Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 pm 
forum fanatic

I'm looking for a folder or inflatable for an extended trip to French Polynesia this coming July. Most interesting options for me are the Pakboat Quest 150, Pakboat Puffins, or Sea Eagle Razor-Light. I'm also considering an inflatable SUP. Packed weight must be under 38 pounds. If you have a boat you'd like to sell, or know of one, please contact me. I'm in London, Canada, and will consider driving several hours south for pickup.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:53 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have an older Pakboat Puffin Swift 14, which is their model that was the transition from the standard Puffins to the Quests, that I may have for sale soon. It's in mint condition EXCEPT for having defective removable sponson tubes (bad lot of fabric that Pakboat experienced one year -- this particular boat's owner missed the company's recall and replacement). I've ordered materials and valves to make new sponson tubes for it -- hoping to have this done by the end of April (too many projects right now.)

The Swift is 14' long and 27 pounds total. I bought two from the couple that owned them and plan to keep one for myself once the new sponsons are made up. Once I have the Swift 14 functional, I may also sell my older 12' Puffin solo which is only 24 pounds. I hauled it to the UK last year with all gear and accessories and clothing for paddling in one 46 pound "free baggage" sized rolling duffel. You will need far less dry wear than I did for your destination, so an even smaller bag would be possible.

I can let you know when I've renovated the Swift and been able to "sea trial" it on one of my local rivers to assure the new tubes are trustworthy. Price will be modest for either it or the 12' Puffin. Can't say exactly now since I am not sure I have spent all the money I need to on materials for the full restorations. But probably around $600 to $700.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:28 am 
forum fanatic

Hello Kerry,

Our Tahiti plans are moving along. Ease of boat assembly/disassembly between outings are issues for us. Waterfront access and safe (on the waterfront) boat storage are possibly problematic. We'll have use of a car while we're there. I read one of your posts about your UK trip where you packed along a portable inflatable roof rack. Did you like that system?

Thanks for your detailed reply. I'll keep your boat(s) in mind as possible options.

Martin