Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:31 pm 
paddler

I've got a 2005 Puffin and am wondering if anyone wants to part with a spray skirt? Either I have lousy paddling technique or it's just the way it is with this boat, but I get pretty damp from the waist down everytime I take the boat out. I assume that to fit properly I'm better off going with a Pakboat brand skirt, but was also wondering if anyone was successfully using another after-market brand?
I'm also looking for a decent 4-piece paddle, 230 cm, preferably with a carbon shaft, for mostly lake paddling. Thanks.

Folbot Greenland II
Pakboat Puffin 12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I've got a Cannon 4-piece carbon Wave model paddle which I like. Airkayaks sells most of the Cannon models and often has good deals on factory seconds (they work fine, just have some cosmetic blemishes -- mine was one of the seconds.) Right now it looks like they have some good prices on fiberglass models like that your might want to check out:

https://www.airkayaks.com/categories/Cannon-Paddles/

One thing useful that I discovered about the Cannon 4-piece paddles is that you can remove one of the two middle sections and use it as a shorter 3-piece. I was using that paddle on a river in the UK two years ago where we came to some small rapids as well as some narrow sections with a lot of willow branches hanging down over our path. I kept getting the 230 cm paddle caught on the branches or in mud, rocks and weeds in the shallows. So I paused and removed that shaft section, shortening the paddle to around 190 cm, which proved perfect for negotiating the tight spots on that winding stream.

I mostly use Greenland paddles, but have found the Cannon is a handy and easy to carry spare that I can switch off to for different conditions or want to use different muscles.

As to your spray skirt dilemma, I have a 2004 Puffin and may have a Harmony nylon skirt that I used to use on it that I would be willing to pass along. I also bought a couple of used 2007 Pakboat Swifts (a related model) and it may be that the Pakboat skirts that came with them may fit a Puffin too. Right now the Puffin is packed in its cozy winter duffel bag but I could take out the deck and coaming and check it against the Swift skirts. I've been trying to cut back my stash of extra gear so we may be able to help each other out.

Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:04 pm 
paddler

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Kerry.
I'm interested in one of the Swift skirts if you determine that they'll fit or the Harmony if you're wanting to part with it. Let me know what works for you. I know about paring stuff down, good luck with that.
Thanks also for rhe paddle lead, I'll check them out.

Folbot Greenland II
Pakboat Puffin 12