Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Skin on frame with ribs.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:55 pm 
recent arrival

Hi!
First of all, my apologies if what i'm asking has already been discussed at the forum but i've searched for it and couldn't find.
The question is I'm thinking about the possibility of make a folding skin-on-frame kayak due to my space problems (included for transporting), and I've seen many folding skin-on-frame kayaks on the Internet but no one have ribs (they use chines instead). So I wonder...Is possible to make one of this -with ribs- I mean...did you already tried?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

There may be some confusion in terminology or translation here. Traditional skin on-frame kayaks have a system of long strips running fore-to-aft that we call “longerons.” A traditional boat builder would call them “stringers.” These stringers or longerons are fastened around “ribs”, which a traditional boat builder would call “frames.” “Chine” usually refers to an edge formed where two planks or surfaces meet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:13 am 
recent arrival

mje wrote:
There may be some confusion in terminology or translation here. Traditional skin on-frame kayaks have a system of long strips running fore-to-aft that we call “longerons.” A traditional boat builder would call them “stringers.” These stringers or longerons are fastened around “ribs”, which a traditional boat builder would call “frames.” “Chine” usually refers to an edge formed where two planks or surfaces meet.

Hi Again,
Thanks for your reply. You're right, as you already have checked english is not my mother tongue, so it's hard for me to express myself correctly :oops: (and harder when it's about parts of a boat) I said "chines" but what I really ment was "cross sections".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Magotony,

No worries about language, the business of boats has a language all its own! As for the ribs, or cross sections, they have been fabricated out of marine plywood and, more commonly, HDPE. Either can be cut using hand tools, simple shop tools (router, band saw, scroll saw) or some have even tried CNC machining of the plastic materials. I think one might even try aluminum, but don't know for sure how that would work out. Good luck with your project!

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:43 am 
Site Admin

George Dyson’s designs for non-folding baidarkas use aluminum for all frame parts, including the ribs/frames/molds.

http://robroy.dyndns.info/baidarka/slid ... e-a90.html

And some have built them from wood:

https://www.woodenboat.com/boat-launchings/baidarka