Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Quechua Tents?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:14 pm 
Although I asked about this on a Pnet message board, I thought I'd ask it here, as well. I'll remove this message if it's a breach of posting ettiquette.

Does anyone have experience with these tents? I sort of like this one: http://tinyurl.com/ohgt7 . This is the same company that makes those Two and Three Second tents that you toss into the air and they land "set-up."

Thanks,

Chris

Post subject: Re: Quechua Tents?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Christov_Tenn wrote:
Does anyone have experience with these tents? I sort of like this one: http://tinyurl.com/ohgt7 .
Nope. The one that comes up is a 4-person one with an attached stand-up vestibule. Is that the one you are considering?

My principal reservation is that this style puts all your eggs in one basket. Meaning, your kitchen shelter/out-of-the-rain spot is also the entrance to your tent. Many kayak campers prefer to separate that area from the tent site, to remove food smells from your sleeping area, and to make best use of a site in which tent space is limited, and/or the kitchen needs to be below the tide line for hygiene (food scraps and odors wash away with the tide), or scenic placement.

Some folks I have paddled with use a small, separate tarp as an entryway cover to make tent entry easier, and to allow boot/clothes changing outside to keep wet stuff out of the tent. Even vestibuled tents can be troublesome for this process if the weather is horrible.

Whatever shakes your booty, though ... :lol: :wink:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:23 am 
Site Admin

I do like vestibles- not as a place to cook, but as a plce to leave mud and dirt and wet clothes.

Since switching to Hennesy Hammocks, though, I don't use a tent. The hammock is so much more comfortable than anyother outdoor sleeping arrangment that I never looked back. In rainy weather I'll erect a fly to cook under- usually a cheap poly tarp, unless I'm travelling superlight.

Post subject: What If?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:17 am 
What if there are no trees at the campsite? I guess in both your part of the world and mine, there're plenty of trees, though.

I was also thinking of the large vestibule as a place to keep gear, boots, shoes, out of the weather, was also planning to use a tarp to cook under. That Quechua is a huge tent, but it'd make my wife feel more secure/at home, and in the RZ, weight/size isn't the issue it'd be in a single boat. Also thinking of it as a car-camping tent.

Chris

Post subject: Re: What If?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:28 am 
Site Admin

Christov_Tenn wrote:
What if there are no trees at the campsite? I guess in both your part of the world and mine, there're plenty of trees, though.

I was also thinking of the large vestibule as a place to keep gear, boots, shoes, out of the weather, was also planning to use a tarp to cook under. That Quechua is a huge tent, but it'd make my wife feel more secure/at home, and in the RZ, weight/size isn't the issue it'd be in a single boat. Also thinking of it as a car-camping tent.
It would be good for that.

I expect we each have our preferences for tent style, and that those preferences reflect, in large part, where we use them.

Now and then I camp on open areas with no trees nearby. When there is no driftwood handy for tarpage, I just hunker down behind whatever shelter there is and cook/eat/gawk as best I can.

That brings up the secondary reservation I have about that large Quechua tent: without bombproof anchors, it is a liability in a high wind (30 knots, say). I've seen tent structures of that height go sailing off or whomped by a big gust. But, if there is shelter from wind, that becomes a moot consideration.

Be a great car camping haven, though. Better not show the photo to Becky! :wink:

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.