Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feathercraft Klondike
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:11 pm 
paddler

Wanted, Feathercraft Klondike prefer 2006 or newer with as many options as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:30 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I always liked the look of the Klondike a lot, but there are very, very few out there. Perhaps Fujita's double or a Pakboat XT-17 would work for you.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:38 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I agree with Chris, these are rare. But I will go further, I owned one for a few years and sold it to buy a Klepper Quattro. The Klondike is a great boat, no doubt. But it is a real chore to assemble, and the newer version with built in combing is not that much easier to put together. And it is really heavy.
That said, there are a couple in the "for sale" section here:
http://www.foldingkayak.com/used.htm
One is listed by gregn who is a member of this forum, although I have not seen him post for a while.

Good luck,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:53 pm 
paddler

You would say it weighs more than a Klepper Quattro? I have a Greenland II now and am planning a Alaska trip later in the fall. I just do not completely trust my older Folbot on a 10 day adventure in the ocean even though it has been a good boat for me on calmer, shorter, freshwater adventures. Any feed back is appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:10 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

The stock Klepper Quattro and the Feathercraft Klondike are within a pound of each other in terms of dry weight, unless you are talking about the Klepper carbon with TPU which is 15 pounds or so lighter than the Feathercraft. The volume of the Klepper is slightly higher but not really a deciding factor, but it is just a bit longer and wider and, with the rear hatch, easier to load. These are both very expensive and rare...pick your poison!

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:27 pm 
paddler

Since my understanding is Klepper is being built by Wayland now, I believe if I go the wood framed boat route I would be more interested in the Longhaul boats. Why did you decide on a four sponson boat (Quattro) vs. not. Do you use them to adjust the hull shape and if so does it make a significant difference?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:31 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I would lean toward LongHaul as well, they make a great kayak and their service is remarkable. I went with the Quattro because I wanted the biggest and toughest expedition kayak I could buy, and I opted for the carbon frame to reduce the dry weight. OK, maybe also because I thought it was cool :lol: I have used it several times on long, unsupported trips where I really did need complete reliability and safety, and I have never had a problem and am really happy with it...it will no doubt last longer than I do. As for the sponsons I found, by trial and error, that the kayak is much more stable under sail with all four sponsons fully inflated. Interestingly, Klepper claims that "Four air sponsons offer increased buoyancy for greater loads and a variable hull shape". I don't believe the first claim. The sponsons have nothing to do with buoyancy unless the boat is full of water.

That's my $.02.
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

I would absolutely go with Long Haul. Better hardware, and better construction. As for the Quattro models, there's probably no need for the extra sponsons unless you're doing military operations carrying several hundreds pounds of weapons. I added a pair of extra sponsons to my AII and never really used them.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:59 am 
paddler

Those recommendations were worth at least a dollar? :P Thanks for the seasoned advice now I need to convince my wife....