Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Carts
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:33 pm 
Moved from http://foldingkayaks.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1129&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
On my commercial Paddleboy cart the outermost width is 66 cm (26"), with hull-bearing or bag-bearing saddle 35 cm (14") above the ground (keel sits lower, 13" from the ground), and it is still not enough stabile on less-than-perfect terrains like old bumpy asphalt, dock gangways etc, when rolling the boat with superstructures like attached deck bag and some gear piled carelessly on the seat. I didn't try rolling it through bus or train doors, but it is narrow enough for other pedestrian gates and turnstiles.

My home-made convertible cart has same height, but the outermost width only 50 cm (20"). It is stabile enough for empty boat on slightly bumpy urban terrrains, but needs a bit of care with empty boat on wilderness terrains or with 2 bags on less-than-perfect urban terrains. It wouldn't be practical to make width less than 50 cm, and I'm thiking of making it wider than 50 cm.

Klepper Foldy is the only commercial convertible cart, but it looks too bulky for using in single kayaks on multiday trips. For open-deck boats like Puffin and on day-paddling with minimum gear it could work. What is the outermost width of this Foldy? (the height is probably close to 13" or 14").

PS: Paddleboy Yedo cart is shown on the last photo here (wheels are 12" * 2.5" from Northern Tool): http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/album81 . It works as a boat cart better than a luggage cart. Lighter and more compact than "Foldy", wheels are with bearings, but it can't handle steep hills or curbs with 2 bags.

Home-made cart is shown there, I've opened a new album for this contraption, and will post updates later: http://foldingkayaks.org/gallery/album81

Post subject: Folding Dock Dolly
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:41 pm 
As fate would have it my wife just bought one of the "folding dock dollys" as pictured in Alex's post. (She needs it to haul boxes around, as we are about to move to Europe.) I can now say with some authority that when folded it will fit through rib #6 in a Long Haul Mk.2, and thus can be crammed into the rear hold. I have yet to experiment with it otherwise. It is very heavy.

Post subject: Klepper Foldy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The maximum external width of the Klepper "Foldy" is 69 cm / 27 inches. Probably comparable to a wheelchair, certainly too wide for the aisles in trains or buses. The space between the wheels for the packed boat to fit is 45 cm / 18 inches. This is configured like a normal L-profile luggage trolley.

If you loosen the handle so it bends in half, the top half comes down to rest on the toe of the "L", giving a platform that you could rest the assembled boat on (although I've never tried this). Platform height is about 16 inches.

To stow: take off the wheels - quick and easy, only held on by sprung pins. Loosen all the joints and do a bit of origami with the sections. Maximum dimension, along one side, is still the 27 inch axle. The rest of it is approximately a rectangle 19 x 14 x 6 inches. I can just fit this behind the seat in my Puffin Swift, but I need to not fit the reinforcing rods that are supposed to stiffen that space. If I'm ever planning a trip where I'd want to portage the assembled boat, I'd forget about stowing the trolley and carry it as deck cargo. It weighs just over 10 lbs.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:59 am 
Thanks. The problem with buses (and may be some urban trains) is probably the hand-rail in the middle of the doorway. Feathercraft Kahuna is heavier than Puffin, and with overnight gear and food it's over 60 lbs, so I can't drag it up stairs on the cart from low platform. Ironically, this makes the doorway width less important, as I have to bring the FC bag in separately from the cart, and the bag is about 50 cm wide - doesn't create any problems.