Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:00 pm 
forum fan

Have been looking very hard for a strap on skeg for my Klepper 2000. I know Feathercraft made a good one. Please contact me if you can spare yours. Will make it worth your while.
Jeff at 919-414-4350

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:06 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Feathercraft owner, Doug Simpson, has said that he will open a basic parts supply store this year though there has been no word lately on whether that will actually happen. Anyway, if it does, you will likely be able to purchase a strap on skeg from them. And, if not, you might be able to improvise with a home-made lash up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:39 pm 
forum fan

Thanks, Yes I've seen that posted on their website but I have little faith. It was all I could do to get him to respond to my emails -- even though I've been one of their best customers for the last 15-20 years. Seems like they could have tried to warn people a little -- so they could get whatever parts they needed before they closed. The idea of fabricating one of course is always a logical option. Actually creating it is another thing all together though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:50 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Look on amazon.com, . ca, or .co.uk depending where you are. They have skegs that could be strapped on. Quite cheap, I don,t know the quality or if they are what you want.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:00 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

You might try Alv at Pakboat. I think they have attachable skegs for their kayaks that might be adapted to Feathercraft boats. I'm beginning to doubt that we'll see Feathercraft start up their promised parts supply operation any time soon if at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am 
forum fan

Thanks -- that's a good idea. I also found one made for Aire inflatable kayaks -- which are quality boats. It's all aluminum, and I think it can be fitted with a strap system. Ya, I would not put much faith in Feathercraft either.
Beside, I've now converted to almost all Long Haul folding kayaks. Mark makes truly the finest folding boats I've even seen; plus he is ethically impeccable. He's even making a new lightweight hull that is fantastic. Beautiful craftsmanship -- very upgraded Kleppers -- you could say.