Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Advanced Elements Kayaks
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:38 am 
Hi,
I'm quite interested in purchasing an AdvancedFrame Kayak from AE and wondered in anyone has any experience with this yak and can share your comments with me. :?
Thanks!

keep Paddling, Keep fishing, Leave no trace.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:33 pm 
forum fanatic

My buddy in Seattle has an Advanced Frame convertible. I've paddled in it before. It's a decent kayak for it's price and purpose. If you paddle it as a tandem, the person in the front seat may find it lacking in leg space. Tracking is also another issue, but maybe it would be better if you add the backbone. Setting up is fast, but drying takes a little extra effort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:25 am 
recent arrival

It is a well designed kayak, company has good customer relations and fast service, even if you're not in the USA (needed a special tool to fasten the valve). The kayak is very stable, e.g. I have no problem with 2 ft waves from the side. It sits comfortable with long legs. Against the the wind it gets harder because you are higher than most kayaks and ride on top of the waves. The tubes cost you space inside. Users seem to like to backbone and the alternative, the new drop-stitched floor. Good inflation already makes a big difference.
When the water is much colder than the air you may need to use the pump after some paddling. You will find lots of info and user experience in the forum on the Advanced Elements website.
When it is colder the kayak gets a bit harder to fold as to be expected for PVC.

John

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:03 pm 
Personally, I thought it was so bad that I eventually threw it in the bin. I did not even want to sell it or give it away.

Poor valves, extremely slow, bad tracking (though any kayak that short w/ a good skeg would behave similar in that regard), & impossible to pump it stiff enough not to sag in the middle when seated. I did not have the "backbone" accessory though, perhaps it improves things slightly.

More of a toy than a proper kayak was my conclusion. Of course, for the price, maybe one can't expect more.

In my opinion, Gumotex Safari (Innova) is much better value, far better quality. (Had one of those as well, but sold it eventually as I rarely used it after moving back to Sweden)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:48 pm 
Hi All,
Thanks very much indeed for the sage advice and reactions to the AE. Will have to think carefully about this type of yak. Hopefully find one for a trial paddle and see just how this particular inflatable can really perform.
Good paddling in 2011!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 pm 
MoeJoe wrote:
Personally, I thought it was so bad that I eventually threw it in the bin. I did not even want to sell it or give it away.

Poor valves, extremely slow, bad tracking (though any kayak that short w/ a good skeg would behave similar in that regard), & impossible to pump it stiff enough not to sag in the middle when seated. I did not have the "backbone" accessory though, perhaps it improves things slightly.

More of a toy than a proper kayak was my conclusion. Of course, for the price, maybe one can't expect more.

In my opinion, Gumotex Safari (Innova) is much better value, far better quality. (Had one of those as well, but sold it eventually as I rarely used it after moving back to Sweden)

Moe,

Your experience is not typical of most AE users. In my opinion, it sounds like your kayak was underinflated. May i ask what type of pump were you using and how much pressure you had in the kayak? Also, May i ask which model you were using? When properly inflated to 2psi, all AE kayaks are extremely rigid and shouldn't have any flex.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm 
We like our Convertible but are buying a LH MK 2 for better performance. The AEC is very very stable and we paddled at consistently over 4 MPH even into the wind. Waves and winds at our beam had little effect on Lake Michigan. The waves were 3-4 ft high and we paddled for almost 4 hours. We will be using the AEC as a guest boat this coming year. My AEC is complete with Back Bone, Drop Stitch floor & both conversion decks. I loved it but I'm sorry we're moving on.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:20 pm 
FrankP wrote:
We like our Convertible but are buying a LH MK 2 for better performance. The AEC is very very stable and we paddled at consistently over 4 MPH even into the wind. Waves and winds at our beam had little effect on Lake Michigan. The waves were 3-4 ft high and we paddled for almost 4 hours. We will be using the AEC as a guest boat this coming year. My AEC is complete with Back Bone, Drop Stitch floor & both conversion decks. I loved it but I'm sorry we're moving on.

Thank you for the kind words regarding the Convertible. The LH MK2 is a very nice kayak, and at $3k+, is in a completely different class than the $700 AE Convertible.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:49 pm 
I will never regret the 1K+ we have invested in the AE Convertible because it got us out on the water for the first time last season. We went out 25-30 times on everything from flat water to 3-4 foot waves and everything in between. I always felt stable. I figure it was a great introduction into the sport of kayaking.