Skin on frame with ribs.

Discussion of user-built folding kayaks

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

magotony
recent arrival

Skin on frame with ribs.

Post by magotony »

Hi!
First of all, my apologies if what i'm asking has already been discussed at the forum but i've searched for it and couldn't find.
The question is I'm thinking about the possibility of make a folding skin-on-frame kayak due to my space problems (included for transporting), and I've seen many folding skin-on-frame kayaks on the Internet but no one have ribs (they use chines instead). So I wonder...Is possible to make one of this -with ribs- I mean...did you already tried?

Cheers!

mje
Site Admin

Re: Skin on frame with ribs.

Post by mje »

There may be some confusion in terminology or translation here. Traditional skin on-frame kayaks have a system of long strips running fore-to-aft that we call “longerons.” A traditional boat builder would call them “stringers.” These stringers or longerons are fastened around “ribs”, which a traditional boat builder would call “frames.” “Chine” usually refers to an edge formed where two planks or surfaces meet.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

magotony
recent arrival

Post by magotony »

mje wrote:There may be some confusion in terminology or translation here. Traditional skin on-frame kayaks have a system of long strips running fore-to-aft that we call “longerons.” A traditional boat builder would call them “stringers.” These stringers or longerons are fastened around “ribs”, which a traditional boat builder would call “frames.” “Chine” usually refers to an edge formed where two planks or surfaces meet.
Hi Again,
Thanks for your reply. You're right, as you already have checked english is not my mother tongue, so it's hard for me to express myself correctly :oops: (and harder when it's about parts of a boat) I said "chines" but what I really ment was "cross sections".

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Magotony,

No worries about language, the business of boats has a language all its own! As for the ribs, or cross sections, they have been fabricated out of marine plywood and, more commonly, HDPE. Either can be cut using hand tools, simple shop tools (router, band saw, scroll saw) or some have even tried CNC machining of the plastic materials. I think one might even try aluminum, but don't know for sure how that would work out. Good luck with your project!

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

George Dyson’s designs for non-folding baidarkas use aluminum for all frame parts, including the ribs/frames/molds.

http://robroy.dyndns.info/baidarka/slid ... e-a90.html

And some have built them from wood:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/baidarka
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Homemade Folding Kayaks”