Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:37 am 
Site Admin

MoeJoe wrote:
Btw, anyone who have a good solution on how to get a good GPS attachment on a Feathercraft? [snip] So I can use the GPS single handed and have it steady where I want it. Solutions for this are probably easier on hardshells..
MJ, a simple solution is to glue some hook Velcro to the back of the unit (pressure sensitive adhesive backed velcro is good enough). The hook Velcro gives enough tooth that the unit will not slide around on top of the usual neoprene deck of a sprayskirt. A lanyard to a deck bungie provides security. I have done this with my Map60C (using a minicell foam cradle for it, because its back is not flat), and used it this way for 5 years or so with no problems.

Attachment:
ObliqueAssembled02.jpg

Attachment:
RearVelcro.jpg

Attachment:
DisassembledVelcroView.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:15 pm 
faltbootemeister

Okey, I think I have a simple and quite functional solution for my Feathercraft!

I bought the Kayak/Snowmobile GPS stand for the Garmin Dakota, cost about $40.

Made a tiny hole in the front-end of the spray skirt, and assembled.

Result very promising, the plate gets support from the cockpit rim beneath, seems plenty stable enough.

Just where I want it, not in the way, and within reach. And can still have the string attached to my life jacket.

Pictures:

Blog: jarladventures.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:38 pm 
MoeJoe wrote:
Okey, I think I have a simple and quite functional solution for my Feathercraft!

I bought the Kayak/Snowmobile GPS stand for the Garmin Dakota, cost about $40.

Made a tiny hole in the front-end of the spray skirt...

If you make a wooden or foam block with V-groove at the bottom and 4 holes for bungee cords, you can attach any mount to it, without having to mess with the skirt. Then the block goes in front of the cockpit onto the deck ridge (or onto the deckbag ridge, like in Greg's photo on red K1).

I agree that on the deck it might be too far for some people to see (including me) - so I just pull it out of the deckbag onto the skirt when I need it. Other people pull it out of the pocket.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:56 am 
faltbootemeister

Before I got the Dakota, I thought I'd be using it only occassionally. But in reality, it's great fun to keep it on deck, for example to get immediate feedback on sail rig trimming v.s. speed. Also for continous navigation checks on the map, the Stockholm archipelago is quite a maze with its 25.000+ islands. Or as a "motivational aid" to maintain a decent pace when paddling solo for longer distances. I'll see how this KISS application works, I think it will be perfect for my usage. And if it isn't, plugging the 3mm hole in the spray skirt will be very simple with some patch.

Blog: jarladventures.blogspot.com