Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

>Chris, I think you're right about the older Landcruisers being far better off road vehicles than the newer ones.

I've owned 2 FJ-40's, a 74 and a 75 (I think). Both had been converted to Chevy V-8's, one was purcheasd that way (307 ), and my son and I converted the other one (350 ) which we still own. A new crate engine 350 costs only $1300US new. Before you scoff, remember that the inline 6 in the original is a Chevy design.

http://yostwerks.com/Chevy307.jpg - Built for the Rockies !
http://yostwerks.com/chevy350.jpg - My son working on the 350 install

Speaking of FJ Land Cruisers, below is a Link to the 2007 model soon to be introduced to the US. Very cool in a retro kind of way. Check it out. It would look really good hauling a folder. I'm holding out for the hybrid.

http://www.autoblog.com/2005/02/09/2007 ... irst-look/

There isn't a lot I can add about SAAB's after Kapt Kleppers dissertation, however, My 1965 SAAB 95 had a "freewheel" lever that allowed shifting , after once moving in first gear, without using the clutch. The value of which has somehow left me after all these years. Plus, it had a 4-speed on the column.

I do recall being pulled over by the cops due to all the smoke pouring out due to the 2-cycle engine. This was particularally bad when going up hill due to the added load on the engine. I remember seeing a guy behind me once using his windshield wipers on a sunny day. Ah, the good old days. (yeah right !)

Regards,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:06 pm 
Copy you on that! That's why I still have a Series II. The more complicated something is, the more that can go wrong, and the shorter it's life expectancy, in my view. Why do you suppose so many photographers prefer to shoot old mechanical Nikons "Beyond the Black Stump" or in the boonies?
Even the electric windows for example. Just a little water in the switch, the copper gets a film on it and the switch has to be disassembled or replaced, -personal experience. Oh, and airbags on a 4x4? :roll: What's the impact speed that the airbags need for deployment? What, 5 m.p.h? I've hit stumps harder than that with my bumper! -That's the last thing I want on some dirt track, is the airbag to deploy and block my vision! Anyway, modern SUV bumpers usually sustain a couple thousand dollars damage at impacts less than that :? !

Anyway, I've solved the hightech/expense angle temporarily by buying certain selected used vehicles. I get 2 or more for the price of one!

-Kap'n

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:12 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I contacted Land Rover about the Defender, and one part of the info I got back was that the Defender wasn't imported to the US after '98 because of airbags-- they won't be fitting them to the Defender. Interesting to hear that might change in '08... I guess the US market is just too tempting. Interesting that Peugeot has stayed out since '89!

Tom: thanks for the links to the FJ-- glad to hear they might bring it back.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 am 
While maybe not the most comfortable on road (or off for that matter!) nobody has yet mentioned the Unimog. For off road they are hard to beat, but somewhat slow and "tractor like" on road.
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:47 pm 
Tom: You're right, I got rather long winded back there! I guess everyone now knows I'm not only a Klepper geek, but also a SAAB geek :oops: .

Thanks on the info about the FJ Toyota, It'll make my SO happy!

Unimog: My parents' farming landlords had something similar to one of these back in Germany. Mum told me that it'd about knock your teeth out to ride in one! Not that my Landy is much different, I've cracked batteries twice when they've came loose from the bracket!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

This thread is getting rather far afield from camping gear for kayaks :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:01 am 

Kaptain von Klepper wrote:
Why do you suppose so many photographers prefer to shoot old mechanical Nikons "Beyond the Black Stump" or in the boonies?

I'm still loving the Nikonos II that Mike (Administrator of this forum) sold to me. No batteries! I use it for backpacking trips, snowshoeing in cold, hiking in storms... but not much for kayaking. I've used "snapsights" more in the kayak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:03 am 

mje wrote:

A similar complaint started this thread in the first place. And I've really been enjoying it!

In any case, I think the question of vehicles used to reach the put-in is very much one of "expedition gear".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

chrstjrn wrote:
>In any case, I think the question of vehicles used to reach the put-in is very much one of "expedition gear".

I agree. You can't get a kayak to the water without transportation.

Here's a 4X4 expedition transport vehicle directly related to folding kayaks.
http://yostwerks.com/Deere.html - Did you hear the one about the woman who broke
up with her boyfriend by sending him a John Deere letter. :)

I'd like to see a thread on motorcycles... as long as it's related to kayak transportation of course !
http://yostwerks.com/Thule6.html

Regards to all,

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

chrstjrn wrote:
mje wrote:

A similar complaint started this thread in the first place. And I've really been enjoying it!

In any case, I think the question of vehicles used to reach the put-in is very much one of "expedition gear".

As always, I bow to the will of the majority. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:37 pm 

Thanks for everything, Mike!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:07 pm 
Thanks all! I've found this thread very enjoyable.

Post subject: Photography
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:37 pm 
To follow the photography topic:

viewtopic.php?p=2070#2070

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:38 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

The Toyota LandCruiser pickup (LC 78 series, 3 seat troop carrier?) has virtually 100% market share in the Omani fishing villages that we drove through, which is a testament to its toughness and reliability. The fisherman launch their boats right into the surf. Their trucks spend a lot of time off the road, dragging the boats on and off the beach, driving in the sand, etc. These trucks would easily move through the deep, soft sand that lies above the high tide water mark, something I didn't want to try in the Cherokee for fear of getting stuck, without a partner to pull me out. If you're an Omani fisherman and drive something other than a Toyota LandCruiser pick-up truck, you are definately out of place.

I've posted a couple pics in my album of the trucks we saw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:37 pm 
>recent experts in the US determined that petrol would have to reach US$5.00 per gallon before a major change in habits could be observed in the US

I wish it were that simple... Rudimentary level of public transportation like subway, long-distance fast trains and suburban trains, compared to Europe, - this also adds to car-dependence in the USA and Canada. Especially here on the West coast. Some areas of Vancouver cant be realistically reached by any public transportation at all. Hard to blame ordinary people when the whole urban and suburban planning has been tied up to car industry for many years.

>30% of the world's pollution -though you blokes up in Vancouver must be increasingly aware of China's desire to capture this last dubious recognition

Yes. If you read the article linked in my previous message - they are going to build 168 coal power stations in the next 10 years. And there is also India.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next