Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:56 pm 
recent arrival

Anyone have a Kiawah, Gremlin or Citibot they'd like to let go? I'm looking for a small folder that'll pack down to a size I can haul on a bike trailer. Doesn't have to be Folbot, that's just the line I'm most familiar with. Thanks.

Folbot Greenland II

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:16 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I have an older Pakboat Puffin solo kayak that is in excellent condition and has a newer deck, that I may be selling this Spring. It weighs around 22 pounds and is easy to set up.

The "may" part depends on how much I like another Pakboat folder (a Swift 14) that I bought last summer. I have to construct new sponsons for the Swift before I can try it out. It's a little longer and slightly more narrow than the Puffin -- I believe it weighs 24 pounds. So one or the other will be for sale once I have had a chance to test paddle the Swift.

If you haven't found something by then perhaps you would be interested in one of the boats? Here is a photo of the Puffin set up.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:07 am 
recent arrival

Kerry, yes, I am interested. I'd also be interested to know your reasons for picking one over the other.
I've been looking at Pakboat after reading about them in the forum and 2 of their current models, the new Puffin Saco and the Quest 150 look like they would meet my needs. Weight and pack size are fairly similar with these 2 models, but it sounds like the 150 would be the better performer. That being said, I'm wanting a boat that packs down as small as possible that will be used for pretty relaxed paddling, primarily on COE lakes, for cruising the shoreline, exploring coves, bird watching, etc. And while "performance" isn't a huge issue, I also don't want to end up with a dog to paddle either. Have you been happy with how the Puffin performs? Is it stable? I ask as I thought I saw something about stability issues in earlier models having to do with seat height / positioning?
Let me know how the Swift works out and what you decide to do. I appreciate you reaching out, thanks.

Folbot Greenland II

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:01 pm 
paddler

I have this 2010 Folbot Citibot with foot braces and nylon sprayskirt. I've reinforced the keel line with add-on Hypalon strips. She's perfect for lakes and lazy rivers. She has only been lightly used.

I bought her thinking she would be super lightweight and portable for carrying all over on the subway or bus here in the greater NYC area --- as compared to my G2. And she is that but unfortunately, because of her short length doesn't track well in the constant wind and often rough water we have on the Hudson, harbor and surrounding environs. I thought I'd hold on to her in hopes I could get my daughter to love her but alas...

$700 +shipping.

Current:
Folbot G2 expedition package and sail rig
Folbot Cooper
Folbot Citibot
Airis iSUP
C4 Waterman SUP

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Folbot Cooper (2013)
Airis iSUP
C4 Waterman V1/14 SUP

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:37 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Arktech: I apologize for having taken such a long while to get back to you. I got involved with buying and fixing up a rental property right after our exchange and it has tied up most of my time and energy for two months. Perhaps you've already found what you were seeking, but in case not I will respond to your earlier questions.

The stability issues that you may have heard about with Pakboat had to do not with Puffins but with early versions of the Quest models, where the sling seat was positioned too high -- that was corrected by the time they came out with the Quest 150 (and we were able to retrofit the Quest 135 that I have to adjust the seat properly). The Puffins have ALWAYS been very stable. The older Puffin that I have has about a 25" beam and a single sponson on each side, which makes it very stable. It has the older model of inflatable seat which is extremely comfortable and infinitely adjustable. The newer inflatable sling seat with the backband type back is also very comfortable -- my Quest 135 has that and so do the newer Puffins.

The 12' Puffin is quite a nicely performing little kayak and certainly very portable. There are several YouTube videos of people using them in various waters -- that can give you a good sense of how the boat performs. And it has always been the quickest and easiest to set up of any of the folders that I have owned.

I have not had time to finish making the new sponsons for the two Puffin Swifts that I picked up last year so I am way behind in figuring out which boat I will be selling. I hope to get started on the sponsons by this coming weekend so perhaps I'll have made a determination in a week or two. I'll try to post weekly updates of my progress.

By the way, did you notice there is a guy on this site who just posted a Folbot Cooper for sale for $350? He says the longerons are a little bent -- I bent a couple in my Feathercraft Wisper and was able to straighten them eventually by placing them in a vise, slipping a larger diameter length of steel conduit over them for leverage and gradually applying gentle but strong pressure. You might be able to do the same.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15