Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:14 pm 
I've been restoring an ancient Pouch RZ85 folder, but feel that the lack of any reserve buoyancy is an issue, at least for the moment. I'm new to kayaking and wanted to get on the water so, after more research, I settled on an inflatable and purchased an Advanced Elements Advanced Frame Sport Kayak.

It's a single, so I took it out for the first time in the company of a kayaking friend on a local lake here in Brittany. The Sport was very easy to inflate with the AE double-action pump and the pressure gauge made correct inflation levels simple. Inflation only took 5 minutes. We spent 2 hours on the water, and the Sport handled beautifully, even for a novice like me. It's sturdy, stable and satisfying to paddle. I'm now totally hooked on kayaking.

However, I'm a bit confused by some of the comments on this forum in relation to AE Convertible's poor tracking. Bearing in mind that the Sport is shorter than the Convertible, I nevertheless found that the Sport tracked well, even without the much-mentioned backbone. The lake was a fair size with a bit of wind, but none of this had any effect on the way the Sport moved through the water - I could go where I liked. I weigh about 82 kg (180 lbs), so I'm not light - does this improve the tracking?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:11 pm 
I own an AE Convertible. It was my first kayak and now it is our guest kayak for someone without a kayak that wants to go with us. I found that tracking was fine with or without the backbone. I bought the BB and the drop stitch floor more for stiffness and comfort rather than tracking. We now have a Long Haul MK 2 and the kindest think I can say about the AEC by comparison is it floats, holds 2 people and is fun to paddle & easier to assemble. There is no comparison in quality, durability, stability, speed, usefulness etc... The AEC is a great way to get into kayaking but once you get serious the bloom is quickly off the rose when you would like better performance.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:00 pm 
Frank, thank you for your response. I've been on the water again this week in much windier conditions and the Sport felt just as stable and coped well with the rougher water (I got a bit wetter, of course). I'll be interested to see whether I eventually feel the need to upgrade. I've additionally bought a second-hand 2-seater kayak so that I can go out in company with the children (aged 35-41) and the grandchildren when they come to visit. It's all new to me, so who knows!