Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 pm 
paddler

Hi,
New to kayaking and to this forum. Just purchased a secondhand inflatable and found it has a one inch tear in the nylon outer shell. Can anyone advise how I should fix this?

Thanks in advance

Langdale

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 pm 
Site Admin

Are you sure it's nylon? Most boats are either PVC (inexpensive to mid-priced boats) or Hypalon laminated over polyester. The type of fabric makes a big difference.

Knowing the make and model would help enormously.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:25 pm 
Sounds kind of like an Advanced Elements inflatable.

Langdale, see it you can remove the inflation core from the nylon shell (assuming that's what you are working with). If you can do that repair will be easy. Repair it by stitching up the tear with heavy duty nylon thread. Unwaxed dental floss would work as well. You may need some backing material. After stitching I would add a smear of Aquaseal or SeamGrip to both sides as well.

You might try searching the web for the manufacturers website. They often will post the manual with repair instructions.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:54 am 
paddler

mje wrote:
Are you sure it's nylon? Most boats are either PVC (inexpensive to mid-priced boats) or Hypalon laminated over polyester. The type of fabric makes a big difference.

Knowing the make and model would help enormously.

Thanks for your response. It's a Sevylon Colorado. I thought I read somewhere that the outer shell is nylon.

Any further advise would be appreciated

Langdale

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Yes, the outer shell of your boat is 420d nylon. If if was my boat I would stitch up the tear, then glue it for added peace of mind. If the idea of hand sewing something freaks you out you could just glue it up with some aquaseal http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2291&pdeptid=1032 or seam grip http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=22951&pdeptid=1032 . Make sure you don't glue the shell to the pvc inner bladder, that would not be good.

First thing you need to do if figure out if there is a zipper or sleeve somewhere inside the boat that allows you to remove (or just move) the inner bladder from the spot you need to repair.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 am 
paddler

Thanks HeavyWeather and mje for your advice. Just what I needed!!! Happy to attempt the stitching and sticking myself, just wanted to get the best advice. Thanks a lot

Langdale

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm 
Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:19 am 
paddler

Just now found the time to look at fixing the tear in the nylon outer, and the first obstacle is corroded zippers that I cannot shift. Any ideas anyone? Trying WD40 at the moment but no success yet, although I am a bit impatient!!! While I'm waiting I thought I'd ask the experts.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:01 am 
faltbootemeister

For an easy repair you can just use Tear Aid type A repair tape, or McNett tenacious tape. Either should work well enough for a decent repair if you don't want to go through the trouble of removing the bladders and sewing and gluing.