Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 am 
faltbootemeister

If you have a good usable hull for an Aerius II, I'd be interested. Mine's on its last legs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Have you talked to Mark at Long Haul? His interest lies with making you a new one, but it's possible he could help you out with something that's been reconditioned, or a second.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:05 pm 
faltbootemeister

No seconds now, but they do have some olive canvas deck material that they're going to be using to make some discounted hulls--a couple hundred less, I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

This is a long shot, but might be worth some research:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 1-211-3068

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

How long will these hulls last, anyway? Mine is from the mid 70s, I'm guessing--40 years old. Mostly its still OK, except for the seam and some minor delaminating (I guess it's minor) where it was folded. It's not worth spending a lot of money on, but at the same time it may not quite be time to throw it away. I'm asking because of course used boats come up now and then, 10, 15, 20 years old, with hulls in much better condition than mine. If I get a hull that will last 20 years, maybe that would be enough.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:18 pm 

I think a reasonable ballpark would be 20-30 years. Obviously you could destroy one in a single expedition. A very well cared-for example might last upwards of 35 years.

To be a little more detailed, the canvas decks could easily go more than 70 years (based on similar canvas items I own). It's the breakdown, delamination, etc., of the hull materials that is the limitation. (In the case of Kleppers, these were natural rubber on a cotton core from 1906 to the early 70s, then Hypalon since then.) That's why I feel that Malcolm Tierney's experiments (being recorded now in the repair section) are so important-- he is looking for ways of returning old hulls to service.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Agreeing with Chris. I don't know exactly when Klepper went to hypalon, but it makes a big difference. The old rubber hulls are much more friable and I would not go near one except as a collector piece. My A2 was a '69 and I believe it was hypalon and the hull, deck, and stitching were in perfect shape, except for a small tear that I was responsible for on a river rock. The boat spent its first 40 years on Long Island in deep salt water, go figure.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:05 pm 
faltbootemeister

My hull has some delamination in small spots where the boat was folded, along the keel line, and then some at the hull seam, where the cotton thread has deteriorated in places. Otherwise the Hypalon seems in surprisingly good condition. The deck canvas also seems in good shape, except where it folds over on the aft coaming piece--it's worn there. Otherwise the fabrics seem pretty sturdy after 40 years or more.
I'm pretty sure about this: I ever decide to buy a Long Haul hull, it will almost surely outlive me.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:03 pm 

The chances of buying a used decent hull is very remote as it is the hull that takes the wear. As what appears to have happened to the one you received with the boat it was most likly folded for years and they crack on the folds as it dries out in storage. These "cracks" are usually across the hul and down the centre at the bottom. I bought a klepper some years ago in the same condition and i patched it,outside and inside if there was a hole right through and also put keel strips on. Two side by side along the bottom then one in the centre. But of course without seeing your hull i can,t say if it is worth the expense to fix it. Personally if i were you i would take the plunge and buy a new one probably from Long Haul. Here is a photo of my patched hull.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:56 pm 
forum fan

overland wrote:
If you have a good usable hull for an Aerius II, I'd be interested. Mine's on its last legs.

Hello, contact me to : biuro@wayland.com.pl , I have some new or second choice or used hulls for Kleppers - we find something optimal for you. br Mariusz

Last edited by wayland on Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:29 pm 
Site Admin

Long Haul Folding kayaks often has a good selection of used hulls as well as their new custom hulls. They can also sew a brand new hull to a deck in good condition, which is roughly half the pace of buying the entire skin. I had them do this on a Klepper Master I owned.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:11 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'd also consider buying a hull with a ruined deck. I have a deck that's in pretty good shape.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:14 am 

Take care, from my experience it,s the hulls that wear the most and also deteriate most in storage, even if it,s dry. The decks on earlier Kleppers often have "sewing damage" as there was a sewn seam on the side which could rub on decks and rocks. Unless you can examine a used boat you could just buy other peoples rubbish. Generally some thing bought from a genuine folding kayaker would be ok. These people who don,t know anything about the folder they are selling might have picked it up at a garage or clearance sale and show only photos of the good parts. If the seller dosn,t want to give sufficient photos, there,s a reason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:26 pm 
faltbootemeister

Interesting. Mark at Longhaul told me the opposite, that the decks usually go first. From pictures he didn't deem my deck worth saving, but think it's still pretty good--no holes or apparent weakness, though some discoloring. I'll at least try to clean it and see better what I've got. It might be hard to buy just a hull, though.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:43 pm 

I have been down numerous rivers in Ontario and all had shallow sections and rocks so hulls get scrapes and gouges. The one used Klepper i bought had been stored in a dry garage for years and on all it,s folds, down the keel line and across where it had been folded were dry and cracked, the deck was ok and still is, so to me it seems that the hull takes more wear than the deck. Now maybe if the kayak is stored in the sun assembled for long periods of time perhaps the deck suffers most. I don,t know.