Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:32 pm 
faltbootemeister

I also purchased a Pentax SW30 recently. It didn't leak under water while snorkeling but my under water pictures were not as bright as I hoped. I did use the underwater setting but might need more adjustment. The above water pictures were bright and had good color and resolution. A nice feature is that the screen light dims automatically and then lightens up when you press the shutter button half way to focus. This saves on the battery life.

BernieM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Reallife:

The S1 IS is not a Powershot; it is the first one of a different series. The Powershots are all much small than members of the S series, so that one with a waterproof case would be maybe 1/4th the volume of an S1 IS in its case.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: Canon Powershots
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:03 am 
forum fanatic

krudave wrote:
Reallife:

The S1 IS is not a Powershot; it is the first one of a different series. The Powershots are all much small than members of the S series, so that one with a waterproof case would be maybe 1/4th the volume of an S1 IS in its case.

Sorry, you are mistaken about the Powershot 1S IS. Maybe you are getting the Powershot series mixed up with the Canon EOS series which are full sized SLR type digital cameras with interchangeable lenses. The EOS waterproof cases are huge. There are actually several body styles within the Powershot series. Here is the link to the latest Canon Powershot page: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... goryid=113

The latest model of the Powershot 1S IS is the 5S IS and it has 8 megapixels and a 12X optical zoom. I have the 1S IS which is about two years old and last winter I bought my son a 3S IS for XMAS. I have the box the my Powershot 1S IS came in sitting right in front of me. BTW, 'IS' stands for image stabilization and it does work well. I had to leave the camera with my wife when I was back in Illinois last week. I also used to have a Powershot A95 which my daughter has now. My first Canon digital was a Powershot Digital ELPH which was the one I described in my first post. That is the one I had the waterproof case for and that locked up irreversibly. Too bad. I loved that little camera.

After reviewing these little babies again, I'm thinking about getting the Powershot G9 which can store RAW images. Too bad Canon doesn't make an underwater Powershot. All the waterproof cases are significantly bulky but they do protect the camera well. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:05 am 
Site Admin

Yup, you're correct: Says Powershot right on the front of my S 1 -- :oops: . :lol:

I should have said S series Powershot vs A series Powershot, I think. My Powershot A570 IS is about 1/3 the volume of my S1 IS, and a more ergonomic, quicker to use package. If the smaller lens and lesser zoom capability of the A series is adequate for you, might be easier to get one in a more conveniently sized waterproof case. YMMV.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Back at looking at underwater cameras again. The mind set with these companies is to bring out a new camera about every 6 months :roll: .

Now Olympus continues there line of Stylus SW cameras with the 1030 SW. Currently it retails at a whopping $399.95 but boasts a 33' depth. Not much discounting of this camera yet, but won't be suprised if it dips below $300 soon just in time for a new model :? .

It is mind numbing when you are in the market and want to compare cameras to find the best for kayaking. I have looked a lot at the Pentax W30. The non-proprietary batteries and picture cards almost has me sold on it.

Olympus Stylus 850 SW and 1030SW are micro SD capable, so that is a consideration, but if anyone had used Micro SD cards like I have ( GPS & cell phone ) you know how easy they are to loose.

I have read a few comparisons between the Stylus 770SW and the W30, but havn't found anything else.

Anyone out there feel as I do that the Pentax W30 is the best point & shoot digital for the watery kayak world for the money. I am ready to order.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:52 am 
faltbootemeister

I am not a photography expert but have been satisfied with the Pentax W30. The pictures taken above water look fine and the camera does not leak under water, though the underwater pictures are darker than I would like. That might just require more adjustments of controls. I can't compare with Olympus.

BernieM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:23 pm 
Howdy, All! Good to be back!

For the sake of closure I wanted to post that I eventually bought a Pentax Optio W30. The primary reason? The PX at Bagram stocked it!

You see, I found myself in Afghanistan (long story), in the market for a new digital camera, with all that tax-free money burning holes in my pockets. Lo and behold! The little PX shopette at BAF stocked the W30! I suspect that this was probably due to it's supposed dust resistance rather than waterproofness (neologism?) but you can make whatever assumptions you like.

Overall i am very satisfied with it. I can, by the way, attest to the dust resistance. I dropped the pesky thing into substances that I really didn't want to pluck it out of, several times- no problems. It also survived at least one barrage of Chinese 107mm rockets. I have since used it underwater (barely)- also no problems. I took some great pictures of the local Afghan kids chasing the golfballs we hit across the Kunar River from the roof of the latrine.

Good times.

It does lack some functions that I would rather have, such as a more powerful optical zoom. (I detest digital zooms.) I'd also like a shutter longer than 4 seconds, for night photography, but that is the max. The interface and controls are pretty intuitive compared to some I've seen, though it is still a quite complex device.

So, the nearest decently sized body of water to Kaiserslautern is the Bostalsee, but it has been drained for construction. The next is the Bodensee, but it is rather far away. Bummer. I will get on the water sometime this summer, though- mark my words.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:42 am 
Hey, acrosome - for tipps where to paddle in Germany, have a look at the German Faltbootforum http://www.faltbootforum.de - you can post in English there, no problem! I'm on the board, too, you wouldn't be the first to post in English. They also have a "Tourenwiki" http://www.faltboot.de/wiki/index.php/TourenWiki#Rheinland-Pfalz, also in German, but places names are universal, aren't they?

I'm a beginner myself, so although I live in Germany, I wouldn't have too many clues... for rivers, Sieg and Rhine in western Germany and Main, Lahn, Werra, Fulda, Weser in central Germany sound good, I think. Lakes - no idea at all... kahunafan might know, he's German also, though I don't know where he lives exactly. But he's more experienced than I am, that's for sure!

Enjoy Germany! Go see a soccer match on Betzenberg, as long as you're there (Bundesliga starts around August I think, and athmosphere on the Betzenberg is legendary!!!)

Regards,
Jana

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:43 am 
Have a look at this guy's site, translate using Google or Babelfish:
http://www.pluennenkreuzer.de/index.html
Some fun-looking trips - treffen, touren - links at left.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:55 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
I have read a few comparisons between the Stylus 770SW and the W30, but havn't found anything else.

Anyone out there feel as I do that the Pentax W30 is the best point & shoot digital for the watery kayak world for the money. I am ready to order.

It will be probably a few years before I come to buying it, and models names/prices will be different then. Anyway, just curious: seems like Stylus 850 is a little better bang for the buck. It sells under $250, lens have longer focus length, which translates into a less wide angle without using a zoom, i.e. when light input is maximized (focus length of 850 is equivalent to 38mm of film camera VS 28 mm of 1030 model). This all I consider "pros". Wide-angle lens (wider than film 30-35) might seem like something that kayakers or nature lovers require, but in reality it results in too much area covered on the photo, with too small details.
Zoom of 850 model is less powerful (*3) than in 1030 model (*3.6), but as the lens of 850 are more "telescopic" before zooming, the maximum magnification of 850 is higher than of 1030 model (114 mm film camera equivalent VS 102 mm of 1030 model). I don't think this is very important - zooming up to the limit on these cameras should be avoided whenever possible, because it reduces the aperture (= incoming light), image quality suffers, and P&S cameras don't provide a stellar image quality even without zoom.

Cons of 850 model, as I can see it, are slightly smaller display (it is still huge), and 8M pictures VS 10M of 1030 model - for 4*6 prints or online photos of trip reports etc I don't know how notable is this difference.

There are some users' reviews of both models
http://www.digitalcameratracker.com/olympus-stylus-850-sw/, but most of them are about indoor or non-waterproof applications, where compact size and water resistance don't matter (but picture quality does), and therefore are not much helpful.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I don't have the specs in front of me, but I also think that the 850 was not capable of also using a micro SD card. I like that flexibility, for what its worth. I am willing to wait for prices to go down as my Canon S40 with the water proof case is still functioning well. The 1030 just seems better built.

I may change my mind a hundred times before I dig into my pockets though.

Chris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:23 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
I don't have the specs in front of me, but I also think that the 850 was not capable of also using a micro SD card. I like that flexibility, for what its worth. I am willing to wait for prices to go down as my Canon S40 with the water proof case is still functioning well. The 1030 just seems better built.

I may change my mind a hundred times before I dig into my pockets though.

Chris

Both 850 and 1030 have metal body and same storage cards: xD and MicroSD http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/54155 ... =ShopZilla .

PS: something has been bothering me with these 2 models, - not I know what. They both are missing clam-shell design, peculiar to Olympus XA2, Olympus Stylus Epic and some other film cameras. It doesn't feel right when lens stay open all the time in outdoor camera, but with zoom it is difficult to make this clam work. Droplets of salt water will dry on the outer glass cover, and soft pouch won't be same efficient as clam.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Alm wrote:
PS: something has been bothering me with these 2 models, - not I know what. They both are missing clam-shell design, peculiar to Olympus XA2, Olympus Stylus Epic and some other film cameras. It doesn't feel right when lens stay open all the time in outdoor camera, but with zoom it is difficult to make this clam work. Droplets of salt water will dry on the outer glass cover, and soft pouch won't be same efficient as clam.
I know the feeling. My early outdoor digital cameras were Olympus "clamshell" designs, which allowed for larger optics and up to 4X optical zooms, but were susceptible to dirt, and not easily waterproofed. They all died from clamshell transport filures.

Subsequently, I've gone to a Canon digital which protects the lens surface behind some guillotine-style doors that open and close as needed. The zoom extension occurs outside the doors, and the doors opne as the lens zooms out to "start" position (my PowerShot A570 IS). This is not a submersible camera, however, so it may not be of interest to others.

I suspect the only way to get serious glass in a submersible camera, is to go with one ofthe units which has a separate case, such as the Canon PowerShot S-series.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:41 pm 
krudave wrote:
Alm wrote:
My early outdoor digital cameras were Olympus "clamshell" designs, which allowed for larger optics and up to 4X optical zooms, but were susceptible to dirt, and not easily waterproofed. They all died from clamshell transport filures.

Subsequently, I've gone to a Canon digital which protects the lens surface behind some guillotine-style doors

Yes, guillotine-style would do. They apparently stopped taking mechanics seriously in Olympus - these doors in Olympus film clamshells seem to last forever. But you are right - this is a solution for a weather-proof camera, not for submersible one.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:45 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Now you know why I am vasilating so long about what camera to get. I like the idea of the waterproof Olympus', but something about them bugs me...along with some of the reviews.

Dave, I own a Canon S40 with the guillotine cover. Has always been a great camera. I also own the waterproof case. Nice case, but you need to use the view finder in bright light and the case obscures the finder by about 40%. pretty frustrating. It also feels like holding onto a conch shell as it is bulky. Otherwise, the camera and case has worked well over the years, in spite of the limitations.

The search goes on for the perfect, handy, pocket sized waterproof P&S camers for kayaking. When will canon do it?

Chris