea Rover.

If you want a skinny Greenland, the 19' X 18" Sea Glider should fit well with your 200lbs.

http://yostwerks.com/Quentin1A.html - 2 page link

Tom