Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gumotex SeaWave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:46 am 
faltbootemeister

Thanks to Onsafari for the heads up on this new inflatable kayak.

onsafari wrote:
yeah I agree, it's a nice looking boat. I always admired the seaker but the massive weight of it always put me off it. There's more detail about the SeaWave here http://www.nafukovacilode.cz/nafukovaci-kajak-seawave if you haven't seen it already (google translate does a reasonable job) - 15ft long and just 17.5 kg (39lbs) is pretty impressive

I'm very intrigued by this boat. I've thought for a long time that Gumotex/Innova needs to offer a light touring inflatable. The Seaker was an attempt, but is hobbled by the weight and bulk. At 65lbs I can't move it around easily by myself, and the huge packed volume means it's a car only boat. Can't fly or public transit it. At 39lbs I could still pick up and carry the SeaWave one handed.

After paddling the Swing I thought that the aluminum spreader tubes it uses to prop up the deck and provide back support really worked well. So I think this solution will work for the SeaWave's deck. I'm not too bothered by the velcro fastening. I've seen it work fine on Pakboats and I doubt I'd be paddling in conditions with heavy waves breaking across the deck and imploding it. And if it does so what? I've paddled the Solar heavily loaded and completely swamped many times with no problems (other than having to bail).

I can easily see this as the kayak I take down to Baja in the future. Should be easily airline portable. I hope that either Innova or the Boat People picks this up for distribution over here!

Post subject: Re: Gumotex SeaWave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:46 am 
forum fanatic

This video of it in rapids is quite impressive as well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ewaeM7LP98. For a long boat it doesn't seem to flex very much

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:53 pm 
forum fan

Does anyone know if the Seawave will be available in the USA or at what price it may sell for?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:06 am 
forum fanatic

Email Innova or the Boat People, would be my advice. While Innova is the main importer of Gumotex boats in the US, the Boat People also sometimes bring in models that Innova has chosen not to pick up (like the old Solar 405 and the current Solar 410C).

Innova's range is looking a little sparse at the moment so they may decide to bring in the Seawave but if they don't, you should be able to get it from Europe. There's a retailer called Bluewater Sports in the UK who say they ship worldwide - not sure of the cost (which will also include import duty of course) but it may not be too prohibitive as the boat weighs only around 40 pounds. They don't list it on their site yet, but I'm sure they will in due course. Price in Europe is around 1000 euros, which is about $1350

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:45 am 
paddler

I spoke with Lee Arbach about this boat (I bought a Solar 410 from the Boatpeople which is perfect for spur of the moment paddles and fast put away) and he said they will not stock it (nor will Innova USA) because it runs around $2500 with both decks and they find inflatables at that price do not sell. TBP will special order it for you though if you wish. My Solar has been bombproof and as a double it is great, as a single (granted I am 6'2" and 210 lbs) it tends to taco a little unless you keep it really tightly inflated whereas the Seawave is a higher PSI so should not. My hope is that the Seawave is the perfect middle ground for use in ocean water between the Solar and my Long Haul Mark II. Let me know if you buy one, I am curious how well it works. I live in Manhattan and kayak mainly on day trips in the area (Hudson River boating with heavy high speed ferry traffic is the ultimate in high stress boating) and the Solar is the only boat you can wipe off and put away without drying it for days on end, great design. I would love it if the Seawave were as good as it looks. Question: is there any such thing as too many kayaks? My wife wants to know :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:59 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have five inflatables and a sixth on the way so I'd say no, you can't have too many kayaks. My wife would disagree though :)

$2500 for the Seawave puts it right up there with the new Feathercraft Aironaut and I'm not sure it can compete. Until the feathercraft was announced I was planning on getting a Seawave. I think it looks like a great design that has some advantages for the kind of touring I like to do - looks like it can pack enough for a couple of weeks and be stable and steady in most conditions. Maybe someday I'll get one. Maybe the Aironaut will be so popular Innova realizes there is a niche for an expensive inflatable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:26 am 
paddler

I spoke to Lee about the Aironaut as well, like you my first reaction was "this is perfect!". Lee advised that Feathercraft's inflatables have not been as hardy or as well designed as their foldables, although he has not actually seen and touched the Aironaut. At that price point the Innova can carry up to 3 people, a lot of gear and has been tested in France in sea coast conditions. I am still thinking about it but at the Innova's higher PSI and my own experience that the Innova hull material seems bulletproof I am leaning toward the Innova because it gives me the option of a duo and the Aironaut does not. I will be happy to post a review if I get the chance to try either one, I am sure the New York Kayak Company will have an Aironaut to try sometime this Spring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:42 am 
faltbootemeister

I've seen the Aironaut close up and should have one in the next couple of weeks. The material does not seem as bombproof as the Innova/Gumotex nitrylon, but it certainly seemed to be rugged enough. I'll probably be painting aquaseal over every little scratch after every trip though :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:33 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I'll be looking for your report from the field after you get your new Aironaut. If this boat paddles as well as initial reports from FC personnel seem to suggest, it will likely out perform any similar inflatable on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:55 am 
forum fanatic

Congrats on the new addition to your fleet, paddlesheep.

We're all waiting… ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'm waiting too! Hopefully just another week... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:05 am 
forum fanatic

Further to the 'will it be available in the US' question, Gumotex is currently testing a new boat called the Framura

According to Gumotex via Google Translate.. "The first of these was a new expedition kayak in two versions. One version of material Nitrilon for the European market and the second version of the material Hevealon for the American market. Both proved to be structurally large mi-quality, driveability than-expected. Among the advantages are clearly superior roadholding, slip and speed of the kayak. Yes, it's a bit at the expense of stability and easy to operate datelnosti, which is in turn in a kayak Swing preference. New kayak with the working title Framura so designated will have experienced users with higher demands for quality over long distances.

Predisposes him to our measurements, we also from extending Ších distances over 5 km at an average speed able to go around 6 km / h and at a short distance we were able to achieve maximum speed of over 12 km / h. It is in an inflatable kayak very good result, which we have not reached even to the last year of new Vink Seawave."

Dimensions are currently 410 cm long, 75 cm wide, max payload 180 kg. No details about weight as yet

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:12 pm 
forum fanatic

Well spotted onsafari. I was out in my Grabner Amigo yesterday (similar to your Barum Amigo?).
It was calm enough but pushing an Amigo for 14-sea-miles takes it out of you.
I knew it would be slower than my previous Incept, but I much prefer Grabner's Hypalon-type fabric.

I wonder if Framura could be a contender.
I see here
http://www.hydromagazin.cz/clanek/1218- ... u-outdoor/
(where you got the pic) that it uses spars to keep the lightweight fixed deck up like the SeaWave (and an Incept Tasman), and the back deck has handy access zips at the back - a great idea

After seeing and reading about the new Aironaut I was thinking why can't we have a twin-side spar IK with no floor chamber. Surely they can make enough buoyancy and rigidity from the sides using high pressure? With no floor (or just a drop stitch 'board', like a SUP) you sit lower which = lower CoG so an IK can be narrow and still be stable. Plus the boat is less wind prone: another 'over buoyant' IK drawback. Would need a deck I suppose, but zips can make that less of a pain.

I have begun to think high pressure tubes combined with drop stitch floor is the key with true, rigid, all-air IKs. But that requires a well stuck together boat. My feeling of watching vids of the SeaWave was that that boat was not stiff enough.

Interesting times with IKs. Getting better and better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:11 am 
forum fanatic

My Barum is essentially a Helios 340. It might actually be the Albatros rather than the Amigo.

Re your point about IK floors, wouldn't the problem be that it would be impossible to shape the hull, so while it would be rigid it would be flat. Not sure whether that would compromise speed particularly but I'd imagine boat handling would be affected (watching the nimble G'tex Baraka in whitewater in Vincent Nicolet's vids compared with Sea Eagle's Explorer, the Sea Eagle seems to suffer from a marked handling deficit although that of course could be down to the respective skill of the paddlers.)

It'll be interesting to see how the Framura turns out. The Full Moon blog about the Aironaut, which I'm sure you've read, has a side-by-side pic of the Aironaut alongside the Seawave and the Seawave looks frankly piggy and lumpen beside it. It's possibly an unfair comparison as the Seawave is more decked-if-you-want-to recreational boat than uncompromising sea kayak but Feathercraft has certainly moved things on a fair bit.

I guess ultimately though, solo ISKs (inflatable sea kayaks...) are pretty niche. The Boat People never carried the solo Seaker in stock as nobody ever wanted it and I'm slightly struggling to see much of a market for either the Aironaut or the Framura, appealing though they may be to IK nerds like me.

Edit: Just found this G'tex promo vid which has a few seconds of the Framura on the water http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT4UuP0KYkc. It's no Aironaut but it looks OK. Does sit high in the water though

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:00 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gumotex-Seawave ... 3a92a0ac1e
Do not know the seller or what sort of import duties could be involved

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny