Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:55 pm 
I have had a great deal of success with a Moss 4-season one-man tent since the early '90's. It is still going strong. It is light and it vents well. I have also used a bivvy sack +/- a minimalist tarp. It works well in really good weather, but there just isn't much respite from weather on a longer trip. Not a bad experience, though. I also use an Expedition from Eureka. It too is from the early 90's. It is heavy, but built like a tank. Both of these tents have stood well through very bad weather on a number of occasions. The Moss in particular, is immune to wind and snow drifts.

I recently purchased a Noah 12' tarp. The first time I set it up I though it was a pain. Now I have a system down, and it is *very* easy with two people, less so with one person. I was able to configure it in many different ways, and it stood well, was quickly adjustable as the weather fronts passed over, and kept us dry. I have set it with full and half poles. With half-pole setting, it is a snug little bugger! It makes me think it is a great option for semi-minimalist camping. Full poles in the day, half poles at night.

I am interested in the hammocks from Hennesy. They show is used as a tent in such a way that dependency on trees is eliminated. Of course, there are many other purpose made minimilast shelters--the Hennesy attraction to me would be the hammock experience. High and dry, swayin in the breeze.

When it comes down to it, you will have to focus on your real needs in a shelter, then adjust up and down according to "wants".

I recently spent a weekend with the Scouts, and saw a lot of tent variations. Quality costs money. The designs and manufacturers that have been around will be your best bet. Watch the quality carefully. Consider renting a tent (REI) to try it out.

A great shelter is a true comfort and can be a life saver. Good Luck!

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:27 am 
Check out the August, 2006 edition of Backpacker magazine. There is a good article "Ultralight 2.0" The next generation.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:02 am 
faltbootemeister

Here are some Kifaru Paratipi photos, a great one man tipi, a good summer shelter for two, but if you need a little more room, go for the 4 man tipi.

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Nice tarp/tent, Will. Hand Island, Broken Group?

Does it keep the insects out?

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:37 pm 
faltbootemeister

Dave, you are truly the expert, yes this is my camp on Hand.

I had mosquito netting for the door, but some made it into the tipi under the sides, i expected this would happen, so i bought a coleman mosquito net for the trip, had no problem with insects, its the blue bag.

But Mark and me got our share of visits from a resident mouse.

:?

I am going to sew a piece of tarp on the net to make it mouseproof.

:evil:

Will post new photos of the replacement 4 man tipi later this fall,

servus,

Willi

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP