Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: advanced elemnts frame
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:59 pm 
hi all,

i am getting back into canoeing after a long long break.i do not have room to store a rigid canoe and earlier this year i brought a intex k1 inflatable just to see if i still enjoyed canoeing which i am happy to say i do.the intex is a great canoe considering the cheap price of it.

i am looking to up grade and i am drawn to the advanced elements frame and sport models.being 6ft 4" tall i am worried that leg room might be an issue for me so can i ask if any owners out there can tell me how the boats get on in the leg room side of it.

i have been told that advanced elements expedition is more tall people friendly but i am not drawn towards it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:29 pm 
We started kayaking last year with an Advanced Elements Convertible. I BOUGHT THE CONVERSION DECKS A must have to stay dry! I also bought the Drop Stitch floor and a Back Bone. We loved the boat and used it about 25-30 times last year. Tracking was excellent however a rudder would be nice especially if you want to sail. Last year we used a WindPaddle so a rudder was unimportant. I am 6 ft and my wife is 5ft 6in. I had plenty of room. Your longer legs will still fit fine. My wife says her feet felt cramped up front. They have an inflatable thwart to rest your feet on and it serves as a back support for the seat for the front paddler. The AEC is 15 ft and easily fits 2 + some gear. I think the Expedition is shorter and I don't know if there is a spray deck for it. Look at www.airkayaks.com.

We bought a Long Haul Mark 2 and a 1.6M Kayaksailor this year and we are very happy we did. If money is not the main concern there are many less expensive folding kayaks. A folding kayak will be what you end up with anyway so why not bypass the interim boat and get a folder now. YOU WON'T REGRET IT! Upsides: More room, much better comfort, more stable, faster, more capacity, better tracking, you can sail better, you stay dryer, you will look cooler, Folding kayaks last much longer with proper care. Downsides: Cost more, take longer to setup, some are heavier.

Good luck and have fun on the water.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:36 am 
thanks for your reply and advice frank.i just found the air kayaks site just before you pointed it out.

i am over here in the uk and through air kayaks i can get boat delivered to me for about 25% cheaper than if i buy it from within uk!!.

i am currently bidding on a as new ae frame on ebay uk so if i do not win it then i will buy new from air kayaks.

thanks again

paul