Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Opinions of inflatables
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:28 pm 
Hi all, I'm looking at buying a mid range priced, open deck inflatable kayak (Due to storage restraints) to use mainly on calm rivers and oceans but sometimes with surfing and small rapids (Less than grade 2). I was looking at maybe the advanced elements strait edge or the zoik alter ego 1. Does anyone have any experience with those (Or similar boats you like)? Would love to hear from you. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:02 am 
I have an Aire sawtooth which is pretty much the style of boat you are describing, I have never used or seen a Zoik or Straightedge from AE.
Quite honestly you sound like you want the best of both worlds with the ability to tour and run rivers and there are not a lot of inflatables that can do that. I use the Sawtooth and it's bigger brother, the Trinity II for touring and some surfing. I think you could do some WW in the Sawtooth, it is a self bailer so that helps when the boar gets swamped. These are bladder boats so they do retain water and take some time to dry after use which some people don't like.
Your other option might be an Innova sunny or their new Solar. Again this is pretty much the same idea of what you have in mind, these boats are lighter than the Aire sawooth, do not have bladders & aren't self bailing so you would need a bilge pump of some sort. I owned an Innova safari and I can say the build quality was excellent.
I would look at those 2 options, Aire and especially Innova's also have better resale value in case you don't like the boat and want to get rid of it. Go to the Boatpeople.com for more info, they have a ton of info on inflatables and are more than happy to provide you with advice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:50 am 
Yeah I know, I thought I might be pushing it to get something that works reasonably well as an all rounder. Thanks so much reply I'll check out the boats you're suggesting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:31 am 
recent arrival

I recently bought a gumotex seawave and it is excellent. Tougher and better looking than I expected. Of course it won't paddle as well as a rigid hull but I wont notice the difference and the bonus is it's comfortable. A good buy for me, but it really depends what you are looking for. I wanted a sea kayak I could keep in the locker of a boat or in the back of a car and setup quickly for a quick paddle now and again. People have used them for longer adventures though.