Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:34 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The quest for paddling venues around Beijing continues.... My rule " Do not paddle where you would not be willing to swim is put on hold whenever I go to China. The Wenyu River is no exception, but desperate times call for desperate measures. So,
this morning my friend Fischer, who is budding kayaker and I went off to the river.We caught the bus in front of my apartment complex. I had the Helios packed in a GI duffle bag and the paddles, pfds and drinks in another small duffle. Very easy carry compared to a Feathercraft. We had a single bus change and the 15km round trip was pretty expensive, about 30 cents each. It was a bit less than a km walk to and from the bus stop to the put in and carrying the 380 was a breeze. 10 minutes from bag to water. We launched near a golf course. We paddled a section about 4km long between 2 dams. We did not portage around the dams.I would get some felt soled shoes because of the slipperyness of some of the takeouts and a strong desire not to swim. Boat paddled nicely, even with a soft starboard side toward the end of our paddle. The water was not stinky, but was dirty. Live fish were seen as well as a few ducks on the water. There was lots of algae as well. Total transit time wasabout 45-50 min each way. Going to try and portage around a dam next time. The Helios is the easiest boat I have ever portaged and a pleasant boat to paddle.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:17 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Chuck I hope that you would consider writing at length about your paddling experiences in Asia especially China and Japan, perhaps for a magazine like Sea Kayaker. Fascinating stuff! And I'm becoming convinced that, for many kinds of paddling, an inflatable might be a very good choice. There is much to be said for a boat that is highly portable, quick to set up and, for good measure, "pleasant to paddle"

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:11 am 

Jake wrote:
Chuck I hope that you would consider writing at length about your paddling experiences in Asia especially China and Japan, perhaps for a magazine like Sea Kayaker. Fascinating stuff! And I'm becoming convinced that, for many kinds of paddling, an inflatable might be a very good choice. There is much to be said for a boat that is highly portable, quick to set up and, for good measure, "pleasant to paddle"

SeaKayaker wants pro level photography and they turned down an article because of that, I did have an article published about Tahoe in Sea Kayaker Dec 05. There was a long trip report here on FKO but can't find it since Mike redid the site, maybe he can find it.
Have a report here http://chicagookinawakenjinkai.com/Newsletters.html in either the Mar or June 2010 newsletter. My computer runs very slow here.
Writing about paddling in China would be pretty hard cause.. well the paddling basically sucks. The cycling on the other hand, rocks

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:34 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

This type of small craft journalism might be better suited to a general interest, non-kayaking-specific format. It's the type of stuff that, years ago, regularly appeared in SK Magazine until now when you're more likely to find articles about extreme paddling or painful kayak circumnavigations of small continents and large islands. Of course, your paddling journalism would not be complete without photos to which end a waterproof digital point&shoot for producing scores of JPEGs is all that should be needed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:06 am 

Jake wrote:
And I'm becoming convinced that, for many kinds of paddling, an inflatable might be a very good choice. There is much to be said for a boat that is highly portable, quick to set up and, for good measure, "pleasant to paddle"

I find the Helios 380 a great two person boat. Its ok as a single. Love the portability of the Helios and to me,its on par with an A2, but I do not sail or take long trips with other paddlers. I don't think I would replace my Khats with an inflatable. I am seriously considering a Traveller. It has the river running capability that my Feathercrafts don't.

Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny