Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gumotex SeaWave
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi Kalif, welcome to the board and congrats on your new Seawave! So far the kayak has been, for me, the 'ultimate' inflatable. It's compares well to the older Seaker, and is about as fast, but doesn't have the problems that boat had (mainly the weight). I've done three overnight trips with the Seawave now, in some varied conditions and I'm really happy with it. The Swing is also a great kayak imo, but everything you like about it (weight, easy to inflate, sheds water and dries) is there in the Seawave too.

I think with Boatpark they have one guy who's fluent in English and he handles the international orders. Very friendly, I'm sure you'll have no issues. I paid the full price, then they refunded me the 20% and added shipping, which almost came to be a wash. They use UPS and I think maybe the fees cover the tax and brokerage charges? I was surprised to not get a tax bill.

Not sure that the Swing sprayskirts will fit the Seawave, as they're a different design using velcro I think? I ordered the gumotex skirt with mine but don't like it. Too small, especially around the midsection. It's the red one you see in the pictures, with a shoulder strap. I'm not even sure gumotex makes it themselves. The good news is that other skirts will fit. Both the skirt for my Seaker (a seals extreme tour) and my Cooper fit. But unless there's rain or really heavy waves, not sure I need a skirt at all. The coaming takes a plastic tube that you feed into a nylon tube to make it rigid. It was a pain to put in and take out and now I'm just keeping it in place, packs just as easily.

I like the velcro deck and found it pretty easy to get on straight. I discovered the best way is to put the cover on is when the boat is empty, then you can just rip up one side, pack it, smooth it down and do the same to the other end. Very easy, my paddling friends were jealous of how easy it was! Paddling with it on I never felt hemmed into the boat, lots of room to shift around. I sat on the seat back getting in the first time and deflated it. Discovered with the deck on you don't really need the seat. The aluminum bar behind the seat is an awesome backrest. And you get very little water in the boat when the cover is on. I may skip the seat in the future to make packing easier. On 2 trips I went uncovered, one trip with the cover. The first trip I just had too much stuff. The second I cut down a bit and easily fit the cover on. This last trip I went open just to see what it was like (still great). Unfortunately I never really tried the bungees or the netting. The bungees seem a bit loose. The netting seems okay with the cover on and is stretchy. I clip a deck bag to the side ropes and that works well. But I think you need some other gear underneath to support the deck fully.

Some other random comments from others: "looks like a real kayak!", "really visible at a distance on the water", "where did you get that thing?"

Good luck with the Seawave! Here's a shot of me with my boat fully packed heading out to camp on Keats Island here in BC.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:27 am 
forum fan

paraglia wrote:
Congrats on your new Seawave. It seems more people are now ordering directly from Europe. It's actually cheaper and quicker.
Since I just bought a Feamura from Boatpark, I can only comment on the VAT. This EU only tax gets taken off the purchase price when the order is processed on line. The only thing I did was to leave a note on the order as a reminder. There was no delay for this.

Hello and thanks paraglia.

Yes, the exchange rate is in favor of US dollar right now, and Seawave and Framura are not available here anyway. Helios I and II are a steal compared to what they go for here in the states. I owned H2 and it is one seaworthy kayak. I just wish they made it two feet longer.

I've been considering Framura as I think they really nailed it with that one, but then I'd have to have two because I paddle with my GF and then I'd have to tow her all the time when the weather overwhelms her. So, I decided to go with Seawave. It's more versatile.

How do you like Framura so far compared to your folders and other IKs (I see you have some good kayaks in your quiver)? How's stability compared to your Solar. I've owned Safari and I assume it's similar if not better because of longer waterline. I guess accessing the underside of the deck to dry it before storing might be an issue (it's similar on my Swing II) but not really a big deal.

I am surprised that you were able to order it online without having to pay VAT. I spoke to someone from boatpark today (I speak Czech) and he said that the website is not set up for VAT adjustment and the person in charge of intl. orders is away until next week. Maybe he didn't know. We'll see. I'm waiting for now. I think they have to get a separate quote for shipping for each location as they don't know it in advance and sometimes bundle a few orders. When I contacted them over a year ago they quoted me $165 in shipping for one Seawave (including the deck) but only $185 if I order a Seawave plus Solar.

Not sure about Canada, but here it seems I'll have to pick it up at SFO (Airport) and deal with duty/customs there.

I hope to get it by memorial day to do some paddling.

Best

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:53 am 
forum fan

paddlesheep wrote:
Hi Kalif, welcome to the board and congrats on your new Seawave!

Hello Paddlesheep and thank you. This forum is very helpful and I've learned quite a bit from it. I have also read some great posts on your website/blog over time.

That's a great picture and now I realize how big that kayak is. Thanks for the spray skirt tips. I ordered them already and I think at least one will be fine for my GF if the other one is too tight for me.

I think PNW being a paddling paradise has less wind and you might get away without a spray skirt, but here in SF Bay it is often used, not only to stay dry but warm too (that was one of the reasons we switched to Swing from Sunny).

Good to hear that you like all aspects of the boat especially because you have extensive experience paddling Sunny and other IKs. 'Flying' weight is important for me too because we like to use it for kayak-snorkeling trips in Hawaii.

Funny how the decked inflatables can pass for a 'real' kayak. I've noticed that with my Swing II too. Only after inspecting it up close, people realize it is an IK. And still they ask just to make sure.

Thanks again for the tips. Very useful.

I'll report and post some pics once I take it out for the first paddle.

Cheers

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:05 am 
forum fanatic

Great to see boatpark getting all this business. They have the best prices by far and great service.
I bought my very first Gumo from them in 2003: a used Safari for £120 that would not go straight nor stay upright. Then a Sunny (and a Junior…) and lately a Seawave with solo deck.
I say this every time but it really is the best all-round IK for my needs: light, long, fast, well equipped and well made.

Not had much chance to use it until now but allow me to give you Seawavers a tip: run higher pressure in your side tubes for a stiffer and therefore more responsive boat. It’s what the Gumotex France importers suggest and as you may know they produce full-on vids for their products and may have had a hand in the Framura design. IMO the Seawave’s Grabner-like built quality can handle the pressure.

Of course running over the ‘advisory’ 3.6psi (.25 bar) has it’s risks when the tide goes out on a hot day - I learned that lesson with my FC Java one time… So I fitted some PRVs (same Ceredi brand as the OE PRV in the floor) rated at 4.78 psi (0.33 bar) - ie: about 35% over.

I took it out for a run on Venice lagoon on the weekend and all I know is I easily kept up with my mate in his Big Kahuna and several hardshell sea kayaks. With my previous Grabner (also very stiff, but wide-nosed) I could not keep up with the Kahuna. I'd say same performance as my former K40, but better fabric and build quality and < half the price.

So – until my Seawave blows apart at the seams – I’m very pleased with my HP adaption. You can feel the added tension in the side tubes compared to the .25 bar floor. It feels no greater than previous IKs on a hot day but with the added benefit of purging before destroying itself.

If you’re interested in fitting side tube PRVs the details are on my paddle blog - worth reading as it can get a bit awkward.

I also ditched the supplied seats and footrest from new and adapted my SoT backrest / Alpacka seatbase and cunning adjustable footrest tube set-up from my Grabner. Lighter, more comfy and more adjustable.
I see the new Sea Eagle drop stitch IKs use a similar footrest tube.

Have a great summer in your Seawaves ;-)

Last edited by ChrisvonS on Sun May 31, 2015 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 3:13 am 
faltbootemeister

Great photos of the Venice paddle Chris! I haven't yet tried inflating up past 3 psi on mine. Still a bit nervous after an earlier mishap with a hot beach but I may give it a try. I'm pretty happy with the performance so far. Have done about five overnights with the Seawave so far, heading out again tomorrow night. Mostly good conditions but a bit of a messy sea one day and the Seawave handled it easily. Fast too, for an inflatable. I'm paddling mainly with hardshells and am still behind, but not that far behind. My friends are surprised with how well it keeps up.

I feel almost guilty admitting it, but I'm not totally sold on the cover. It sure makes the boat look sharp, and maybe would lower wind resistant if I packed more carefully. It's very easy to pull up and pack and unpack. But I love the feel of an open boat on a sunny day. And I love how easy it is to get in and out. Have had a few very tricky landing so far. Pulling out on two feet of rock, then hauling the boat up a 10 foot rock slope, easy! :) The cover just makes it that more difficult to squeeze in and out of. I plan to try it again this weekend though.

For me as well, this is a near perfect inflatable. I am keen to try Paraglia's Framura though...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 am 
forum fanatic

I agree the Seawave looks surprisingly sharp with the cover on - almost like a proper kayak.
I'm glad I have that option, but I usually go out solo so the conditions when I can do that safely don't usually merit a cover.
Plus as you say it's just so easy to load up or get out - its one of my favourite things about IKs when you watch others doing the delicate hardshell entry/exit dance (of course they soon fly past on the water).
And if it's chilly I'd sooner wear a dry suit, as I did last year on a week in the Inner Hebrides with the Grabner.
My Incept had a roll back/zip up cover - I used it once to try out and that was it.

From the specs alone it's hard to see how a Framura would outperform a Seawave at sea: it's shorter, runs 20% less pressure (officially) and has a fixed deck.
Besides looking great I think it would be more effective on a whitewater river where the long Seawave might be a handful.

Give her an extra psi in the sides this weekend, you may become a convert, too.
After owning the 5psi Incept and the 4.3psi Grabner, at my weight I'm not sure I could go back to a 3psi (0.2 bar) IK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

I gave the extra inflation a try this past weekend, not up fully to 3.5 psi but about 3.3. Thought the boat felt a little bit more solid, maybe even a smidge faster? I'm still surprised at the speeds I'm getting out of this thing. Had a bit of a harrowing trip out in the dark, we launched at 1 am. Usually things are calm at night but not this night! Mood was up so visibility was good but did have a few "what am I doing?" moments. The Seawave handled things superbly. Calm and stable even with some steep waves. Anyway after getting in I took air out of all the chambers as the kayak was sitting up above a pebble beach in the sun. When I went back to it on Sunday, even with the reduced inflation. The kayak felt completely firm! Could hardly get any more air inside. But once it hit the water it went soft and I had to pull back in and pump it up again. Air temp really does make a difference! I always let air out when I stop and the boat is on shore in the sun. I always carry a k-pump on every trip and it's no harder to reinflate than it is to put a hatch cover on, for example. (pebble beach in hot sunlight all day + fully inflated kayak = kaboom!)

I really do think Innova should get on introducing this kayak in North America. It really is a winner.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:26 pm 
forum fan

Hi All,

My Seawave arrived and I have taken it out twice so far. Here are some assembly pics from the maiden voyage:

http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bayar ... ry/SeaWave

The boat came in two packages via UPS, all well packed and organized. The quality of the kayak build is great, except for a few spots where velcro was not sewn well. It is not the one on the flap, but on the main strip that is attached to the boat. I think I'll have to glue it so it doesn't spread to the rest of the strip, but I'm waiting for a response from Boatpark as to what glue to use. Most likely the one that came with the service pack.

I ordered both single and double decks as well as spray skirts. It is very versatile because of the removable deck. You can go double and have the rear part of the deck off for more room in the back. Or, if going solo, do the same thing and tuck in the rest of the deck under the frame in front of you. That way you get more room and protection from the spray and sun.

As far as performance this is a short version (I'll post more when I take it out in a variety of conditions):

As a double:

Great glide. Something new that I didn't have in Sunny or other kayaks. It is much easier to sustain 3.5 Knots for longer periods. Top speed we did so far was 4.8 KN in calm water. I was able to do similar speed in Sunny but not sustain it for long time as easily as in this one. The reality is that wetted surface area is larger on a large boat and since the propulsion is limited (paddle, not wind or power), longer vessel does not necessarily translate to a much faster one. There is a point of diminishing returns with each foot added despite the increase in theoretical speed possible because of the water line length. My GF (105lbs) was as a ballast only at times and I could still maintain the same speed. I would say that this boat is ideal for a single person with about 100lbs of gear.
The tracking is superb as a double and the wind does not affect it at all. We've had it in about 12 kn so far and in calm water.

Surprisingly, when paddling in double configuration, there is less room to move around than I had in my Sunny or Swing and my waist is 34 (6', 185lbs). Even with the deck off. It is expected because of the frames (stiffeners) that keep the sides close together. and the overall design change. However, the cockpit is generously sized and when you move the back seat forward a little, the problem is solved. Not as easy to get out then because of the frame in front of you but much more comfortable.

The new seats have one valve and I have noticed that deflating it a little helps with comfort. It is a very nice thing to lean backwards in this kayak and just chill. Our Swing 2 has that buckle and zipper that always bothered me slightly, so I had to adjust it each time I paddle.

Another new feature is that the central beam in the floor protrudes down in the water and up under a seat so I don't find it very comfortable if the seat is deflated all the way (feel free to "crack" any jokes here).

The looks are great, especially when rigged as a single. Overall, I am happy with this kayak.

We are going to Sierra lakes this weekend and I'll report more when I come back with some pics.

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

Last edited by Kalif on Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:31 pm 
forum fan

Adding this because of the post limit of 3800 char.

As a single

Now, sitting in the middle is ideal, and tracking and glide are great. In a fresh breeze though, I'd like some additional weight for sure. Remember that in longer kayaks the bow and stern are further from the pivoting point (paddler in the middle) so even with low profile, the overall windage is higher and it takes less force blowing at the bow from the side to turn it sideways. I had been able to maintain Sunny and Helios in a straight line without having to paddle on one side often. That's something to keep in mind when paddling solo. Loading it slightly solves that issue. Tracking is significantly better than any other gumotex/innova kayaks I've paddled, but there is a tradeoff there too. It takes more effort to spin it on a dime. There's nothing like a 'roadside show' in Safari in 2-3 ft waves in warm water. But that's a different kayak altogether and not made for covering miles as easily as Seawave.

Cheers

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:13 pm 
forum fan

A few pics from Tomales bay paddle:
Attachment:
1 (Large).jpg

Attachment:
7 (Large).jpg

Attachment:
9 (Large).jpg

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:16 pm 
forum fan

A few more:
Attachment:
8 (Large).jpg
Attachment:
3 (Large).jpg
Attachment:
5 (Large).jpg

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:14 pm 
forum fan

Some more pics of SeaWave.

http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bayar ... ry/SeaWave

http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bayar ... ton%20Lake

This is me using SeaWave as a SUP. This demonstrates not so much the stability of the kayak, but its rigidity. It can be inflated quite a bit more that other ones I've owned and because of different construction (I-beam in the middle of the floor) I doesn't really 'break' in the middle.
BTW, the hat I got at Costco for around $15 is great for paddling in the wind and covers a lot (It's not great looking though, please don't laugh :-)). But seriously, one of the best paddling hats I've had.

http://s1045.photobucket.com/user/bayar ... Wave%20SUP

I'll post more about the kayak and its performance later.

Sevylor SVX5oo
Swing II
Seawave
Solar410c

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:09 am 
forum fanatic

Did my first big open sea run on in the Seawave the other day. 31kms dawn till dusk via some fascinating islands - all good.
Cruised all day with a mate in a hardshell at just under 4mph and felt a lot less tired than a similar trip in my blunt-nosed Grabner a year ago.

Fyi, my PRV mod on the side tubes needs a 10-pump top up after a few days, but then so does the floor to a lesser extent.
The great thing is you just pump all 3 chambers until they hiss - no need for a pressure gauge.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:49 pm 
forum fanatic

More Seawave (and 2 x Helios) action - this time from Corsica with a plucky French family.
http://gr20ettourdecorseenkayak.blogspot.fr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:22 pm 
paddler

Greetings, new to the forum. Am thinking about getting either Helios II or Seawave. Would the latter be more sturdier and versatile over the former? We're a family of 3 + a dog, would love to have all aboard. I'm also into fishing, so would be great to have a stable kayak in inlets and ocean shorelines with a moderate wave. I emailed boatpark but struggled deciphering their Engish..not sure how they deduct Czech VAT? Any experience with that or advice how to place an order? Thanks. Shipping to Long Island, NY.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next