Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
We are looking to put on an FK meeting around Saltspring Island. So far Willie, Gregn and I are the organizing committee. Those wishing to be adventurous may meet me in Roche Harbor on the US side on the 20th of May (Approx) to paddle across. There is a shuttle from the Ferry landing in Friday Harbor, or if the turn out isn't too big, I can arrange to meet you. Shuttles and commuter flights can be had from Seatac. The ferry can also take you straight on to Victoria where you can arrange to meet with Willie on the Canadian side.
Passports will be required for all of us crossing from the US!

Those interested can contact me or Westcoastwillie.

I may be designing t-shirts to commemorate the event. :?

-Andreas

Last edited by Kapitän von Klepper on Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

Andreas, thank you very much for the post!

I am booked on Lufthansa and will arrive in Vancouver on May 17th, Greg and me will meet on May 19th and we can pick up anybody who comes with flights, ferries or on own keel.

We will start from Sidney and paddle to Portland Island for the first camp.

The plan is to circumnavigate Saltspring Island and be back on May 26th the latest.

After Saltspring, Greg and me will head out to Barkley Sound to visit the Broken and Deer Group.

We hope to gather a nice gang of paddlers from foldingkayaks.org and westcoastpaddler.com.

Just 2 months to go!

:wink:

Willi

2002 Seaward Gemini Tandem
2005 Feathercraft Big Kahuna
2006 Feathercraft K1
2010 Feathercraft Wisper XP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:36 am 
westcoastwill wrote:
Less than two months to go! Gregn has worked out a great plan:

Saltspring Island circumnavigation trip
May 20 (Tuesday) to May 26 (Monday)

Tuesday Sidney (Amhurst Avenue) to Portland Island (Arbutus Point). Leave at 11:00. 13 km.

Wednesday Portland Island to Prevost Island (James Bay). Leave at 12:00. 15 km.

Thursday Prevost Island to Wallace Island (Chivers Point) via Montague Harbour and Ballingall Islets. Leave at 12:00. 22 km.

Friday, Saturday Side trips to Telegraph Harbour, Tent Island, or other locations.

Sunday Wallace Island to Musgrave Island (unimproved camping). Leave at 09:00. 29 km – mostly with strong tide.

Monday Musgrave Island Sidney (Amhurst Avenue). Leave at 10:00. 18 km.

Notes:

a/ We can start from Swartz Bay Govmt dock and shorten the Tuesday leg to 10 km, but we’ll miss some of the most beautiful shorelines in the area. Also launching in the Swartz Bay at low tide is not the most pleasant experience – rocks covered with sea weeds.

b/ Instead of camping on Prevost Island, we can paddle to Montague Harbour and camp there at the Marine Park. Wednesday leg will be lenghtened to 21 km, but Thursday leg will be shortened to 16 km, giving us more time for bird and cliff watching along the west shores of Galiano Island.

c/ Monday leg can be shortened to 8 km by terminating the trip at Moses Point (N/W Saanich Peninsula). Alternatively, it can be shortened to 15 km by terminating the trip at Swartz Bay.

Willi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 2:21 am 
If I actually paddle across, I (and anyone coming with me) can probably meet you at James Bay on Wednesday, after clearing customs & immigration on Tues on North Pender Island.

I'm still trying to see how much time off from work I can expect to get at this partly busy time of the year.

Willie, will you or Gregn have VHF or mobs in case I have to hook up with you in route on the week end?
Other possibly interested parties: If there aren't more than 3 or 4 others BTW (FK only!!!), and you're willing to help with Ferry charges, I have room to drive across. and meet somewhere around Saltspring Is.

I still don't have any takers for paddling across. (Ye Bums!!!) :wink: Area map, Canadian and Washington Channel Islands

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

Andreas, yes we have VHF radios, Greg has a cell phone too.

maybe the best way to cross the border would be to take the ferry to Sindey.

just 6 weeks to go, yippiyee :D

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:22 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Man, I am so envious. Let's make something like this an annual thing shall we?

I am in Costa Rica then. I hope to meet K7Baixo and hopefully other folders in Alabama in June.

Do consider a t-shirt or an FKO flag? I'll help support the endeavor if you do. :P

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:20 pm 
faltbootemeister

It is an annual event allready, started last July for the first time, Gregn and a bunch of hardshell westcoastpaddlers showed up, we had a great time!

5 weeks to go, time for serious planning, everybody!

Andreas, any news about t-shirts and open crossings?

servus

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:33 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Ok, I obtained a fishing licence for local waters, as we'll need some food on the table during the expeditions. Finding a legal advice on interpreting the regulations is another story. Some recommend on phoning dept. of fishing, but all I get is: press 1 for this, press 2 for that, and so on. I think I'll go local with fishing.

Other than that, everything is ready. On Thursday I'm going for a few days to Bedwell Harbour for equipment testing. It suppose to snow on Saturday, which is good. Statistically, we should then have better weather in May.

Andreas, get your act together, but we do not want too big a crowd coming with you, as camping spaces can be limited here, especially in May. On the other hand, we can always stage the trip. Names starting with A to N will take off first, with the rest of the crowd following the next day, or something like that.

Last Saturday I paddled to one of proposed camping spots located near Musgrave Landing. What a beautiful and well sheltered bay full of oysters! We may stay there extra day to put on some weight on local seafood, but also we do not want to be too hungry looking once back home.

See you all in five weeks.

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:26 pm 
Oy, Greg, we'll have to establish a Haro Strait chapter of FKO. We can call it The Haro Strait Puddle Pirates. :wink:

One of these clear nights I'll point my car toward Victoria on my drive home and flash my high beams three times to see if you can see me (joking).

Snow on Sat. "Wud up wid dat?" I heard the same thing. But you guys on that side of the puddle seem to get a wee bit more weather. My house is in some sort of rain shadow from the Olympics and I swear I have the driest weather in the entire area, (except for the horizontal salt spray :roll: ) A few weeks ago I started riding my bike to work in clear weather only to find it was snowing in FH.

I'm sure at this point I'm going to have to plan for a long weekend and hook up with you guys in route. We can collaborate on food items etc.

Do your Provincial Parks allow open fires like our State Parks do?
We can burn drift wood, etc, but nothing can be taken off of a tree. It follows that after a while on some of these island parks the only burnable wood gets a bit unwieldy. I have a midsize ax I can bring and I can find a bow saw. (I want to invent a bow saw that will disassemble and fit into a tube for kayak camping in these parts.)

I'll try to finish up the T-shirt ideas this weekend. Speaking of FKO pennant, I think mje is working on one. I haven't had any official endorsement for the T-shirt, but I'm tempted to put a plain white pennant with black FKO on the bow of Tintin's kayak in the illustration.

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:19 pm 
faltbootemeister

Ahoi, Andreas!

Greg can not see you tonite, he and huge crowd of westcoastpaddlers are camping at Beaufort Park on Pender Island for the weekend, but the idea is great!

We will work out a trip plan for a long weekend for you, that allows us to paddle together.

No open fires on the canadian side of Hero Strait allowed:x

we will bring our Trangia stoves.

more later

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:42 pm 
I hope Greg is keeping warm! We had snowflakes the size of pennies last night in FH!

Tentative Plan:
I can catch the 9:30 ferry to Sydney on Friday, drive up onto Salt Spring Island and Paddle across to Chivers Island or arrange to meet with you on one of your side trips.

Then I can paddle with you all the way back Amherst Ave. I'll need to find someway to retrieve my car on Salt Spring Is...

Tues. I'll need to be on the 11:45 Ferry back.

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Just checked the weather on the www, it seems westcoastpaddler picked the worst weather for their get-together on Pender!

no need for 8)

Andreas, the plan sounds good, maybe you can leave your car in Swarz Bay and walk your kayak on the Saltspring ferry? You could go with a Taxi to our meeting place and have no worries about the car.

lets check with Greg when he comes back from his weekend trip.

servus

:P

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:55 am 

OK here is my preliminary sketch for a t-shirt design. If interest is forthcoming I will proceed to the next step. (Finish design and arrange for a printer.)

Comments and suggestions about the design are welcome.

-Andreas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:15 pm 
faltbootemeister

Great sketch, Andreas, would make a great album cover for TinTins latest adventure!

Willi

2006 Feathercraft K1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:14 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

westcoastwill wrote:
Just checked the weather on the www, it seems westcoastpaddler picked the worst weather for their get-together on Pender!

Willi, it was not that bad. Here we are sprinting back to the campground after a few pints in Browning Harbour pub. See that glossy sea?

Klondike, Nimbus Telkwa