Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What camera was that?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:13 pm 
I recently saw a waterproof digital camera in a recent issue of some kayaking or outdoors magazine. It was 7MP and had a yellow rubberized housing, and was pretty cheap. Now, of course, I've somehow lost whichever magazine it was in, and I'm trying to find out what model it is. Does anyone remember seeing it in a recent magazine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:38 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The only ones I know of are the Olympus and the Pentax, and neither of them has such a housing. Do you think it might have been a regular camera with a separate, waterproof housing (several of those around), or is it a newly introduced product?

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject: dive camera
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:11 am 
No, I read the description very attentively (with the exception that I cannot now remember the actual model of the camera). It was a rubberized yellow "dive camera", 7MP. I've been going through the piles of magazines at my apartment but I guess it got tossed during the cleanup after the move or something. Or, maybe it wasn't in one of the outdoors magazines... maybe it was some other magazine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:15 am 
Site Admin

Google Google Google

I input "7 Megapixel yellow dive camera" and this came up:

http://tinyurl.com/2xz92v

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: dive camera
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:30 am 
Ha! I think that's it!

But out of curiosity, 'Dave, did you really think I hadn't tried google? Somehow you chanced upon the correct "magical" combination of keywords, though.

Thanks!

Hmm. It's only 6MP, though, when I was sure the ad said 7MP. I guess the Alzheimer's is acting up again. It also has only a digital zoom, which I find far inferior to a true zoom. Then again, I suppose with 6MP one won't have quite the degree of image degradation that I've seeen in the past.

After a little digging, here is the Vivitar PDF infosheet:

http://www.vivitar.com/imgs_products/07 ... 06200w.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:15 am 
Site Admin

Acrosome, in the news release, it says: "In addition, Vivitar will also debut the 7-megapixel ViviCam 7388s, the 6-megapixel ViviCam, and the 10-megapixel X625 digital camera at the PMA 2007..."

That may be what you saw.

As to magical phrase, all I did was use the words you supplied.

Here is the Google result on 7-megapixel ViviCam 7388s: http://tinyurl.com/2g6nfw

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:35 am 
Check out Olympus they have a 780 and 790 SW
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/O ... s790sw.asp

Pricing is better than even last year for similar cameras.

I use the Pentax W20 and it works for me.

Hugh

Post subject: what camera was that
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:28 pm 

the latest issue of "adventure kayak " has a write up on three water proof point and shoot cameras, SEALIFE , PENTAX OPTIO W30, OLIMPUS STYLUS 770. The OLIMPUS seems to be "slightly" better unless you want to go down to 75ft then it,s the SEALIFE. There are some SLR,s which claim to be "dustproof and weatherproof ", but they may not be suitable for use in kayaks, i can,t see them as the nearest camera dealer is at least a 500 mile round trip. This hasn,t answered the question but i agree with one comment it might have been a camera in a waterproof housing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:53 am 
I devoutly believe that sometimes you just have to find the correct magical keyword to type into google. I did, in fact, run the same search as krudave, only I typed "7MP" instead of "7 Megapixel." I got tons of hits on the Olympus and Pentax brands, which seem to dominate the market (or at least the online reviews and Amazon). Perhaps the Vivitar was somewhere on search results page number 34 or something, but I didn't have the patience to look that long. I went through a LOT of keyword combinations.

Again, thanks, Dave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:29 pm 

Well... I'm officially a computer person, but I second your belief. It's uncanny how things do or don't pop up in response to seemingly innocuous changes in search parameters.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:27 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I am officially in the market for an underwater camera again. I believe the Pentax Optio 30 may be the best currently out there for the money. I like its compact size and price. It uses a conventional SD card and has its own rechargable battery. The Olympus has its own battery too, but has a picture card that is exclusive to Olympus.

The Vivitar uses AAA batteries, which are a waste of money. Until they come out with a powerful rechargable Lithium Ion AAA, I think you will spend a lot of money on throw away Lith. AAA's.

The other problem with all of these is no view finder. You have to rely on the screen and, what I've read, the Pentax has the best bright sunlight view.

If you also dive, then the Pentax may not fill the bill, but for me, just kayaking and some snorkling, I have just about decided on it.

I now have a wonderful Canon S40 with a case. It has been great for several years, but is bulky with the case and has a dated CF card. I am happy with it and plan to keep it, but will sell the underwater case when we finally decide on another camera.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject: Any updates?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:09 am 
forum fanatic

I'm new to kayaking but more relevent is that my wife has confiscated, appropriated, stolen, borrowed, lifted, taken my Canon Powershot that I bought for myself two father's days ago. Sherrie, the Luddite herself, who refused to use anything electrical, technical or computerized for years has finally adapted to digital photography and now I have had to give up my access to my own camera. LOL

The Powershot isn't very water friendly, especially salt water, so this is a good time for me to make a watersport specific digital camera purchase. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:21 am 
Site Admin

reallife, you might consider one of the newer Powershots. Canon has waterproof housings for them. I've got an A570 IS I like a lot, very compact, and an S1 IS I also like (not at all compact, but has a 10:1 optical zoom). IS is a very good feature for shots from a bouncing cockpit.

I do not own any waterproof housings, but others who do say the Canon units are very good.

Newer Powershots are faster to use with improved menus and better ergonomics on the case.

Post subject: waterproof camera
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:25 pm 
I bought a Pentax W30 last month to use kayaking and snorkeling in the Galapagos. First big surprise: It worked underwater. Got some good photos of Golden Rays and an ominous looking but seemingly harmless white tipped reef shark. Little surprise: I was told by the guy at B&H Camera that it was slow in dim light, and I wound up with lots of photos of the places the frolicking sea lions and fish had been. I found it light, easy to use and a good buy at around $235. Just don't expect miracles.

BTW The camera companies all got caught up in this pixel race and advertise the number as if it were the most important component of a camera. I have some great 8x10 photos taken with the now discontinued 2 megapixel Olympus UZ 2100. My current Panasonic FZ 20 with 6 MP and a 12 x lens produces sharper images than the 7 MP 3 x Pentax but it's not waterproof. With cameras as with politics, compromise lets you do good things

Happy shooting.

Post subject: Canon Powershot
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:02 pm 
forum fanatic

krudave wrote:
reallife, you might consider one of the newer Powershots. Canon has waterproof housings for them. I've got an A570 IS I like a lot, very compact, and an S1 IS I also like (not at all compact, but has a 10:1 optical zoom). IS is a very good feature for shots from a bouncing cockpit.

I do not own any waterproof housings, but others who do say the Canon units are very good.

Newer Powershots are faster to use with improved menus and better ergonomics on the case.

I have one of the Powershots. I think it is the S1 IS. Unfortunately, this is the camera my wife has taken over and she is still in Illinois while we sell our house there. So for the time being I am camera-less.

I used to have a great little Canon Powershot. I forget the number but it had a known problem with no fix. Eventually it happened to mine as well. Basically, it locked up and could not be re-booted. Canon admitted it was a software glitch but there was no fix. It had a titanium body, was relatively water resistant and took great pictures. I had the waterproof case for it. It was bulky but worked very well; even the flash was useable. So I bought the Powershot 1S IS to replace that one. It is much bulkier and I think the waterproof housing would make it about the size of a shoebox. Not really an option I want to pay $240 for. Besides my wife really has taken it over and I'll just have to buy myself something else. This is a regular scenario at our house. I am an early adopter and she is a late adopter but once she finds she likes my tech stuff it is hers and I have to move on to something else. After 26 years of wedded bliss I am used to this and just keep leapfrogging gear generations. :D