Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:00 pm 
forum fan

Im starting a new project this spring. Ive been toying with using pvc for a frame because its cheap and easy to work with. This a calm water vessel not designed for hard use so it might be ok. I recently worked out a design that allows locking connections to be made between pipe and wooden ribs with cheap and easily accessible components. I will post some updates as I progress through this build. Skin will be tyvek house wrap. Like I said its not for hard use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

Sounds interesting. I have toyed with the idea of building a quick semi disposable kayak from construction material on vacation. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:13 am 
forum fan

I just upped the length to 9 ft and decided to go with a 1" pipe for the keel. I have the three center ribs made so far. I will try to post some pics soon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 am 
faltbootemeister

I look forward to it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:27 pm 
forum fan

Here is an update with some pics. I slid a couple 1/2" pipes in the sides temporarily to hold the form better. Im currently debating if I should go with the rib spacing in the pics and have only 3 ribs or move them closer together and have narrower ribs closer to the ends like my original plan. I will say the frame feels surprisingly rigid in its current form and might just work. The reason I ask is that I tend to over engineer far beyond what is really needed. Keep in mind this is for light use on still water like ponds and such.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 pm 
forum fan

sorry, forgot I had to resize the pics before posting. this is just a quick mock up for a sense of shape and size. if I stick with the current 3 ribs then the next step would be installing all the stringers. if you guys think i need more ribs then I will need to make them before adding stringers. current length is 9 ft, width at base is 18", width at center top is 26", height in middle is 12", height at ends is 16". it has 8 stringers with a spacing of 4.5" on the floor and 5.5" on sides.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 am 
faltbootemeister

I would add the stringers and see how stiff it is. You can always add more frames after.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:21 am 
forum fan

Thats true. Im on a limited budget so it will probably be after the 20th when I have the money for the stringers. I will post a pic of the next stage in the build

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 pm 
forum fanatic

Very interesting. Will you incorporate some way to tension the skin?

Folbots: Greenland, Aluet, Cooper
Two Atlyaks
Kleppers: Passat and Master
Inflatables: Coleman and Intex
Rigid: Mirror dinghy, Chrysler 23 and Westerly GK29
Two GoPlus SUPs

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:00 pm 
forum fan

i would like to tension it somehow but not sure how yet. the skin is tyvek so I can probably glue eyelets on for a pull cord maybe.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:37 am 
forum fan

here are some pics of half the boat mostly assembled. I will probably heat up the curved portions of the stringers so they can set in the curved shape to reduce strain on the ribs. It is surprisingly rigid and should hold my weight well. I think the design could be extended out to a 3 ft gap between ribs for an overall length of 12 ft with the stringers in 3 4ft sections. it would also make connecting the 1/2" stringers easier by using 6" sections of 3/4" pvc as joints between sections. I may end up doing that in the end if I have more money for pvc.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 1:06 pm 
forum fanatic

Looks good. Very precise work. Looks absolutely symmetrical.

Folbots: Greenland, Aluet, Cooper
Two Atlyaks
Kleppers: Passat and Master
Inflatables: Coleman and Intex
Rigid: Mirror dinghy, Chrysler 23 and Westerly GK29
Two GoPlus SUPs

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:28 am 
forum fan

Thanks. I think I owe my work as an aircraft machinist some credit for the precision. Probably much more than is needed for a functional vessel but im ok with putting in the extra work. Ive decided im going for 12ft overall length now. I figure I may as well go big if im this far into it. I will need 2 more 1/2" pipes and 1 3/4" for joining the stringer sections plus a 4ft section of 1" pipe. Shouldnt break the budget too much. Ive also figured out a clip system for locking the stringers into the rib sections using .088" diameter wire bent into small clips. Everything ive used so far is cheap and readily available from any hardware store. If I built a second one with a bigger budget I would consider using hdpe instead of plywood for the rib sections for added durability.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 11:39 am 
forum fan

Ive had more time to think about it and I will probably go with 9 ft after all. Im running into not finding a practical way to join the stringers together while still being able to disassemble later. If I could find something that will fit inside 1/2" pvc pipe I would be back on track. The diameter is .600". Ive thought about using a wooden dowel but im worried about the long term durability. Same goes for copper pipe. Any thoughts? Im trying to stick with over the counter retail materials if possible for the continuity of the build.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:05 pm 
forum fan

Latest update, I found a peice of 1/2" cpvc pipe at the local hardware store that should work as an internal juncture for the 1/2" pvc pipes. Im back on track for the 12ft length now. Maybe by this weekend I will have more completed and some pics of it