Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Drysuit fitting
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 11:36 pm 
Ok.

I'm the proud owner of a brand-new NRS Extreme drysuit. Here is my dilemma: the neck gasket strangles me. The manufacturer's instructions says not to trim the gasket to fit (it will void the warranty) but rather to stretch it out on something overnight. I have done this, using a pot stuffed in the gasket overnight, to little avail.

Otherwise the suit fits great. I'm 5'10" and 185 pounds. I do not have an especially thick neck.

Despite the warning in the handout, I recall several people on this forum mentioning trimming drysuit gaskets. What's the deal? Should I trim this thing or not?

Post subject: Re: Drysuit fitting
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 4:06 am 
Site Admin

acrosome wrote:
Despite the warning in the handout, I recall several people on this forum mentioning trimming drysuit gaskets. What's the deal? Should I trim this thing or not?
I would (and did, on my dry suit). It is critical that the cut be absolutely uniform, with no nicks in it.

Couple methods to consider:

1. Very sharp scissors (hair stylists can give tips on this; maybe one might loan you his/her shears ... and maybe not!).

2. Fresh, just out-of-the-package single edged razor blade: slide the gasket over a 2 L soda pop bottle (a the PET one) or similar so the gasket has just a little stretch/tension on it and follow one of the lines around the circumference. I did two rounds of his on my Kokatat suit to bring it into my comfort range (15 inch neck). The lines were about 1/4 of an inch apart.

Number 2 is definitely my method of choice for neck gaskets; number 1 is OK for wrist gaskets, but too tricky for necks, for me. You're an MD; I bet you're pretty handy with a sharp edge! :wink: :D

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.