Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:18 pm 
forum fanatic

Good evening all,

New to the forum, although I've been lurking for some time. My folding kayak experience is a Klepper Aerius II, which I owned and paddled for many years, but sold a few years ago. Since then I have been sailing a heavy double-ender sailboat, but am gravitating towards a Klepper life again.

Anyway, I saw this invention at a fair some time ago and thought I'd share it. It's a kind of "Swiss Army knife of kayak gear", designed by an avid paddler/kayak sailer here in Sweden. A kayak cart that turns into a luggage trolley that turns into a quite nice sailing rig (designed by North Sails) that turns into a camping chair that turns into a hammock that turns into a backpack. For me the cart/trolley and sail rig are the most interesting and well thought-out ideas. The sail rig is 0.8 sqm/9 sqf, so no leeboard is needed.

http://www.funktionelldesign.se/default.asp?lang=eng

To see pictures of the various functions, click Products and then the subheadings under Färdiland (the subpages are in Swedish though).

For photos of the rig in action, click Slideshow, then Skärhamn to Malmön.

Best regards,
Mats (no, not affiliated in any way with the inventor or his company)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:24 pm 
2 certain problems:
1) What if I want to use it as a kayak cart, when it's installed as a sail rig?
2) It's not very compact when dissembled completely or partially. (This is why it is shown sitting on kayak deck when paddling). Storing a good kayak cart in a folder is often a problem.

and one possible problem:
I saw wheels like these - they don't have any bearings (i.e. when the inner bushing is immobile on the axle, and the outer bushing is rotating around it). I might be wrong here - the photos can't be enlarged - but this is important detail.

And one neutral comment (not anything negative):
I've come to conclusion that camping chair should be a separate thing from the kayak cart. Sometimes you pull the kayak out of water on the cart, tow it closer to your lunch or tent area, and it stays on the cart until the time comes to sail off again. If you need the cart to use it as a chair, the kayak has to be taken off the cart, and then loaded up again to tow it back to water. I'm trying to avoid lifting heavy weight whenever possible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:55 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Alex,

Yes, I agree with some of those comments.

The cart can be completely disassembled though, including the wheels, IIRC. Regarding the rig, one would only want to buy the sail and boom if mounting it on a Klepper, seeing that Klepper has a masthole and wouldn't use the deck-mounted mastfoot as designed by the inventor.

Best regards,
Mats