Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:19 am 
MEC here has them on clearance for CAD $49 http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442592655&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302700471&bmUID=1222238569074. Can't beat that price. Probably they are getting ready to some new product (REI is clearing them too). I've bought mine for $40 three years ago (display item), and still happy. Perfect for low-deck boats like FC, to spend long hours without stewing in your own sweat, yet have a good foot protection when I need to get out of the boat on rocks, barnacles - anything. Good water shandals (shoe-sandals) are hard to find, and these are good ones. At least, it works for me.

Reviews at the MEC are mixed, but the picture is clear when you know what to look for. They are not trail runners - but you can explore shores around the camp for a mile or so if needed - good grip on any terrain. Laces I've permanently tied into knot at the point of best adjustment right after the adjustment "cleat", so they don't get loose during long walks like in some reviews. Probably laces are an "entrapment hazard", I was pondering for a while of replacing them with a thin shock-cord - but heck with them. I've got a knife on PFD. There is also strap around the back, which you can adjust any time. The back has a feature that I particularly like - it is flexible and I can trample it down like I do with my bedroom "slippers", if I don't expect much walking. Insoles I've discarded - Vibram-like sole is darn hard, and who needs insoles in sandals?

They are not "Teva-like sandals" - you will not lose them in mud, neither will you injure toes or heels (unprotected in Teva). But they will take some time to dry - not terribly long, as there is a lot of mesh. If you need something instantly drying (and easy to loose), get $6 foam Crocs - I'm using the latter in a hardshell kayak on day paddle. (But you can't wear Crocs in FC singles - the deck is low and Crocs are bulky). They are not hard-sole neoprene booties like NRS Attack either - Salomons will let sand in, but it's easy to get rid of it.

I did have a minor problem with my Salomons - some seam in the left shoe was bothering me for a month, at the "knuckle" at the base of big toe (blisters-prone spot in many shoes and many people) - and then it disappeared.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Looks like a great deal. Too bad for me, I just bought these from REI http://www.rei.com/product/722202 . With size 12 feet, I need something as compact around my foot as possible. These have worked out well and will NOT come off in the mud. The tread is good enough for those slippery boat ramps. My only complaint is that they do not allow feet to dry and they take a while to dry themselves.

I could use something like the ones you have found for the ventilation.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:47 pm 
kayakamper wrote:
Looks like a great deal. Too bad for me, I just bought these from REI http://www.rei.com/product/722202 . With size 12 feet, I need something as compact around my foot as possible. These have worked out well and will NOT come off in the mud. The tread is good enough for those slippery boat ramps. My only complaint is that they do not allow feet to dry and they take a while to dry themselves.

I could use something like the ones you have found for the ventilation.

Chris

I'm telling you, Tech Amphib are same compact and have same good grip as those neoprene that you bought. Amphibs do allow feet to dry, - well, sort of; together with the whole shoe . As long as it's room temperature or warmer, it feels good in them wet, warm and ventilated - and even in narrow confines of FC they eventually dry out in a few hours on a warm day. REI had Tech Amphibs somewhere at $50, I think. Good expedition shoe for FC boats.

Here is those foam "Water Clogs" that I mentioned as well - for warm and easy paddle when you have more under-deck room and not very difficult launch and landing terrain, cost $9 at Target, but can be found anywhere from $6, and up to $30 for original Crocs that China hijacked, as usual ;-) . Well - most of our manufacturing went to China lately, and my Amphibs are made there too - but $9 Target/Walmart etc sandals are not any brand, just a knock-off. Surprisingly, this foam isn't too slippery, but they are stiff, dangling around your foot (the strap shown prevents them from falling off, but doesn't provide ankle support), so jumping over some boulders can be done only very carefully:
Image Warning: these are VERY big both inside and outside, so buy them One size smaller than you normally wear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:37 pm 
Actually, the price is really low. That could be a good start for them for a better marketing of their shoes. This will attract more customers and will row easily.