Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sleep mats
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 am 
Not a question about a FC kayak, but about their sleep mats... Anyone have experience with these? I'm an out-of-shape middle aged guy, and the approx. 1" thick Thermarest type pads just don't cut it :) But the big heavy Coleman air mattresses, while very comfortable, are bigger and heavier than I'd prefer to take paddling, so... It looks like the FC mats split the difference between comfort and packability pretty well, anyone here used one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:22 am 
I looked at those, biggest problem is that they are not inuslated, so if the ground is cool or cold, you will freeze. Perhaps that's a good thing if camping in tropical temps where heat is a problem, but in most of my experience, being too cold is bigger problem.

No offense to FC, but for a thick, lightweight, inflatable mat like this, I'd stick with the pros like Big Agnes and Exped. I have a down insulated, air inflatable Exped... the Exped has the advantage of a unique stuff-bag-pump that prevents breath moisture from contaminating the insulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:26 pm 
Thanks for the reply... Most of my kayak-camping is in Arizona in the summertime, 100+ temps being the norm, so getting cold would be a nice problem to encounter! :) I'll check out those other pads you mentioned though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 pm 
I use one.. have had it 3 seasons. I got the long one. The pillow design is excellent. When it is cold I put a thermarest and the FC airbag into a fleece sleeve.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:59 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Uhh... have any of you heard of Thermarest?

I gave up on them, BTW, because both my brother and I sprung leaks in those things in cold places. Foam pads are lighter anyway.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:37 am 
chrstjrn wrote:
Uhh... have any of you heard of Thermarest?

I've been waiting for somebody to ask this :-) ... Old company, kinda landmark of the industry, good quality. Though, their new Fast&Light series is.. err.. too light... Older stuff was more sturdy and had more foam. But they also continue all heavier models with more foam (having added more choice of sizes)..

chrstjrn wrote:
I gave up on them, BTW, because both my brother and I sprung leaks in those things in cold places. Foam pads are lighter anyway.

Yes, but not as soft... I'm using BOTH foam pad (simple 10mm blue foam) AND Thermarest. And thinking of going back from 1" thick 1.3 lb Prolite to heavier Therm like 2" thick 2 lb Trail Comfort (and still planning to keep my blue foam too). My Prolite has got 2 small punctures - one I fixed with a drop of glue, and another one they fixed for $15 at the factory (I couldn't handle their supplied glue for Polyesther).

For foam-lovers they make foam-only pads too - Z-lite with its corrugated egg-box surface looks nice. It folds like an accordion - not rolls up, so this could be a problem in small boats. And they still make old Ridge-Rest too (this one rolls up).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:45 pm 

Exactly-- I have two Z-lites. They work really well. Good insulation, light weight, and no chance of deflation.

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:12 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Glad to hear I am not the only one with sleep discomfort :x . My wife & I camp in a VW camper when we go kayaking ( mostly day trips ), but would like to do more kayak camping. We too have given up on Thermarest.

I have been curious about the Feathercraft sleep mats, but don't know how we'd like them. They sure would solve the ' bringing a camp pillow' problem along and, since we don't camp in cold weather, I don't worry too much about the insulation factor. I hear the attached pillow is great.

Any further thoughts :?:

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

No experience with the FC mats. We use Thermarest deluxe Camp Rest mats: a full 2 inches thick. They have really increased the depth of our nighttime sleep. Very bulky packed, such that we have to deck load the buggers.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:54 pm 
krudave wrote:
Camp Rest mats: a full 2 inches thick. They have really increased the depth of our nighttime sleep. Very bulky packed, such that we have to deck load the buggers.

I thought GII was roomier than that. In Kahuna on a 7-day trip I could load full-length 1" Thermarest Prolite 3 under deck. Prolite 3 rolls up very compact, about 1.5 times more compact than older 1" models with more foam, but having less foam Pro 3 feels closer to regular air mattress than to old-style Thermarests. But there was no room for a full-length blue foam pad under the deck of Kahuna with 30 liters of water and empty FC bag plus empty Balogh sail bag. Eventually I had to sit on the blue foam folded 3 or 4 times. Didn't want to leave the foam pad home - it protects Thermarest from punctures well. Just before they released Pro 3 and 4, I was considering Guiderest (1.5" or so - don't remember, somewhat thinner than Camprest). Now thinking of getting Guiderest again (they've changed the name, I forgot how they call it now).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Alm wrote:
krudave wrote:
Camp Rest mats: a full 2 inches thick. They have really increased the depth of our nighttime sleep. Very bulky packed, such that we have to deck load the buggers.

I thought GII was roomier than that.
Nope. These Camp Rests are very bulky. Sold the G II 5 years ago, in any case. Been using a hardshell double, since then, which does not have as much storage room as a G II. :cry:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:17 am 
I've gone from a 1" Thermarest to a 2.5" Thermarest and now to an Exped 9 cm (~3.5") downmat. The 2.5" basecamp Thermarest was great but was very bulky. The Exped downmat takes up less space than my old 1" Thermarest. There is also a great chair kit:

Downmat:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/sty ... d_mats/DNM

Reviews:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... 0Mattress/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:44 am 
BrianC wrote:
I've gone from a 1" Thermarest to a 2.5" Thermarest and now to an Exped 9 cm (~3.5") downmat. The 2.5" basecamp Thermarest was great but was very bulky. The Exped downmat takes up less space than my old 1" Thermarest. There is also a great chair kit:

Downmat:
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/home/sty ... d_mats/DNM

Reviews:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews ... 0Mattress/

Interesting. Might be an alternative to Thermarest. Better than regular air mattresses, for sure (cost 10 times more than air mattress, too). I'm wary about potential punctures, though. Thermarest retains about 30% of normal efficiency even when punctured - due to lots of foam inside, especially heavier models like Basecamp. There are distinctive cold spots in punctured Therm under the hips and shoulders, but the rest of the pad remains half-inflated, because the foam is "springy", so in warm weather it't almost okay.

Btw, if you calculate the volume of cylinder, according to the specs, the last model of 2 inch thick full-length Thermarest Basecamp rolls 1.2 times more compact (i.e. takes 20% less volume) than Exped 9cm (3.5") downmat, and is also 0.5 lb lighter (Exped weighs over 3 lbs). Though, Therms after the very first use can't be rolled up again to the size of their original store packing - usually I can roll it to 0.5"-1" thicker roll than initially. Still, my 1 inch thick Thermarest Prolite 3 at 4.1"*11" rolled size (in reality about 5"*11") takes about 3 times less volume than Exped 9. Older 1 inch Therms were different, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:08 pm 
I really like that OR Exped mat... Sounds like it might be more durable than the FC mat but almost as thick and still packs small :) , and I'm a fan of their stuff anyway, thanks for link!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:34 am 

Alright... I WILL say that one of those 2" Thermarests would be a lot more comfortable than the mattresses most Americans have at home. I still wouldn't take one with me on a trip, but no one can argue with their comfort.