Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:46 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I am one of those strange people who find themselves drawn to old gear. Not just to collect, but also to use.
This mindset creates a number of challenges which test my skills, time and bank ballance. While usually initially much less expensive than the new item I should have bought, in the end I commit much more resources into keeping the old stuff operable and presentable. The pay-off is that I have and use something which not everyone else has and as a consequence of the above mentioned challenges I delve more deeply into the technical aspects of my gear. So I get more satisfaction than "merely" enjoying the use of an off the shelf product.
Downside is the real danger to have piles of "projects" and unfinished restauration masterpieces.

How does this possibly relate to folding kayaks?
A new category for vintage, out of production folders would be helpfull with maintenance and restauration issues which often are common to many old folders irrespective of manufacturer. So are operating "quirks", as for narrow sponson-less types etc. Lastly it would help/control in the management of collecting these things. Much of this is not always relevant or interesting to people with new or in current production kayaks.
For example, two of my singles (Klepper T67 and Pionier 450S) are clearly vintage kayak types and have much more incommon with each other than with current production boats such as a Klepper AE1. Plus it is a bit more relevant to share and discuss odd-ball old folders by defunct makers in a "Vintage" category rather than in "Other Boats".
I think it is also helpfull to potential new owners of folding kayaks if all this vintage stuff doesn't clutter up the relevant discussions for new, reliable and readily available folders.

Thoughts?

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:12 am 

Sounds good to me. A fellow collector, huh?
I've two Tyne Prefects awaiting some spare time for me to delve into the mystery arts of reskinning (I like the idea of trying Tom Yost's methods with PVC, but would like to keep the canvas deck, which is in good nick), and a Klepper T9, which thankfully is holding up well to real-world use after the addition of some hypalon strips over the fold lines where the rubber had dried out and begun to flake. I've also managed to acquire a Granta folding sailing canoe (read, kayak), which a friend is looking after for me, and a Hellas two-seater. Both of the latter probably need some work and likely need reskinning, but I haven't actually got beyond constructing them in the garden yet.
My brother in Sweden has a Hammer Seewolf, which he tells me he thinks will need some tlc sooner rather than later. So, yes, I think I know whereof you speak in terms of the danger of unfinished 'projects'. That said, I'm all in favour of a forum category for the older folders and how to keep them going!
Thanks.
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:58 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Chris,

I like the idea. It would be useful to be able to have a place to go to post and read about all things historic, including restoration techniques that may apply to specific models or may have a more general application. So, maybe a vintage folders and restoration category?

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:06 pm 
forum fanatic

Hi Chris:

I also have an interest in this topic. Besides collecting and repairing old folders, I built a copy of an historic boat (Gesa Drau) from scratch using references such as Lorenz Mayr's book "Eskimokajaks auf Gebirgsflussen".. My latest dream project is to build a copy of Eddie Hans Pawlata's Aijuk from 1926 (I have the plans from his 1926 book). It has been a steep learning curve for me regarding where to find materials, selecting appropriate tools, and learning to work them. So, I would be extremely interested in sharing any information on this topic. For example, if I go forward with the Aijuk project, I have to figure out how to make long dowel-like round longerons out of white ash.

Admittedly, the homemade kayak and repair forums on this web site can cover a lot of this topic, but not all.

Steve

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pionier 520 Z
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell
Chauveau Slalom
Chauveau Greenland Style Sea Kayak
Gesa Slalom 58

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm 
faltbootemeister

Us addicts are always happy to know there are others.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:40 pm 
Site Admin

The people have spoken. I'll add something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:47 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thank you Michael.
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:00 pm 

Super.
Thanks Michael!
Now for some informative and interesting postings.

Chris

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer