Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bicycle Carts
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:39 pm 
I noticed a topic evolving under another thread:
Bike trailers are definitely appealing, especially if car-parking by the put-in is restricted or regulated.

I'm very curious about bicycle carts. One of these could be really handy for where I'm going :) Do you have pics?

I've had an idea of how strapping a regular cart to the kayak and then finding some way of attaching a hitch to the rudder yoke could make for very versatile and light weight setup. :?

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:47 pm 
faltbootemeister

Here is the link for the bike trailer:

http://www.carryfreedom.com/Y-Frame.html

I am planning to just strap the Kahuna or K1 in its bag on the trailer, bike over to the lake, assemble the kayak and beat the gangsters a the gas station plus have a good workout for the legs also. :P

Your idea for towing the assembled kayak is very interesting too, i remember seeing a kit in an old sea kayaker magazine, but since no drivers in Austria are used for such long hauls, i would be very afraid of getting run over by a reckless driver. :(

At least we could use the trailer as a kayak cart too! :idea:

servus,

Willi

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:07 pm 
faltbootemeister

They have an extra long handle avaliable for towing a 17 ft long kayak or canoe!
:!:

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:57 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I use a Burley Nomad cargo trailer with my bike:
http://www.burley.com/products/trailers ... =Nomad&i=5
It wouldn't take an assembled kayak, but is fine for a bagged one.

I haven't taken it with me in the kayak, but it would be possible. The towbar, wheels and sides are all quick-release and could be stowed. The flatbed is around 20" x 30" and you would need to undo some screws to make it smaller. (It's fabric on a frame, so quite light.) But I should think it would be okay to strap the flatbed on the deck and stow the rest, if you wanted to take it along to have as a portage cart.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:52 am 
Quote:
i am planning to buy a "carry freedom" bike trailer

Me too! Nice to see this thread. I've been thinking about a Carry Freedom trailer for months and have just bought a mountain bike. There is a picture of the Y-frame with a kayak on it on the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Mary, your burley`s design is pretty similar to the carry freedom, how is it to tow a baged kayak? Any problems in sharp turns?

I have also checked out other trailers, most of them have one wheel, but the two wheel system seems to work way better for hauling folding kayaks.

Rod, i have uploaded some photos from the www, looks pretty much like a folding kayak in its bag to me.

What du you guys think? :P

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:04 pm 

My idea about a cart that would allow a kayak to be towed from the rudder yoke pin (Klepper or LH -Sorry, I think some other arrangement would need to be made for other yoke styles): Anyway, with a slight adaptation to a stock bicycle rack, -some sort of extention to mount to the rack, that would mate to where the rudder would normally fit.
Place the cart to the back 1/4 part of the kayak and violá. SMV signage would probably be recommended :?

I think a lighter cart than pictured could be used and perhaps with removable or smaller wheels, to allow for on board stowage. :?

What do you think?

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:45 am 
Yep, Will. Could be a folder in the bag.

I think this is a hardshell (in the CarryFreedom bamboo section):

http://www.carryfreedom.com/bamboo.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:04 am 
Here is an option from the paddlecart folks, for those towing assembled boats. I use the regular version, and find it pretty bomb-proof.

http://www.paddlecart.com/biketrailer.htm

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:40 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

westcoastwill wrote:
Hi Mary, your burley`s design is pretty similar to the carry freedom, how is it to tow a baged kayak? Any problems in sharp turns?

It's best not to corner hard/fast, as you could overturn the trailer, although I've never done it. Just corner at a moderate speed, and go a bit wider than normal, because the trailer will corner tighter than the bike.

On a level road, I feel the trailer weight a little when starting off, but once moving, I don't know it's there (I keep checking my mirror to be sure!). Uphill, I know I'm pulling a load. Downhill, the load can start pushing me, so again I keep the speed moderate - say, not over 15mph with the trailer.

The Burley trailer is rated to carry a 60lb load, and it is so easy, it really adds to what you can do with a bike. The hitch clamps on to the angle of the bike frame at the back wheel, where the backstay and chainstay meet. It comes off completely when you're not towing - you don't need anything permanent on the bike. I really like the Burley.

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:10 pm 
faltbootemeister

It is here!

Finnaly just befor New Years Eve, i ordered a large Carry Freedom bike trailer, it is still in its box and i will post more photos after the first assembly!

:wink:

servus

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:00 pm 
I'll be interested to read your comments on the Carry Freedom trailer, Willi. And I've noted that the Paddle Cart recommended earlier in this thread does not ship (oh, dear ... as usual ... it always seems to be easier to buy what you need if you live on the other side of the Atlantic) internationally.

Fingers crossed the CF is the works!

Rods

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:00 pm 
faltbootemeister

Finnaly, i went out for the first time with the new bike trailer.

Assembling of the parts was very easy, everything is extremly well designed and build.

I strapped the Feathercraft Kahuna on the trailer, had to put an old precut campingpad between the bag and the trailerboard.

the board has a non slip surface, like sandpaper and they recommend in the instructions to cover that surface if you are not hauling expedition boxes, soft bags will get wears.

on flat road, i hardley noticed that i was hauling the trailer, but as soon as i did hit the hills (there where plenty on the way to the lake) i had to shift down on the first gear, but after all, i was hauling a 30 kilo load.

left had turns where no problem at all, i just had to be carfull on right hand turns, the rear wheel would meet the towing arm, but i was riding on a 28"" bike, on a 26"" mountainbike this would not happen.

Ready to go: The kayak and all the equipment is on the backpack, waterbottles and some threads are in the deckbag.

In the hills between Wallerlake and Irrlake.

I am getting there!

On the lake,

Half an hour later: on the water.

Back home, i could not get the trailer off the bike. as it turned out, on the way uphill, the hitchcup (attached to the quickrelease of the rear wheel) had shifted to a allmost vertical position, thus allowing the trailer to move the hitch a little on downhill rides.

as result, the hitchcup got bended, and it was impossible to get the trailer off the bike. usually, you just take out the safety pin and slide the hitchbolt out of its cup, i had to take the screws off the bolt and disconnect it that way.

The trailer came with a set of 3 hitchcups, i can easy replace the damaged one, the quickrealease needs to be really tight, so the cup can not move.

Here are some photos, the left cup is unused, the right got bended, but the trailed was still connected bombproof.

However, i called the german distributor and they offered a brand new Weber hitch, with lock and kickstand at a 30% discount, needless to say, that i ordered that thing.

Will post again after the new hith has arrived!

servus,

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 6:56 pm 
Sneak preview of my latest adventure.

I'm especially interested in how your hitch may work out. The kayak cart I recently purchased is just that, a kayak cart but I still think it could be easily adapted to a bicycle cart if I found some way to attach a hitch to the kayak rudder yoke. As it is I managed to attach a looped line with a carabiner to the rudder yoke that allowed me to tow my kayak along quite comfortably, despite 150 to 200 kilos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

OK Andreas:

The new hitch has arrived, it is a weber "E" kupplung, made in germany, they sent the lightweight model without the kickstand.

I have installed the thing to my bike and trailer today, i must say, this is way better as the original hitch from the factory.

The main problem there was, that the hook got pulled into a vertical position, thus allwowing the hitch to start moving on the towing arm, as result, the hook got bended so bad, that it was next to impossible to take the trailer off the bike.

With the new setup, this is not going to happen anymore: weber provides a set of washer with a nose that fits exactley into the bikes frame and prevents the new hitch from moving around.

The hitch connects with a bayonett to the towingarm, it even has a lock.

If i can get now a longer towingarm, i can get my big tandem kayak on the road without fooling around at the rudder yoke!

This are the new and old hitches:

The old hitch hook:

The new hitch with optional washers:

This one fits perfect!

Ready to go:

Trailer added:

The trailer with new towingarm and hitch:

Someday i am going to tow that kayak:

servus,

Willi