Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Techniques forum
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:18 pm 
Would it be sensible to have a 'Techniques' forum? Under folding kayak there is the following:

What boat for me?
General folding kayak questions
Suggestion Box
The Coffeehouse
Deals found
Paddle Partners

A 'Techniques' forum could nicely sort things between discussing the merits/demerits of the hardware, and how to actually use said hardware more effectively.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:30 am 
Site Admin

Good idea. I'll put that in or something like it.

Post subject: Re: Techniques forum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:16 pm 
DevNull wrote:
Under folding kayak there is the following:

What boat for me?
General folding kayak questions
Suggestion Box
The Coffeehouse
Deals found
Paddle Partners

A 'Techniques' forum could nicely sort things between discussing the merits/demerits of the hardware, and how to actually use said hardware more effectively.

Yes, but in the Kayaks group there are subsections for each kayak brand (plus Other Boats, plus "What Boat for Me" in General section). Also, in the Accessories section there are subsections for "Paddles", "Camping gear" etc. When people are asking about stoves or sails or paddles in the relevant subsectin, they discuss and compare that hardware as much as they can, - both the merits/demerits of the actual item and all imaginable ways and techniques of using it.

Post subject: Re: Techniques forum
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:52 pm 
Alm wrote:
Under folding kayak there is the following:

Yes, but in the Kayaks group there are subsections for each kayak brand (plus Other Boats, plus "What Boat for Me" in General section). Also, in the Accessories section there are subsections for "Paddles", "Camping gear" etc. When people are asking about stoves or sails or paddles in the relevant subsectin, they discuss and compare that hardware as much as they can, - both the merits/demerits of the actual item and all imaginable ways and techniques of using it.

I agree. Every time you discuss equipment, you end up touching on technique, every time you discuss technique, you are drawn toward the equipment.

The way I see it, is a matter of intent. If you are shopping for a new paddle it is an equipment question, even if the discussion runs around how easy or hard is to do x, y, and z (techniques) with brand X. If you want to know how to best steer the kayak with a paddle, it is a technique question, even if the discussion becomes about how easy is to do this or that with a particular paddle.

As a newbie I have a lot of questions as to 'how' to do something.