Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Posting a review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:29 am 
G'day...... Great site btw! 8) I'm new to the site and I'm looing forward to diving in more in the future. I looked up the list of Kayak dealers and I'm surprised that TRAK Kayak is not there! My wife and I purchased 2 of these about 3 years ago and love them! We've done several multi-day trips in them ie. Queen Charlottes as well as white water. I think the readers would appreciate hearing more about them. If you would like me to write a review on the boat, I would be happy to do that. The boat's site is http://www.rethinkkayak.com.

Let me know if you would want this and if so, how to submit a review

Cheers,

Keith

Post subject: Re: Posting a review
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:58 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hello and welcome.

I (and no doubt others) would be very interested to read your opinions of the Trak kayak. Could you not post your review here and the moderators could then move it to a new section if and when they make one? (And in the meantime the rest of us could benefit from your firsthand experience.)

The boat looks like an interesting concept. The marketing certainly looks slick. In fact, so slick, that I'd much rather have your opinion of the boat! ;-) Do you find you use the adjustable rocker and lateral curvature hydraulics, or is that just marketing finding an extra use for something that tensions the skin? How well does it work? I'm very curious.

Also I couldn't see any stats on weight or dimensions of the packed boat. It certainly looks sleek though. :-)

Looking forward to reading your review.
Ian

Post subject: PS
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:04 am 

PS How do they live up to their 'ten minute setup' claim? It takes me a good 20 to 30 minutes to set up my Klepper and get out on the water. (Maybe 20 mins building and another ten faffing with loading the boat and putting it in the water.) I've seen a video of a factory technician building one in 4 and a half minutes, which shows that that time is possible in a record-setting attempt, but it wouldn't be a realistic figure for marketing purposes.

Is the construction radically different to allow that ten minute claim? Or are their marketing department just a little less judicious with their use of figures?

Thanks. Looking forward to reading about your experience with the boat. :-)
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:43 am 
I second Ian's motion for a review!

There's been considerable discussion of Trak kayaks here before, but you're the first actual owner to come by. So go ahead and fly the flag - I'm very curious about these boats.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:30 pm 
Site Admin

Feel free to email a review to me at mje@spamcop.net, and I'll put it ion the main web site pages.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:06 pm 
Hey Michael.... sounds good. I'm leaving shortly to go paddle islands around Santa Clara Cuba so if I don't have time before I go, I'll write a review when I get back.

A quick reply to Ian....... 10 mins is a very realistic time to assemble the boat. Add additional time for loading the boat with whatever gear your taking. The hydraulic jacks are not a gimmick, I often change the shape of the boat to reflect the water I'm in and the performance I want. I've bought an extra set from TRAK now just incase of failure of a jack which did happen on a 10 day trip in the Queen Charlottes in 2007. Dimensions I'll include in the review.

Happy paddling :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:41 am 
faltbootemeister

The shortest time I've read so far was for a Seavivor model.
This was recorded a number of years ago as a segment on a television show here in the States .

The Seavivor website http://www.seavivorusa.com/fittings1.html states :
Quote:
Assembly time requires an average of fifteen minutes for most owners, but can be done in as little as three and one half minutes, as demonstrated on Will Shriner's nationally broadcast television program, "Why Didn't I Think of That?"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:51 pm 
I, too, would like very much to read your review and have some photos to look at showing the boat in various stages of assembly, showing the pistons, showing wear to the hull after use, and so forth. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:40 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Please post a review. Is the company even still viable?

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:39 pm 

Thanks for your quick reply, Keith. I hope your Cuba trip goes (has gone) well. Looking forward to your review.
Cheers,
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:35 am 
Thanks! It would be great to read your experiences, particularly on long-term usage (the hydraulic system - how does it work in salty water?), tear and wear and the quality in general (apart from the hydraulics I am quite anxious about the rear zipper).
I am right about to buy my first folder (I've been using inflatables so far) and this might be it, however, Traks are just slightly cheaper than FC Wisper and in the latter case I can be 99.99% positive that the quality and durability will be outstanding and nothing will be wrong with the boat. In my opinion you pay once and the quality remains. Not to mention, FCs are much lighter.

I can't understand why everybody is so excited about setting up a boat in under 10 minutes. If you go paddling for a few hours does it really make such difference whether it takes 10 or 15 minutes more to put a kayak on water?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:47 pm 
Quote:
If you go paddling for a few hours does it really make such difference whether it takes 10 or 15 minutes more to put a kayak on water?

Yes, it does. Because assembling work is all kneeling, squatting and bending over, exercise neither pleasant nor healthy. At 15 minutes (if not much muscle efforts are involved) it is worth doing for a short daytrip (no lunch stop), at 20 minutes - for a long daytrip, and at 25-30 minutes it may not be worth assembling it for something less than overnight trip.

And it always takes 10-20 minutes longer to put a kayak on water (counting from the opened trunk of the car) than the actual assembling time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:48 am 
It sounds like living under a huge time pressure. Maybe it's only me, but leaving home 10-15 minutes earlier doesn't seem to be a problem whatsoever (or finishing the trip slightly later). I don't wear a watch anyway :) and I'm rather carefree.
Squatting and bending, hmmm, I've seen Feathercraft's assembly instructions and the work doesn't seem to require super fitness either, in fact, the chap in their Kahuna film managed to complete the whole set up in 20 minutes and he seemed to be very relaxed. I don't have this boat myself, so can't really tell and perhaps it's only me again - I am 28 and I find 20 minutes of light manual work of squatting and kneeling (bending is never good, regardless the age!) unnoticeable. I would be more concerned about lifting a heavier kayak when necessary (and how easy it is to unload the gear first). My experience teaches me that sometimes it is very crucial. Also some domestic, European airlines have 15kg weight limits and every extra kg is expensive (and again, I fly with my current boat regularly).
But I think the highest priority is reliability. When I paddle in remote places in Scotland (not to mention, I am planning a trip to Iceland this summer) I must be positive that the boat doesn't fail in the middle of the highlands.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:34 pm 
Assembling is not about time pressure - it's about uncomfortable labour. You will see when you try. (Though time, including packing bags for the trip, loading the car, assembling the boat and taking it to water - can be quite substantial and with added time of post-trip chores it may discourage people from doing it for a short trip).

FC assembling video does indeed have a duration about 20 minutes on the table, and it takes longer in reality (average 30 minutes Kahuna and 50 for K1). Times that I mentioned in the previous post, meant average, typical time for a particular user. For example, it is possible to assemble FC Kahuna in 15 minutes. I can assemble Kahuna in 22-25 min with some luck and a bit of sweating. Still, my normal, typical time is 30-35 minutes with rudder, and therefore, for me Kahuna is 30-35 minutes boat - not 15-minutes boat. Similarly, Klepper can be assembled in 4 minutes (there was some video documenting such a record), but it is normally 20 minutes boat.

I have never had problems with lifting my boats - even 90 lbs one when I had it, because even 45 lbs one is too heavy already to lift and carry it, unless in dire trouble. Almost all of them need some cart to transport them to and from water.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 pm 
PS: don't know what happened to the "Edit" button - it's disappeared from my browser screen. Few things I wanted to add - though most of it has been mentioned in the last 4 years of discussing this boat (since 2006, I think viewtopic.php?f=14&t=626 ). Some videos have disappeared since then.

Yes, Trak is heavier than Kahuna - 62 lbs packed vs 50 lbs Kahuna packed. Another my worry is the rigid "golf bag" of the Track - it must be a pain loading it under deck, and if so, then I foresee a big problem with flying to wilderness trips where people have to carry empty bag in the boat. This will also be a problem for local paddlers using public transportation, rather than a car.

The comment on difficult loading of gear is valid too. No hatches (though there is a rear zipper) - in a long and narrow kayak this makes loading difficult. Considering pains of loading boats with hatches like FC Kahuna or Wisper in 7-8 day trip, - Trak doesn't seem to have an edge as a multiday boat.

Again, - most of this has been mentioned more than 3 years ago. I merely revisited the subject.