Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gumotex SeaWave
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:20 am 
forum fanatic

yeah they ship to the US, as do Solely Marine. Shipping costs are about $50, import duties and tax add about 15% your end I think

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:14 pm 
forum fanatic

Quote:
...while it would be rigid it would be flat...

You have a point there. Smooth is good of course, but a table-flat underhull like Sea Eagle (or packraft), can't help tracking.
I don’t think they’ve devised curved/shaped drop stitch panels yet, but I bet someone is working on it.
Goodyear made a drop stitch Inflatoplane 50 years ago.

A friend was asking French Gumo importer, Laurent Nicolet (brother of Vincent) about the new Framura (details here).
L owns a Seawave as you may know, and says he regularly runs Gumotexs over-pressure.
Apparently the 0.25 bar is a conservative figure to get round careless users who leave them out to bake.
Like other Gumboats, the Seawave has a PRV in the floor, but 0.3 (same as my Grabner) in the round side tubes significantly improves performance, he says.
Some even run 0.4 or 5.8 psi which is getting to drop stitch levels. L added he’s careful to air down as soon as he gets ashore on a hot day.
I must say I’d be tempted to add a PRV to the sides. Like Full Moon says, they offer peace of mind.

I wonder if that's why the Aironaut (and Incept, come to that) have PRVs all round - to protect the side chambers which -
certainly on the Airo - look far from simple round tubes and may have I-beams to create that great shape.

I found that Full Moon blog and have to say side-by-side the Seawave appears ‘normal’ for an IK - it’s the Airo that looks unnervingly like a proper sea kayak.
Feathercraft really deserve an inflatable award for that one.
I have a similarly ‘uncomfortable’ pictures of my old Incept alongside my mate’s 21-inch plastic coffin.
Speed was almost the same and I know which one I preferred (or could fit in).

I looked into getting a used Grabner Explorer I. Nice and pointy but they’re hard to find in Europe, have unnecessary inflatable decks and are crazy price new.
So based on Nicolet’s observations, for about the same as a used Explorer, I’ve just bought a new
Seawave from Czech Rep for about 20-25% less than they go for in the UK or France.
For all its girthyness alongside an Aironaut, the Seawave is much more suited to my kind of use.
I usually go out by myself and I would be way too nervous sealed inside a sleek, tippy Aironaut when the wind got up.
It did that the other evening when we went on a 4-mile run to a mussel beach.
I felt OK out in the bay as the backwind pushed me about in the Amigo. Matey in his 21” PK felt safer close to the shore.

Another self-justification I’ve just connoted for my recent purchase is that a single-side-tube like
Seawave may offer less side windage (height) that a twin beam like an Incept or Aironaut, even if those boats are less wide.
More side height = less splash over of course, but a Seawave deck sees to that. And must say my
Seawave looks quite kayak-like with a the deck on.
You can't say that for all IKs.

Laurent says the Framura will be an 0.25 like the Seawave (or marked 0.25 for France), but I’m happier with the
Seawave’s optional deck arrangement (I long thought of doing something like that to my old Sunny).
Plus the extra 0.5mph over the Amigo will be welcome. And who knows, maybe even some glide.

My Seawave is listed at about $900 for the basic boat at boatpark - and that’s with 21% CZ tax which I imagine they’d drop for an out-of-EU sale.

Great to have a Gumboat again. Sadly next 4 days are howling winds.

Ch

(my Grabner for sale in the UK/EU, fyi)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm 
recent arrival

Hello Forum!

Got one of these about a month ago. Been out a few times. I'm not an experienced paddler but I'm enjoying this boat. It packs and unpacks easily and you forget you are in an inflateable when on the water. An added bonus is he comfort level which is high.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:58 am 
forum fanatic

LitePack Framura now available in the US as the Swing EX. Details on the Innova website

Gumotex Scout

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:22 pm 
recent arrival

Thanks to Chris's information - and after much internet research - I ended up importing a Seawave to Australia from Boatpark. The process was relatively easy and painless. The boatpark people do discount the VAT/GST for out of EU purchases but this is made up by the shipping / customs. The total cost (with pump and few other bits) was around AUD 1,100.

I have had the kayak for a few weeks now and have taken it out on couple of rivers, lakes and the sea. It has exceeded my (admittedly low!) expectations and I am really happy with it. I took it out to a normally quiet Melbourne bay beach in some reasonable surf and it was a lot of fun trying to surf this beast around startled looking swimmers.

Inflating and deflating this monster is getting easier each time.

Some initial thoughts:

Build quality is excellent.
Can easily accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids.
Paddles ok as a solo
The travel bag is surprisingly good. At the weekend a couple of people asked where I got my "awesome drybag" whilst on the beach.

Dislike:

Lack of self-bailing floor makes surf / waves interesting (I don't have the deck)

Hope this helps,
Guy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

Well count me in as a member of the Seawave club. You guys convinced me :) Just ordered up one with the single spraydeck from boatpark.eu.

I almost, almost picked up the Innova Swing EX this weekend but then came across this thread again. And then I read a couple of reports that say the Swing EX feels 'twitchy' and 'tippy'. So I thought, well I already have a boat like that, the Feathercraft Aironaut and I don't need another! So the Seawave it is. And now I play the waiting game for it to be delivered from the Czech Republic to Canada.

Lee from the Boat People has written something about the Seawave coming in around $2500...that's way overstated. The Seawave plus shipping comes out to be about $300 more than the Innova Swing EX, if I bought it locally. Around the same price if I bought in the US with our dollar so low right now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:05 pm 
faltbootemeister

Congrats on ordering the Seawave paddlesheep. It's a big boat for solo paddling, but it should be just fine for multi-day trips.
Post some pics when you have them :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:00 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

If it comes to pass that our next Florida winter rental doesn't include a garage where I can safely secure my Kurrent, I'll likely be looking about for an inflatable. The Sea Wave seems too much boat for my 160 pounds. That leaves the Aironaut (Will I become comfortable with its low initial stability?), the Safari and the Swing EX or, possibly, a used Feathercraft Java. So many boats, so little time!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

Wow that was fast! Boatpark shipped it on Monday and it arrived today!

Got the sprayskirt, single deck and an inflation gauge. Hope to get it on the water for a trial run this weekend, then use if for the easter camping trip I have planned.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:12 pm 

Congrats on your new duckie! Let us know what sort of a swimmer she is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:06 pm 
faltbootemeister

Jake wrote:
The Sea Wave seems too much boat for my 160 pounds. That leaves the Aironaut (Will I become comfortable with its low initial stability?), the Safari and the Swing EX or, possibly, a used Feathercraft Java.

Jake, have you considered the Framura? Same dimensions as the Swings EX but tougher and probably faster due to it's smooth material.
FC is rumoured to come out with an updated Aironuat. Will be interesting to see the changes they made.
The Safari is nice, but if one isn't used to hardshells (I think you are) it's tippy. It's also quite slow and hard to keep going straight, but not as bad as the Swing I though.
As for the Java... I wouldn't recommend it. With so many straps and strigs to tie, it's takes lots of time to assemble and take down. It dries very slowly due to its double skin (I built a drying rack for it, but it still took a few days to dry completely). For its size it's also slow, and uncomfortable after a few minutes (FC admitted they have learned a lot since the Java was first introduced). When I first bought it a few years ago I thought it was the best thing ever invented since apple pie... but then I changed my mind and sold it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

Took my Seawave out camping over the Easter weekend. Because I was also testing out my new hammock underquilt and it was going to rain I had too much stuff (tarps, extra clothes) to fit it all under the deck, so I paddled it open through the hail and rain and thunder and lighting and wind we got heading out. I love the kayak already, very stable and comfortable to paddle, faster than the Solar. Not as fast as the Aironaut but a different world in terms of primary stability!

The underquilt worked great too so hopefully I can lighten the load and use the cover for my trip next week.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm 

Paraglia, It doesn't look like the Framura is easily available in North America. Innova's version, the Swing EX, is made from the less durable Litepak material and I think these inflatables need the highest denier count they can get. I'm mostly a day paddler and I think that the Aironaut would probably be more of a performance boat than the Framura/Swing EX but such might not prove true. And, then, the Aironaut is about twice the price of the Framura. It would be interesting to compare the relative performance of each boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:52 pm 
forum fan

Hello All,

We live and paddle in SF bay area.

Just pre-ordered a Seawave from boatpark in Czech Rep. and the person in charge of international deliveries will be getting to me next week. I wasn't able to use their website to order automatically as it does not have the option of deducting 21% for VAT that we are not supposed to pay (outside EU).

Can't wait to try the 'ultimate' inflatable. I will be paddling in a double configuration though (2-person deck).

Currently I have the Innova version of Swing II and their spray skirts. We paddle in SF bay area, Tomales bay, ocean and Sierra lakes mostly.

The reasons we are switching to Seawave are a little bit more room for me in the back (I am 6ft tall, 185 lbs. with long legs and my GF is 5.2, 105 lbs. with good-looking legs) and the ability to take off the deck and paddle solo. We also plan on doing some kayak camping, so a good carrying capacity is a must.

Surely, Seawave is more of a kayak in every respect, but Swing II has its merits. For one thing it is light and my GF really likes that. It is easy to inflate and deflate, sheds water and dries fast, easy to fly with and the material is really good even though I was initially unsure.

I have a few questions for those of you who have already paddled Seawave.

Do any of you have experience with Gumotex spray skirts?
On their website it shows they have shoulder straps and are in red color.
The ones I use on our Swing II currently are from The Boat People, black with 5 velcro points (thanks NASA) and have no shoulder straps. They do have the release strap though.

Any opinions on whether the ones I have can be used on Seawave and/or if one type is better than the other? I have noticed on the youtube instructional manual for Seawave that the deck coamings have stiffeners, while Swing II doesn't and I'm not sure if the skirts are interchangeable. What do you think of adding a few more velcro points for firmer grip and water-resistance (while still being to release it in case of emergency)? On Swings, velcro seems to be sawn through the coaming, not glued on.

The other question is about the mesh net that is behind the back seat, instead of criss-cross bungee cord that is in front. On our Swing, the bungees are on both sides and the mesh on Seawave doesn't look very sturdy/useful to me. At least in the pictures. That is where I keep my PFD, flip-fops, etc. when paddling. How useful is the mesh net and is it made to stretch?

How satisfied are you with the velcro deck overall? How sturdy is it? Does it take too long to take it on and off?

I'd appreciate any insights from the new Seawave owners.

Thanks.

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

Congrats on your new Seawave. It seems more people are now ordering directly from Europe. It's actually cheaper and quicker.
Since I just bought a Feamura from Boatpark, I can only comment on the VAT. This EU only tax gets taken off the purchase price when the order is processed on line. The only thing I did was to leave a note on the order as a reminder. There was no delay for this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next