All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:59 am 
forum fanatic

Has anyone already tried this?

http://www.holidaytarifa.com/hammock/Ul ... mmock.html

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:28 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I haven't heard of it, and I couldn't find any other reference to it on the internet. There is so little information on the web page - not even an address - that I would not be inclined to trust the sellers.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:13 pm 
forum fanatic

Yes, you might be right Mary... appears to me (yours) a wise approach too, since it seems to have been developed about 2 years ago or so.
But it looks a radical design different from anything else so far, and a contact would help a bit more on its functionalities (at least in my case).
Cheers

Last edited by mussopo on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

Interesting design- but done by someone who's never spent a lot of time in a hammock. The hammock should be cut asymmetrically or be large enough that you can sleep or lay at an angle to the supports, which allows you to lay with your back straight, rather than curled up. That puts a lot of strain on your back.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:31 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have never gotten a decent nights sleep in a hammock.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:03 am 
DLee wrote:
I have never gotten a decent nights sleep in a hammock.

d

I have never gotten a decent nights sleep on any field bed. The closest to my (rather simple) home mattress was when I set my tent on a sandy beach, using my usual combo - 10mm blue foam AND 1.5" (37mm) Thermarest, both full-length. And I spent about 20 minutes crouching around the prospective camp site to determine the best, most flat and horizontal area, - not an easy task when the beach is mile long and 100 yards wide and looks pretty much the same everywhere...

But Mike is right - there are good hammocks like asymmetrical Hennessy, they have their niche. Mostly when traditional methods like tent/tarp and sleeping pad don't work. Funny thing is - on the beach shown in the advertising of that free-standing hammock, traditional methods work just perfect :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:51 am 
forum fanatic

Hi folks

I've never camped with a hammock, but have already rested in a light net type (with no bar extensions), hanged as usual from trees, and felt confortable for short length of time though.

My main concern was to use the hammock in every possible available situation, regardless of sleeping confort design (as mentioned) which of course is important too.

Or better yet (?), go the folding way (think this one allows for a flat sleep) ...but this is 24lbs:
http://www.amazon.com/Kelsyus-80007-Por ... m_dbs_sg_1

Last edited by mussopo on Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

The Hennessy Hammock is my preferred camping method whenever trees are available. It's far more comfortable than any air mattress I've ever used, and far lighter than the combination of tent and mattress. I've converted a number of friends over to Hennessys, including one who previously used only a bag and lightweight tarp. Their lightest unit is 1lb 9oz- that's less than a Thermarest Trail Light lightweight air mattress!

I do tend to get excited talking about these, but if you've never tried one, you'll be amazed how comfy they are.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:04 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for reply Michael.

And what about Clark's?
Somewhere in the net, i got the notion these don't allow for the desirable flat sleep.

Last edited by mussopo on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:07 pm 
Weight isn't a big concern in a kayak; bulk sometimes is. Still, considering benefits that tent can provide over a hammock, this is probably the reason why tents (or tarps) with some sleeping pad (foam or Thermarest) are much more popular than hammocks. I wouldn't compare sleeping comfort of either one - I didn't try asymmetrical Hennessy hammock, but I also didn't try new Exped down mats that are said to be even more comfortable than foam/air Thermarest.

Yes, there is a concern of using a hammock in any possible situation - sometimes there is nothing to hang it on.

And there is a similar concern with tent and pad, though less often. If there is any accessible shore, then there is some relatively flat area that you can pull your kayak on, so there will be some area to sleep on. There could be boulders making your sleep uncomfortable, and chances are that such a rocky area won't have any trees to hang a hammock or two conveniently located big rocks.

There are situations when using tent is impossible - I would imagine swamps or terrains with a lot of snakes and other things that you don't want around your tent. I hope not to have to camp in such places.