Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Is anybody else having this problem?

I check this site pretty much daily. I don't look at every section, I just click "View New Posts." Twice recently I've found a topic of interest to me, where I missed the first post entirely, and only saw it when another post had been made.

In one example, I replied to a thread on the 17th September. There's an answer to that dated 22nd, which I didn't see. Another answer was added on the evening of the 25th (British time) and now it's the morning of the 26th and it showed up on my "new posts" list, although the message from the 22nd never did.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

I can't say for sure, but I do not think I have experienced this. Sometimes in the distant past, I have "missed" a new post when it fell after a page break and I did not explicitly check at the bottom of a page to see if there were others after the one I had just read (which was also new).

Keep us informed if you see it again.

And, thanks for mentioning this.

Folbot Kodiak, Cooper, and Edisto; three hardshells; Mothership: Surf Scoter the Bartender; dinghy Little Blue Duck.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:58 pm 
faltbootemeister

Mary -

I follow very much the same pattern and apparently have experienced the same thing.

I, too, have had to backtrack to previous posts to pick up the thread flow because the update appears to skip one or more intervening posts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:21 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Same here, but it just started "glitching" about a week or so ago,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:53 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm glad it's not just me. It must be a bit disheartening to new members when their first post gets ignored for days.

I've noticed recently that posts aren't allowed to be more than 2,000 characters long, and I think that's new restriction. Looks like the forum hosting system has had some revisions.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:52 pm 
I can confirm that my very first 2 posts on this site took days before they appeared in public. Had assumed that I had to be 'checked out' by the moderators first and did feel disheartened that the site appeared not to be monitored frequently.

Now that a possible gitch has been mentioned, it all makes sense. Since then, I have had quick responses from MaryinOxford and my faith in this site restored :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:54 pm 
Site Admin

Here's what's going on: I've instituted a system where new members have their first posting moderated- I (or one of the other moderators) have to approve it. I was a it behind in my moderation for reasons unimportant to this discussion, but I'll try to speed it up. I did reduce the number of postings needed before someone can post without moderation, which will also help.

On the plus side, this has been a tremendous* help in catching spammers before they post, and that has really cut my work load. You'd be amazed how much time goes into keeping this thing running.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:13 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks for the update, Mike. Considering the number of spammers that find this site, I can see that anything to help stop them will be useful. Is there any system that would send an auto e-mail to new members telling them that there might be a delay in getting posted? Or would that result in sending mails to the spammers, therefore telling them they'd hit a valid site?

Simon, did you pick up the personal message I sent? (Local south-of-England info irrelevant to most people on the forum.)

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 pm 
Site Admin

I think you've identified what could be a problem with that approach, Mary. BTW, you should get some sort of award for being the board #1 Spammer Catcher of 2010 ;-)