Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:19 pm 
faltbootemeister

So I picked up a FC Wisper XP and my Helios II was getting rather jealous. I took her out and inflated her (hhmm...no jokes here...too easy) for the first time in two years. My Helios II is a 1997 model (well, it says "97 07" on the cross tubing) in that green bean colour.

With the exception of roping around the bow and stern for carrying, there is nothing else. I'd most likely paddle this one solo and it would be nice to be add some more lines on top of the bow and stern to hold down small items, but also the fore "cockpit" area so in case of a capsize nothing gets lost. bungees would be great, but there isn't extra material for me to punch holes in to add tie downs.

Any ideas? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:34 pm 
faltbootemeister

...actually, to elaborate:

What kind of adhesive is recommended if I were to add on D-ring patches? The standard material on Innovas is Nitrylon. When I went to the local kayak shop today, even the sales reps and owner wasn't sure which adhesive to recommend since Nitrylon isn't used as often as, say, hypalon.

The concern is that some adhesives may actually dissolve the Nitrylon. Anyone with experience? Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:49 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

No experience, but does your boat have a repair kit? Can you find what type of adhesive they give with the kit, and try to get more of it?

Alternatively, if it's a "best guess" for adhesive, try it out on a bit of fabric from the patch kit before you use it on the boat.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:35 am 
I have successfully glued, to a Helios, D ring patches made of heavy reinforced PVC (AIRE hull material - what I had on hand) using a very quick setting 1 part urethane glue sold for repairing Caribe brand hypalon inflatables. These D rings were used to hold down a sail rig and were put to the test. They held very well.

I used what I had on hand, and that's always a good place to start. I got lucky and it worked well. That said, any combination should be tested before going whole hog on the Helios. Use alcohol to clean Helios material rather than a stronger solvent that could damage it, and rough up the surface just a little to take the sheen and surface oxidation off. If you have treated the fabric with 303 or similar preservative, make sure you can get it all off (test patches).

Now you are going to ask about the sail rig. It was a Balogh BOSS. My setup was modeled after one made by a fellow who says it was a very sweet sailing boat, and who did quite a bit of traveling with it. My experience was that it sailed well enough for what it was, but that was less than what I want from a sail craft. Sail craft want to be rigid enough for good rudder response, and the Helios flexes quite a bit. I could have lived with this, but the real deal killer is the low freeboard that takes on lots of water in all but very mild conditions. For me, there are better ways to use the BOSS rig.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:56 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks for the suggestions. Innova just got back to me and suggested I use contact cement glue that is safe for hypalon. That makes sense. I think I'm supposed to stay away from glues containing acetone as it will eat through the material.

As a sidenote, Innova also mentioned I should immediately take out the brass fittings and replace them with nickel plated ones. I knew of that problem before.....but I'm not sure how to actually do that. Yes, I'm deficient in the dexterity department. :( Time to get out the ol' screw driver.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:34 pm 
Quote:
As a sidenote, Innova also mentioned I should immediately take out the brass fittings and replace them with nickel plated ones.

Right. I had one come apart at the seams (tropical salt water use) because of this issue. The brass grommets are 2 parts, and a squeeze with a pliers will start them apart enough for you to see how to continue. DO IT NOW. They can be replaced with plastic, nickel, or nothing at all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

saleroso wrote:
Quote:
As a sidenote, Innova also mentioned I should immediately take out the brass fittings and replace them with nickel plated ones.

Right. I had one come apart at the seams (tropical salt water use) because of this issue. The brass grommets are 2 parts, and a squeeze with a pliers will start them apart enough for you to see how to continue. DO IT NOW. They can be replaced with plastic, nickel, or nothing at all.

Is that all? Great...sounds easy enough. I'm already seeing the corrosion and some flaking and yet it's been in the water less than 15 times. Mind you, the original owners didn't rinsh after use so I'm sure that had a part in it.

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:01 pm 
Quote:
Is that all? Great...sounds easy enough. I'm already seeing the corrosion and some flaking and yet it's been in the water less than 15 times. Mind you, the original owners didn't rinse after use so I'm sure that had a part in it.

It's not the brass you need to worry about, it's the union of the boat fabric.

Also, very important, the boat needs to be well rinsed or washed after salt water use. I rinse well with a hose, and my boats still get faded and splotched, even when I apply 303. Better still would be to wash it down well with the net covered sponge that comes with the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:45 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Thanks for the tips, I now have had my 2nd H2 for over 1 year and decided to put in a single seat. Its the same vintage as yours so guess I will pop out the brass grommet and maybe make a dodger. I am still on the lookout for a Sunny or Sawtooth.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny