Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 pm 
paddler

Given that I've had the pleasure of paddling both in a number of conditions I feel like I can offer insights, some might be obvious.

First weight and setup, airfusion is a clear winner.
Expedition: is heavier to the point where I dislike carrying it folded up and over the shoulder is unwieldy, adding the backbone makes it worse. Expedition setup is marginally more fiddly since the backbone isn't integrated complicating alignment. With the inflatable floor its just as easy.
Airfusion: is shockingly light for its capability and slung over the shoulder the only problem is wind. Setup is a breeze given the smart layout.

Use cases and flexibility, the expedition
Expedition: If you need one boat get this. Can carry much more gear, internally there is a ton of usable space both fore and aft and just as important it is easily accessible. On top the webbing covers more area and has larger attachment points to distribute the force. The interior is easily adaptable to whoever is paddling, no one I've lent it to has found fault with the comfort. The hat trick is the adaptability of switching from framed to inflatable floor only. The backbone adds speed and tracking but hampers mobility a little and is best left out when maneuvering around rapids.
Airfusion: Space was an issue on an multi day trip and that was with backpacking gear, you have to compromise. The overall design which makes it a joy to paddle and setup hampers gear space. The smart design also limits adaptability.

Paddling, edge to the airfusion
Expedition: Bit of a tank but stable and with the backbone confidence inspiring in all conditions. There is certainly effort getting up to speed and the width is noticeable. However with the backbone it glides well. With an inflatable floor it maneuvers well.
Airfusion: With the skeg its a beautiful boat. Stability is there and yet still responsive. its good. all the time.

Overall a wash, depends on you.