The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torqeedo
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:12 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

This thing is pretty neat.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=828268

I've been thinking about a little trolling motor for my Whaler, this could be kinda fun to play with on the AII as well. You could probably tuck it up under the bow - sail all day, then motor back home... ha. Paddle... what's that?

Watch some of the videos, fun stuff.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Torqeedo
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 am 
I was amazed too, when discovered Torqeedo a while ago. Then researched more and decided that 4-stroke 2 HP gasoline motor is better for me. Not for FC kayaks - those can't take any motor, but I see a different boat in my future.

Electrical motor in the link is 28lbs incl. integrated battery, though this is their smallest unit, 0.75 HP. If you want more power and mileage, more substantial motor is needed, and more battery, and a decent battery would weigh 40 lbs and cost a bit. Going off-grid, for long weekend trip away from your car - how you will charge the battery? Solar panels won't do. Pulling kayak on a cart higher/farther from water - again, carry the battery back and forth.

Trolling motors are good for trolling or getting 2-3 miles to local fishing hole in calm weather, - not for getting to some distant camp and coming back home; if weather screws up, trolling motor won't get you far.

You may check photos by Tord Eriksson in the Gallery - he is using a small gas motor on AEII. Or go to Youtube and dial "canoe outboard motor". "motorized canoe" etc - there is plenty, and they are mostly gas motors, 28-30 lbs with 1 quart gas tank integrated into motor head. Fuel economy of small 4-strokes is impressive, about 3.5L/100 km or 70 mpg, though speed is relatively low.

After checking real-life accounts you will likely realize that will have to live with a side motor mount most of the time, and very likely - with the motor on that mount. Attaching side mount on water, then getting the motor from under decks and saddling it onto the mount - looks like a lot of hassle to me. With 30 lbs gas motor most people have to live with a small aka/ama (outrigger) on the motor side as well, because of the balance concerns. Though, Torqeedo with integrated battery is same heavy as 2HP gas motor - which must be one of the reasons for low popularity of this model against units with separate battery.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

They say that when the motor is set to 'efficient' mode it can run for five to six hours.

I can't really imagine taking it out on any kind of real journey, because this amount of run time is very short when contemplating a multi-day trip. Then again, a gas engine has little appeal in a kayak as well.

I guess I was thinking more of letting the kids play with the motor and the Klepper on the lake -- but at $1000, that could be an expensive play outing should there be a mishap.

So what's the new dream boat Alex?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:47 am 
DLee wrote:
They say that when the motor is set to 'efficient' mode it can run for five to six hours.

They say a lot but few people buys, literally and figuratively. Its "efficient speed" is 1.6 knots, according to promoter that went out of business (his web page is no more) :
https://picasaweb.google.com/alexm22110 ... 0111213714
Small "canoe" can run 14 nm at 1.6 knots, i.e. 8.5 hours. I assume - on flat water, no wind or current. This is for small 50 lbs canoe. For AEII with 1 guy - 12 nm or 7 hrs may be. 1.6 knots = 1.8 m/hr, kids will be bored. At faster speeds range drops fast.

Quote:
I can't really imagine taking it out on any kind of real journey, because this amount of run time is very short when contemplating a multi-day trip.

12 nm will get you to some spot 6 nm away and back (again, on flat water). Most boats can be paddled that far without much problem. Could be used for getting back (i.e. one way) from 12 nm downwind location where you sailed to, but if wind changes or battery runs out sooner, you will have to deal with a headwind paddling suddenly. They aren't really for "getting there"; rather - for trolling around the spot.

Quote:
Then again, a gas engine has little appeal in a kayak as well.
It's not in a kayak, usually. Either on side-mount, or on the Y-stern or square stern. With 25-30 nm range (with speed 4-5 knots) on integrated 1.5 liter gas tank (i.e. in the motor head) there isn't much need in carrying gas in the boat, at least for short overnighter. Multiday trip would require gas canister.

Quote:
I guess I was thinking more of letting the kids play with the motor and the Klepper on the lake -- but at $1000, that could be an expensive play outing should there be a mishap.

There are cheaper toys around. Electrical Minnkotta with 30-40 AH battery will cost under $250. Heavy guys on wide boats like Cobra Fish/n/Dive love it for fishing.