Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I sign in, and try to reach it from every source I can find and always get this same message:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /gallery2/main.php on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

Not too many months ago Michael posted an explanation that the photo gallery had taken a 'hit', and took steps to restrict access. I appreciate Michael's conscientious governance.

In fact, Yahoo showed malware warnings when I Yahoo'd (not so much with Google) topics which showed FoldingKayaks.org-sourced photos during the time I had my former Virus Protection in place (Kaspersky).

I have new and different protection (Webroot) at present and it warns me in a more particular fashion, not showing directly in internet search results. Kaspersky would show the listing of my web searches with a red-letter warning under the link ... pretty cool. Unfortunately, FoldingKayaks.org Gallery photo entries were listed in that way (no such warning about any other FoldingKayaks.org content, so let me state that directly). This was consistent with Michael's warning and his subsequent quarantining of the gallery.

Last edited by kenton on Mon May 07, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:57 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hey Kenton, thanks but please forgive my ignorance... does that mean the site has been corrupted with a virus and viewing it could transfer that virus to your computer? So is the gallery gone forever? Lemme know.

I work on a Mac and ignorantly don't watch for viruses that much.

Thanks, D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:29 am 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Hey Kenton, thanks but please forgive my ignorance... does that mean the site has been corrupted with a virus and viewing it could transfer that virus to your computer? So is the gallery gone forever? Lemme know.

I work on a Mac and ignorantly don't watch for viruses that much.

Thanks, D

My household has now reluctantly moved to Windows 7. We are/were Mac people (this includes cousins and other family members as well). My wife and son still have and use Mac desktops; but have likewise now picked up Win7 Laptops because of school (indeed both are students). I moved to Win7 simply because my Mac was 'going' for a year and finally 'went' within a week of being laid-off. I needed to access the Internet to look for work cheaply and so picked-up a wimpy Win7 machine in July 2010.

That's the simple version of the back story...

As far as the site is concerned, Michael will have to relate the nuts-n-bolts of what happened, but content such as photos, video and graphics have been a welcome hiding place for malware over the years.

Macs are just now being targeted with malware. Took quite a long while for the crummy stuff to show up in any meaningful way, but it's here now. Obviously, it's not as bad as Windows with the Melissa or I Love You virii from 2001 .

I've re-thunk things and decided I'm going to move to Open Source for my computers in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

The site is clean of any viruses or other malware, but I need to rebuild the photo gallery, and it's going to take a tremendous amount of time and effort that I haven't been able to spare yet.