Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:29 pm 
Besides my sporty onroad only car, I do have a mountain bike. I've seen the motorcycle mounted otter pics. Camelback mods anybody... Anybody? I'm thinking my camelback rogue isnt quite big enough stock.

Tyler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

Just a note: I very reluctantly deleted an item that had gone beyond the topic of transport and into politics. My apologies to the poster, who is one of our best contributors; this is not a judgment one way or the other on the opinion expressed. But I have to draw the line at some arbitrary point, and that was it. This is a kayaking forum, and must remain free from potentially divisive debate not related to kayaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:45 pm 
Hello everyone; this is my first post, so it's ironic it should wind up in a non-kayaking related thread. However, you gotta start somewhere, and as someone mentioned, you gotta have some way to get your kayak to the beach.

Those of you interested in serious expedition vehicles will enjoy this forum:

http://www.expeditionportal.com

It's a group of people as interested in vehicle-dependent journeying as you all are in kayak-dependent journeying. And many of them kayak as well, including me.

I happen to drive a 32-year-old Land Cruiser FJ40, with which I ran a sea kayak guiding service in Mexico for several years. The Land Cruiser had over 200,000 miles on it when I started guiding, and it never let me down while towing a trailer full of kayaks and gear into a bunch of remote Mexican beaches.

My wife drives a Toyota Tacoma, which is a fitting descendant of the Land Cruiser. Just as reliable, but way more comfortable on the road.

Post subject: Stick with an Original!
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:15 am 
I have to speak up for Land Rover..... even though I have such fond memories of my Saabs. I actually raced a couple of Saab 96-es, during my early rally carreer. Fast and fun to drive, the only problem occured if you ever rolled it - the round shape made it roll like an egg. :lol:

Our Land Rover Defender makes for an exceptional travel vehicle. We´ve had several Land Rovers – from the Series to our recent modern Defender 110 with the great TD5, BMW derived diesel.

Our 110´s got load space like an airfield hangar and can handle anything we throw at it. We load the heavy stuff inside the car and large lighter items – like clothing – on the roof rack.

We have an EeziAwn roof tent that works great even under the most radical weather conditions, and a "real kitchen" on the back door. This year we added an awning along one side, large enough to stay out of the sun/ rain, while assembling our boats and gear.

Sure, you can do all of this with almost any 4x4, but the solidity and purpose build quality of a Land Rover is totally unique. The pedigre as the ultimate expedition vehicle also means that we benefit from a world wide community of other Land Rover enthusiasts – something that comes in handy in many situations – car related or otherwise.

Our "modern" version is comfortable on long journeys, – not fast but with an acceptable cruising speed even when full of gear. Great pulling power, usable low range gearbox and exceptional off road capabilities. And, as they say: "There´s always something wrong with it – but it never breaks down".

We love our Defender!

Morten + Gina
in Denmark

Post subject: Land Rovers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:53 pm 
I've always had a soft spot for Land Rovers, and, by happy chance, now have one of my own, bought in the time between my post on Land Cruisers and Morten's post on Rovers. I got a great deal on a 1974 Series III 88, which I have named Grendel. It needs a few things, but I love it. It's fun and enlightening to own both a Rover and a Cruiser.

Of course, I did need to buy an oil drip pan, something I've never owned before, much to the Land Cruiser's amusement, I'm sure. I told a friend the Land Cruiser is thinking "Every time I go near that thing it pees on the floor."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:29 pm 
Avventuri wrote:
even though I have such fond memories of my Saabs. I actually raced a couple of Saab 96-es, during my early rally carreer. Fast and fun to drive, the only problem occured if you ever rolled it - the round shape made it roll like an egg.

Ah, another SAAB fanatic. I think Erik (On the roof) Carlsson" found the rollability of the Saab an advantage on at least one occasion while rallying...

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:10 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Rolling (a car) is scary...especially when the car rolls multiple times! I went into the desert with the Santana and quickly got into a bad situation, being seriously off camber on a decent sized dune. I made the wrong decision and rolled 3-4 times to the bottom. VERY SCARY! The roof was starting to collapse. I thought it was all over, and was very glad when the car came to rest on its tires.

Here's the beast, post trauma:

Here's the restored vehicle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:56 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hey, Paul-- very sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you're OK.

JMH... why do I have this strong suspicion that you wrote this book that I'm in the process of finishing up? Hmm? A very good book, by the way. And it's got a nice looking model in the pictures...

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:50 pm 
Chris, I believe you could be correct, and thanks. That's my lovely assistant and (lucky me) wife in the photos. She did a lot of paddling and wet exits for that book.

Paul, you were fortunate indeed. That's a good argument for internal roll cages, which I have on my Land Cruiser and will install on the Land Rover. And your rebuilt Santana looks great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:10 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Well, I was get online and delete my little "out-ing" of you, this morning, and send you an apology. Now I just have to go and write a nice review of it on Amazon-- I finished it while lying-in on this Saturday morning. The clouds look like they might be about to clear over the Alps, and I discovered there's a public put-in just 2 blocks from me. I was going to set up the Klepper with the schooner sails, but the Swift might be a better ticket, today.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:37 am 
No problem at all, Chris. And thanks for doing an Amazon review; those do help sell books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:46 am 

A roll cage is a good idea. I believe the full length roof rack helped me, as it distributed the weight of the upside down vehicle along the perimeter of steel doors as opposed to the fiberglass/composite roof. Then again, the roof rack supports may have contributed to the roof tearing just above my head.

Jonathan, I didn't make the connection until just now. I have a '98 edition of Complete Sea Kayak Touring which I enjoyed very much. I'm looking forward to your contributions here on the site.

Paul

Post subject: Roll cages
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:25 pm 
Thanks, Paul.

I agree that the rack probably helped overall in distributing the impact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:09 pm 
Paul: :shock: you said 3 or 4 x ! Holy Cow! Good to see you're still around- not even any serious whip-lash or such? Also, I'm really surprised they were able to piece the vehicle back together. The frame wasn't twisted or anything?

Congrats on the pic posting :wink:

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Carlsson]Use Link:
Erik Carlsson[/url]
I suppose I should explain Erik Carlsson using rollability to his advantage. I agree rolling should be avoided at all costs, and didn't intend to make light of it. The story, which I can't seem to find a direct reference to on any website, goes: In the 1962 East African Safari Rally where he placed 7th, Carlsson got stuck in a mud hole. To extract himself, he apparently rolled his SAAB 96 onto its roof and on over to better traction. This unorthodox method earned him a new nick name "Carlsson on the Roof", which I'm sure was inspired in part by the 1955 Swedish character Karlson-On-the-Roof -The association I just discovered while doing research for this posting. The rally story goes on to say that a competitor tried imitating Carlsson's technique and got his (other make) car stuck on its roof. :lol:

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:16 pm 

I rolled the car back in early March. It was something that I just walked away from it with just a bruise on my arm and a little neck stiffness. Had my seatbelt not been on it would have been another, sadder story. Also, it would have been much worse had the dune been bigger. I have been on dunes in the Empty Quarter that were 700 feet high, multiples bigger than this one was. Now, that would be bad news to roll down one of those. Still, with the roof collapsing and the car rolling and rolling, it was was scary enough. I'm thankful to God that I am here and healthy.

Since the Santana is the only one in this country there is no dealer network, so I had to get parts from Spain. It took a long time. I just got the car back in August. It was a good thing the frame or chassis didn't become damaged.

I am not anxious to get back out there dune bashing just yet.

I appreciate the story of Erik. I don't think I would have been that clever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next