Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Actual Seawave weight
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:45 pm 
recent arrival

Could any Seawave owners kindly give me a better sense of the actual weight of your boat without seats, footrests, and deck. And what it's like hauling the boat on land solo.

The latest Gumotex catalog states 17.5 kg (38.58 pounds), which I assume is with seats and rests. Chris' wonderful Web site says 15 kg (33.07 pounds) without seats and footrests and 16.9 kg (37.26 pounds) out of the bag. Boatpeople give a somewhat vague "closer to 40 pounds." Force5Kayaks says 41 pounds with seats and footrests. (Apparently at some point Innova was claiming a weight of 29 pounds, but there are no weight specs currently listed on their site.)

I know with composite kayaks you can get varying weights due to the layup and its not uncommon for a boat to exceed factory weight specs. Is this the case with an inflatable's manufacturing process too? I assume the US-distributed Innova Seawaves are identical to the Gumotexs sold elsewhere in the world, with the exception of labeling.

I'm trying to assess the suitability of a Seawave for an experienced hardshell sea kayaker; especially when it comes to getting the boat from the car to the water. Age and strength limitations make 35 pounds or less seem reasonable to me, with a second trip to get the seat, footrest, paddle and other gear. I'm concerned that closer to 40 pounds may prove challenging (using a cart is an option, but not preferred). While lighter IKs are out there, based on what I've read, the Seawave seems quite well suited for coastal and lake day trips, primarily paddled solo, but on occasion tandem.

Thanks very much for your insights.

HF

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:18 pm 
faltbootemeister

I would say about 35lbs for the boat, footrest and one seat. I can easily carry the boat one handed.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:19 am 
forum fanatic

Hi HF

Can't help you with the weight of the Seawave, I'm afraid, but just wanted to point out that there are plenty of wheeled backpacks available - kayak manufacturer Grabner used to do one with fairly large all terrain wheels but that seems to be discontinued, or there's others like the Aqua Marina Wheelie. They're not particularly cheap (~$100+) but they could be a solution if the boat is slightly over your comfortable carrying weight.

Gumotex Scout