Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hammocks and kayaks
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 pm 
I leave in just under two weeks for the Alabama River trip. I test-packed the kayak with everything except food and clothing and I've obviously left something out - I have way too much room left. :lol:

Anyway, I'm not carrying a tent on this trip opting to try something different - a Hennessy hammock. I realized on my last trip that I've gotten to the point where I really hate sleeping on the ground.

Everything else was shipped to my father's house in AL except for some leftover stuff - like the hammock. I want to test-hang it this weekend.

I think the hammock is a good alternative - esp. since it can be configured as a bivy sack and a chair/lounger.

Also, I'm not taking a "real"sleeping bag either - it's June in Alabama for crying out loud. But, I will take a frog sac. The ease of not having to climb into a traditional bag appears to be more convenient and I don't have "cold" feet.

Reviews to follow after the trip.

When brousing the Hennessysite, I came across this picture:

If anyone has comments on the picture above, I'd love to hear them regarding the setups. It looks like these are SOT's with some kind of frame built on the decks?

Last edited by K7Baixo on Sat May 24, 2008 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 1:54 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Those are Feathercraft Airliners. Probably Geminis.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:39 pm 
chrstjrn wrote:
Those are Feathercraft Airliners. Probably Geminis.

Cool - I wonder if the purpose of the structure is for something other than the hammocks?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 3:09 pm 

They could be Javas.

I would guess that those are paddle shafts. It looks, to me, like a lot of work went into that setup.

The Hennessy is wonderful when you can find an ideal place to hang it, but that is not always easy to do. You sound like you are headed for a well-wooded area, though, so hopefully it will work out well.

Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

chrstjrn wrote:
It looks, to me, like a lot of work went into that setup.

I suspect it was done for advertising rather than "real life". If I was camping with any kind of inflatable, I'd just deflate it to half pressure and use it as an air bed...

Mary

Post subject: Re: Hammocks and kayaks
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:13 pm 
Quote:
I leave in just under two weeks for the Alabama River trip. I test-packed the kayak with everything except food and clothing and I've obviously left something out - I have way too much room left
That's normal. Longhaul is a barge. I did 2 weeks in FC Kahuna, with 20 liters of fresh water, and I do carry tent (all-mesh 2-door MSR Hubba-Hubba), a sleeping bag, full-length Thermarest and a full-length blue sleeping pad. The only items on the deck were small deckbag with non-crucial items like GPS, energy bar etc (made out of daypack - it is reaLly small), and swimming fins and spare paddle on the after-deck.
On the serious note - you might've left floatation bags out. I carried 2 of them in MK1 - one beyond the last bow rib, and one in the stern, filling these end compartments completely.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm not carrying a tent on this trip opting to try something different - a Hennessy hammock. I realized on my last trip that I've gotten to the point where I really hate sleeping on the ground.

Why? If this is because of tree roots, rocks etc - get Thermarest one size thicker, and/or add a foam pad underneath. You'll need something in your hammock anyway, to keep it between your bottom and mosquitos.

Quote:
I think the hammock is a good alternative - esp. since it can be configured as a bivy sack and a chair/lounger.

One thing you don't need with a Longhaul boat is a chair/lounger. LH seat is heavy, bulky, but it makes an excellent camp chair. I think converting a hammock into a camp chair requires additional parts and some time to arrange this. When you're tired after a paddling day, you will hate the very idea of spending time and efforts on making a chair, because you need it now.

Quote:
Also, I'm not taking a "real"sleeping bag either - it's June in Alabama for crying out loud. But, I will take a frog sac. The ease of not having to climb into a traditional bag appears to be more convenient and I don't have "cold" feet.

Not familiar with this one - but you can also use 1) thin fleece blanket, or 2) any thin "envelope" sleeping bag, i.e. the one that is rectangular in shape, has no hood, and opens into a blanket due to L-shaped zipper. For warm temps its weight should be same as 30 oz of the above "frog sac", or less.

Just my 2 cents...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Admin

Gerry,

A hammock is a good solution to difficult campsites. Hit this site to delve into some serious hammock users (PNW rain forest focus): http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/index.php

These folks use them because flat ground is sometimes scarce in these parts. And, they swear by them. They can probably suggest ways to make your inaugural hammock adventure even more comfy.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject: Hennesey Hammocks
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:35 pm 
I have used my HH in Quetico provincial Park in No. Ontario. I got it to try something new and I love it. My son has one too. Bug free and very comfortable. You lie in it on a diagonal and are close to being flat, not like a traditional hammock. The one downside is that up in Canada they get pretty cold since it is difficult to adequately insulate under your body. I would think this might be an advantage in a warm or hot climate. Enjoy your outing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:13 am 
Thanks for the inputs - much appreciated.

Chris - this area is heavily wooded and full of snakes. I spent a lot of time in the area where the trip ends and we almost never failed to see snakes and alligators. Only one night is supposed to be on a sand bar - most of the others are in campgrounds.

Real - thanks for your input - nice to hear your opinion.

Alex - actually, converting a HH to a chair is simple - take one line off and then simply push that side in and pull the other side over. Much faster/easier than taking the seat out of a LH.

Even with a thermrest, I toss and turn all night light. I must wake up 20 times a night. I was in a pretty bad car wreck in 1994 and haven't been completely pain free since. Nights are difficult and the ground brings out the worst in trying to sleep. I have managed to reduce the pain in the last year - my workouts are contributing to a certain amount of relief.

I hope the HH will be more comfortable. I think between the bottom layer of the hammock and the pseudo-sleeping bag, the bugs will hopefully not snack on me all night.

Thanks for the link Dave - I spend a little time on that site - I don't think I've ever posted there but I have gleamed a lot of info from there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:04 am 
Quote:
I was in a pretty bad car wreck in 1994 and haven't been completely pain free since. Nights are difficult and the ground brings out the worst in trying to sleep. I have managed to reduce the pain in the last year - my workouts are contributing to a certain amount of relief.

I hope the HH will be more comfortable.

Depending on your injury, flat hard surface (i.e. ground) may be more comfortable than support provided by hammock. This is quite common with back pain - people abandon their beds and sofas for tatami or thin EVA pads. If you haven't tried your hammock in extended trip yet, at least you should try it 5-6 nights in row, in a backyard. The trip will be ruined if you suddenly discover that can't sleep in it. It's like with new boots - you don't take them on a serious hike until after some number of weekend trips. Snakes and alligators - this reason to get off the ground I can understand.
I thought about hammock for purposes of weight reduction, but not seriously. Lack of privacy, fewer options to spend/kill time in rainy weather (compared to tent), and lack of trees in some places was what made my mind against the hammock option.

I thought you meant converting HH into chair like people convert sleeping pads into chairs - with additional rods, straps etc - this takes time. Taking LH seat out of the boat is 2 buckles to undo (20 seconds, 15?) - the 3rd tiny buckle in front I replaced with a Velcro, it was too darn inconvenient for frequent use. OK, may be hammock is faster. But this is AFTER you've set it up on the trees. You won't probably do this for a lunch stop.

Besides... Picture yourself having a relaxed supper or breakfast. Eating your meal, then deciding to put the pot down and take a sip of tea or coffee; or put the tea/coffee cup down and grab something from ziplock with dryfruits, trail mix or whatever you are having for desert. You can't put anything down next to you in a hammock. No, sir, hammock ain't the same thing, no way....

One more thing. In the last trip it was darn buggy, and my routine before going to bed was closing tent zippers, turning headlamp on and getting rid of mosquitos and no-see-ems. You know - using T-shirt as a fan, make them suckers panic and fly, then you can see and slap them. How I would do this in a hammock, I wonder...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:01 am 

Alex, the HH probably has the best bug protection out there.

Again to Alex-- excellent point about making sure you till have the inflatable floatation in the boat.

And Mary's point about sleeping on a partially deflated airliner was inspired. I think much more could be done with possibilities our boats offer as part of our sleeping arrangements, either as bedding or as lean-tos. A Puffin 2, for instance, has great potential as a lean-to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:28 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'll see you there Gerry, I am bringing my trusty tent and Thermarest. I've got one of the Thermarest chair adaptors and it works fine if you don't mind being on the ground.

I can't wait to see your HH. Hopefully you'll have plenty of trees throught out the trip.

See you soon,
Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 2:14 pm 
Thanks Chris -

I arrive in BHM late on Wed afternoon, June 4, and will visit a few relatives, buy the last bit of groceries needed and unpack the boxes shipped to AL.

I've got to help my father get his trailer set up at Tannehill State Park on Thurday and then we'll hit the road early on Friday.

My father still gets up at the crack of dawn so we shouldn't have any issues - hopefully - getting to the Montgomery Marina to put in and connect with group coming from Millbrook.

I still don't know who is paddling past Sunday or Monday. It could be that I'll be on my own for the next week - that's fine. I'll manage.

Oh - my isses are neck-related not back. I do one exercise with my back where I lift 225 lb x 10 reps x 3 sets x 3 times/week with it but if I use my neck in any way, I pay for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:01 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

K7Baixo wrote:
Thanks Chris -

I arrive in BHM late on Wed afternoon, June 4, and will visit a few relatives, buy the last bit of groceries needed and unpack the boxes shipped to AL.

I've got to help my father get his trailer set up at Tannehill State Park on Thurday and then we'll hit the road early on Friday.

My father still gets up at the crack of dawn so we shouldn't have any issues - hopefully - getting to the Montgomery Marina to put in and connect with group coming from Millbrook.

I still don't know who is paddling past Sunday or Monday. It could be that I'll be on my own for the next week - that's fine. I'll manage.

Oh - my isses are neck-related not back. I do one exercise with my back where I lift 225 lb x 10 reps x 3 sets x 3 times/week with it but if I use my neck in any way, I pay for it.

Still in the planning stages, I am sort of a last minute type. I will be at the marina at 8am one way or another. Would dearly love to keep going past the 8th, but not in the cards this year :?

My camping gear is on the shelf near the kayaks and ready to go. Will probebly do a quick boil in bag meal the night of the 7th, so I should be packing pretty light. Not sure which boat I want to use.....I guess since we are jabbering in the FKO forum I should bring my Kahuna :roll:

C.

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 6:29 pm 
Quote:
I think much more could be done with possibilities our boats offer as part of our sleeping arrangements, either as bedding or as lean-tos. A Puffin 2, for instance, has great potential as a lean-to.

Even though I'm becoming obsessed with compact and double-use items, I doubt that folders can be used for anything else but paddling. To use it as a lean-to, or rain-cover or bedding or anything else, you need to
1) Unload all the gear so it won't add the weight and shift around, and
2) Bring and position the boat to where it can and has to be used as a lean-to or whatever you want it to be.

May be this works with Puffins, but LH MK1 isn't something that you want to move around more than you absolutely have to - it's incredibly heavy. Even with Kahuna I only bring it above the high tide line using the cart 90% of time, and leave it there, as it still weighs 60 lbs with rudder, FC backpack, another luggage bag (2 checked-in pieces in total), spare paddle, small foatation bag, repair kit and other permanent items that are difficult or unnecessary to unload every time.

Back to bugs - there is no shelter with perfect protection from them. They can't enter my tent when zippers are closed. But they can and do enter together with me, or when I open zippers for a second to put in or retrieve something.