Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:23 am 
forum fanatic

Last week I had a chance to try out my newly completed sil nylon tarp tent kit. Took some motivation to actually finish the thing, but I'm glad I did. It has been quite a while since I have practiced the manly art of sewing, so there was a bit of a learning curve.

First impression: Waking up in the morning not feeling clammy from condensation is a really great thing. The pack volume and weight savings are substantial as well. It's most everything I like about tarp camping, but without the bugs.

To be sure, tarping it is not for everyone or all situations. It sure is a nice option though.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:34 am 
forum fanatic

Here is a close up shot.

If you like the idea of making your own gear, this makes a good starter project!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Excellent. This will have me making a fly sheet for my Blacks Artic Guinea tent, something i have been considering for over 40 years.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:24 pm 
forum fanatic

Go for it! There are only two kinds of seams in a project like this. Both are easily learned. My biggest fear was somehow ruining the materials. Since the money was already spent, I figured I had nothing to lose.

Come to find out making a tarp or fly is far from rocket science. It's not like it has to fit your body or anything. Being off on your cutting by 1/4", or even 1/2" is likely no big deal.

If you have every thought about it, just give it a try. Even a total failure will be fairly cheap compared to much of the gear we all have purchased. Might make a good winter project.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:54 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I,ll get the tent out and check it. This year it has passed it,s 50th year. When these were on sale Blacks in the UK advertised them as being so waterproof and breathable that no fly sheet was needed, the material is called ventile. A few years ago i was camping in one of Ontario,s provincial parks and someone saw another of my tents which was made by YANGO and he asked me where he could buy one and at the time it was about 20 years old. Blacks took over Vango but i think the Vango is available to order, they are made from cotton, a great tent which i first used on a moutain leadership course way back. These older tent require a few pegs knocked into the ground to hold them up, the lines can be tied to rocks but that is often not practical, and a lot of places i camp has no soil just bare rock or rock near the surface so i had to get a self supporting tent which you have to tie to something to stop it being blown away. I can,t add photos right now as i have a problem with my photo file in the computer. About 10 years ago on a trip to the UK i went in one of Blacks shops to try and get a fly sheet for my "Blacks Artic Guinea tent", what a differance it was, instead of being a genuine out doorshop for the enthusiast it has become like some of the shops over here, more like clothing shops, the person i spoke to had of course never heard of the tent i had and the catalog he gave me had tents the same as every other companies and probably made in China.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm 
forum fanatic

Hey!

Just wondering, what's underneath the tarp? I love tarp camping and have slept through thunderstorm and cold winds even with just a tarp. I really wish I can do something about the bugs though! How did you put the bug net together?